PTO or PTA

Started by oldmom, May 10, 2010, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmom

Just wondering, does USD 283 have a PTO or PTA and if so, what is your normal turnout for meetings?

Thanks

pepelect

If you are asking about Longton USD 283 someone from there would be happy inform you.

282 West Elk Schools  has WePats for the elementary school families.   There is a site council for the school buildings and also a booster club.  It depends on what part of the school system you want to become a part. 

oldmom

I was asking about 282, didn't hit the right key!

I was just wondering what your turnout is for meetings (attendance)

Mom70x7

Site Council is changing, so don't know how to answer your question.

There used to be three of them - one for each school. I was on the WEHS one and we regularly had about a dozen at our meetings. Didn't hold any meetings this last year, though.

Within the last month, they scheduled a new site council - with representatives of all three schools - since we're going to have just one site. That meeting was on church night, I had a conflict, so could not attend. I've not heard any reports from that meeting. Hopefully someone was there and they'll come on and talk about it.

oldmom

Thank you, I'm just doing some research for our PTO, and trying to figure out why there is not anymore participation than what there is.

pepelect

If there are over 300 students in school.  You will be lucky to get ten people to consistently show up to anything.  Unless there is a controversial issue meetings aren't sexy.  Then they show up until they don't.  The people that are involved with the school are also involved with everything else.  You only have 7 nights to have meetings so some give and take has to be expected.  Wednesday nights are church nights but Monday night is city council, sports, Farm Bureau, School Board, ....etc.  Tuesday is basketball games, Elk connected meetings, chamber, etc.  Thursday..You can go on and on.  There is always some reason why parents don't show up.  We have tried morning meetings for the FSA or Soil Conservation.  The are noon meetings but if you work are you willing to take off work to attend a meeting.  It would be nice if more people would use net meetings but you would lose the face to face...Good luck.

One way to increase attendance is to feed them.   People love to eat for free.

oldmom

Thanks for the input - I think I'm just having a problem with the same people running everything - city council, PTO, church committees, etc - however, maybe I'm wrong; they are the only ones willing to give their time?...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk