Have you planted Tomatoes yet??

Started by frawin, April 05, 2010, 04:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

srkruzich

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Sarah

Quote from: frawin on April 06, 2010, 05:21:08 AM
Steve, I have planted Tomatoes on April 1 in this area, and your area, for years and have rarely ever lost one. I know of no reliable source that gives the average last Frost date as May 1 in this or your area. A hail storm is very possible anytime. Admittedly I do take steps to protect the plants for awhile but it doesn't take that much to do it. You loose a whole Months growing season by waiting and hot weather can slow your plants growth and reduce your crop .

Then you must have lost all your tomato plants last year when that big ice storm hit in April huh? 

I would love to at least get my squash outside.  I think I started them too soon cause I have blooms on them.  The tomatoes need a little bit more time before they're ready to go outdoors.  I may go ahead and put the squash plants outside and take my chances.  If I lose them, I can always replant.

Wilma

You all can have your tomatoes and whatever.  I have a planter of nasturtiums.  They are looking better every day now that they are setting outside.  The desire to plant nasturtiums hit me suddenly one day and as soon as I could, I picked up a package of seed.  I planted them in a hanging planter, set it in the east window and hoped for the best.  Hopefully, they will bloom before anything happens to them.  I haven't had to bring them back inside for more than a week now.

frawin

No I didn't loose any plants last year. I put cages around my plants, put clear plastic around the cages and I cut the bottoms out of gallon jugs and put the jugs over my plants for 2-3 weeks. I pack dirt up around the jugs. The last ice storm last year was the 28th day of March in Elk County.

Jane

I would like to know why every time someone puts a post on the forum, someone has to argue about it.  Just because it is not done your way why is it wrong?  ???

srkruzich

Quote from: Jane on April 07, 2010, 09:02:31 AM
I would like to know why every time someone puts a post on the forum, someone has to argue about it.  Just because it is not done your way why is it wrong?  ???
I don't know about arguing, i know i wasn't.  I know that most tomato problems that one encounters like blossom end rot, can be prevented before it happens by putting a couple tums in the hole when you plant.  Also most of the time we don't think about the root development, and the fruit development. Most of the concern in fertilizing is the foliage.
So when you put epsoms salts in the soil, you will strengthen the tomato plant stalk, limbs, as well as increase your fruit development.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

Jane, who said anything about "wrong." You fall off your web or something today? Why so grumpy? It's too nice a day to be growling at the forum tomato growers.

Sarah

Quote from: frawin on April 06, 2010, 06:05:29 PM
No I didn't loose any plants last year. I put cages around my plants, put clear plastic around the cages and I cut the bottoms out of gallon jugs and put the jugs over my plants for 2-3 weeks. I pack dirt up around the jugs. The last ice storm last year was the 28th day of March in Elk County.

Too much work for me.  I'll just keep mine indoors.  LOL  I actually have blossoms on my squash plants. 

I saw on another forum a woman who just places her plants in a south window and actually grows tomatoes all winter long just in the window and she's farther north.  So, I may try that next year.  We'll see. 

Jo McDonald

Golly -- that sounds like a good deal.  THEN if they grow tall enough, you wouldn't have to wash the window.  YIPPPEEEE  I vote YES!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk