Tidbits from Yesteryear (1925)

Started by genealogynut, October 21, 2006, 12:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
January 8, 1925

The fire department was called down by the Santa Fe station this morning to put out a fire started by parties trying to thaw out the ice and snow on and surrounding the stock scales.
The friends of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Crawford gave them a miscellaneous shower last Wednesday night at their new home on south Wabash.  Quite a crowd gathered with useful gifts and the affair was turned into a party to watch the old year out and the new year in.  A very pleasant time was reported.  Mr. and Mrs. Crawford have a fine little home, modern in all respects and their many friends rejoice with them in its completion.
Mr. and Mrs. Thos. E. Thompson entertained with a three -course dinner last Thursday evening.  The tables were beautfully appointed with carnations and baby's breath and chrystal candle sticks with green candles. The dinner was perfect in all details and was greatly enjoyed by the following guests: Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Zirn, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Osborn, Mr. and Mrs. George Smith, Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Goodwin, and Miss Jessie Cummings, of Topeka.  After dinner the guests enjoyed an excellent program of choice music by the great artists of the world on the victrola.
Mr. and Mrs. P.P. Rhodes entertained with a four-course dinner at their home in Howard last Wednesday evening for the follolwing guests:  Judge and Mrs. A. T. Ayres, Mr. and Mrs. F. L. Dobyns, Mr. and Mrs. Fred R. Cook, Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Rhodes.  The table was very prettily decorated and the dinner was one  of those that Mrs. Rhodes is famous for.
On Tuesday evening  Mr. and Mrs. E. K. Longley entertained a few of their friends at six o'clock dinner. Mr. Longley is justly famed for her cooking and the guests who partook of the real old time hospitality of these good people, enjoyed as well the friendly chat of the evening and this spirit was added to by the singing of several "Homey" songs by Mrs. Ayres.  The guests included Judge and Mrs. A. T. Ayres, Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Osborn and Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Flory.

Janet Harrington

When I have read these in the microfilms during my research on the sheriffs of Elk County, I really enjoyed these little tidbits.  Thanks, Lois, for putting them on the Forum.

Roma Jean Turner

I second that.  We are so lucky to have the old papers with the social events of the day.  I feel
like I have a much closer bond with my ancestors because I have found so much of their day to day lives reflected in the Moline and Howard papers.  Thanks for sharing these.

genealogynut

Thanks, Janet and Roma.  Your feedback is very appreciated.  It helps me to pick and choose, when I  know which articles are enjoyed, when I go looking through papers. And Waldo.....I haven't forgotten your preferences either. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk