Elk County Historical Society

Started by ddurbin, October 22, 2006, 07:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Sorry - I didn't mean to sound snippy - my feathers weren't all that ruffled and it sounds harsher than I meant it. (Written words have a way of doing that! :-[)

genealogynut

Quote from: Mom70x7 on November 05, 2006, 11:55:45 PM
Sorry - I didn't mean to sound snippy - my feathers weren't all that ruffled and it sounds harsher than I meant it. (Written words have a way of doing that! :-[)

Yes, that is very true! I completely agree with that.

I thought maybe what you had expressed was a reflection of how you were feeling, as I remember in a different thread, you had said you were sick that day.  Hope that you're feeling better today.

Thought for the day:  Live one day at a time, enjoy life to the fullest, be forgiving and LOVE MUCH!

Janet Harrington

The write-up that was done for the paper after the ECHS met was done by Paul Boquin who was a writer by profession and yes it was lengthy.  However; Paul has left this world for another and no one has stepped up to take over what he used to do.

genealogynut

Speaking of Paul Bocquin, when he died he left his two homes to the Elk County Historical Society, to be used as museums.  Howard rejected the offer, but Elk Falls accepted his home in Elk Falls, so that house will be converted into another museum.

Teresa

Why did Howard reject the offer?
That house if FULL of antiques.. and every single item is carded and documented.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

genealogynut

I don't recall any explanation given on why the property in Howard was refused.

Wilma

Does anyone know what happened with the property when Howard refused it?

Janet Harrington

It was not the Howard museum that turned it down.  Paul left both houses to the Elk County Historical Society which is the group that just met.  The Howard museums are taken care of by the money left by the Benson's, hence; the name Benson Museum.  The Gragg museum is taken care of by Margaret Gragg's money.  However; it belongs to the museum.  Okay, now the reason why the Elk County Historical Society turned down the houses is because keeping both houses would take alot of work and money.  The Elk County Historical Society is funded by our taxes.  I don't think it has much money.

What happened to the house that the Elk County Historical Society turned down here in Howard?  I think it is sitting in limbo because Paul's will was pretty specific.  I really don't know what is going to happen, but I hope someone is looking out for it and making sure no one breaks into it.

Janet Harrington

Oh yeah.  I probably shouldn't have said that it was just the Elk County Historical Society that turned it down.  Maybe it was offered to the Benson Museum group, but I don't really know.

Mom70x7

Is it possible to read the will to find out specifically what it said? Or do you know?

Are wills public records? How do you access them?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk