April 2 storm

Started by Dee Gee, April 02, 2010, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Gee

I understand that Howard and Moline got hit hard with the storm this morning.  The Westar service man told me when he fix our outage after 6 hours that most of the Independence crew and others were working in that area because of the storm.  I don't see very many posting from there today.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Mom70x7

Electricity came on about 20 minutes ago.

I left town about 7:45 this morning, apparently just as the electricity went off. Got back about 30 minutes before it came back on.

We had just been talking about having made it through the winter without any major outages.
Spring is a different matter!  :D   ;D   :D   ;D   :D

indygal

The power went off in Howard right before 8 a.m. and came back on around 6:40 pm. Hooray for the Westar team of hard-working folks to get us back online so quickly. We were fully expecting to be without power until sometime tomorrow. The storm was pretty impressive and caused considerable damage, especially in the southern part of town. Outbuildings, sheet metal, fences and anything not staked down went sailing. I can't say for sure, but I guessed it to be a microburst or straight-line winds, about 70 mph. A TV crew was in town today, but of course, without electricity, we couldn't watch ourselves on TV  ??? :P The good news is no people were injured, although a goat was killed when a building collapsed on it. :(

Diane Amberg

It seems nobody was hurt but some buildings and roofs were rearranged.Still true? .

Wilma

One building, a large barn type, was completely destroyed.  The metal siding from it was strung across a couple of blocks.  Some trees were down.  I was lucky enough to not be in it.  It was several blocks south and east of me.  My granddaughter, however, lives almost next door to it.  She came over to check on me later and said that she heard something terrific and got her kids into the bathroom because it didn't sound like there was time to seek any other shelter.  She then took pictures with her telephone of the damage.  We went to Eureka this evening and viewed the damage on our way out of town and on our way back into town.  Lots of smaller damage, too.  Sure glad to get the electric back on.  I don't do so good without it.

Jo McDonald

There was a lot of property damage...from just north of Moline - then northeast through Howard. 
We were very blessed that there was no personal injuries.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Diane Amberg

I'm sooooo glad nobody was hurt.Well except the goat. That was a shame too. Hope that's your share for the season.

Dee Gee

I glad to hear there wasn't anybody hurt and that you have electricity back.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Varmit

...And thats why I live in Grenola!!  Rain and wind but no damage, power was out for about 30seconds.  Glad nobody was hurt in Howard.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

sixdogsmom

Here in Moline, we were without power until about 4:30PM. Outside of some tree damage and stuff blown around, the most damage I saw was the flag poles at the cemetary. The west part of the cemetary lost quite a few poles, and many are leaning at a 45 degree angle; they look like the siberian forest that was exposed to the meteor explosion. I understand that those in the Catholic cemetary fared no better. I had to do some mopping here at home, as I forgot to close the bathroom window the night before the storm. As that room is on the west side of the house, it really got wet in there as a result of that wind. No real damage though.
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk