Elk County & Howard in Wikipedia

Started by Leonardcrl, March 07, 2010, 06:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonardcrl

Hi Folks - It has been a while since I've posted anything but I'm still checking in from time to time.

But the subject today is the Wikipedia pages (Wiki) for the area. Since the first of the year I've had an opportunities to look at the Wiki for several small towns and unincorporated areas.  Some are Excellent some are Good but the majority are pretty poor.  For a quick comparison if you Google [wikipedia Elk County] you will wind up with two hits.  One for our beloved area and Elk County Pennsylvania.  The PA county is 10 times larger in area and and population but it's Web page is does provide a good model of what a county Wiki page can be.  However if you it falls into my classification of pretty damn poor.  As for the KS county page.... well I'll leave that for you to decide :-\.  (Check the "Discussion" tab on each page) There is a link to the Official Elk County Web Site and I invite you to follow the link to Howard.

If you check the pages of the adjacent counties you will observe that they are all pretty much the same containing basic census information which has a template look.  Probably provided by the WikiProject of Kansas.  But they are not much better than Elk's.    I would suggest that you check the Wiki for your home towns and counties pages and see how they stand up.  Then take a look at this page for a small "Census Designated Place" near Santa Cruz CA.  javascript:void(0); ??? ???

The point of all this rambling is that internet search engines appear to prioritize Wiki pages higher than some other results.  Therefore if you want to "Sell" your location maybe you should pay attention to what is on your Wiki page.  For example the county is not Dry, and there is an interesting history associated with Elk County. (The County Seat Wars?) And there is a Newspaper that covers the area but you wouldn't know it from our Wiki page.  :-[ :-[
Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

Teresa

We don't use  Wikipedia... we all just use Derekipedia.. No matter what you ask him ..he has a long and instructive answer... of course ... whether you can believe half of it is another question.. LOL   ;D ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Rudy Taylor

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Leonardcrl

Teresa:  I couldn't find derekpedia.  I do hope it is more accurate then Wikipedia.   ;D

Since I made the post I've been doing some more surfing around.  Interestingly if I enter "Elk County Kansas" in the Google search field I will get 5,360 pages.  The official Elk County site is the first return,  the Wiki page is second and this site is fourth.  (I'll leave the third hit out so you will run the search)  ;)

Rudy:  I get the Casablanca reply. 

Regards
-=crl=-

Regards
-=Carl=-
San Antonio Tx.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk