Good things About Elk County

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, March 01, 2010, 08:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

All of the above

and

people like Wilma who want positives in life instead of always looking for what's wrong . . .

the "it takes a village" mentality . . . when I had kids at home, I loved the fact that everyone watched out for them. Admonished them when needed and always (or so it seemed) took the time to praise them for the positives . . .

I grew up in Iowa, in towns the size of Howard, visited my grandparents and family in Howard each summer, moved to Chicago as soon as I graduated from high school. I loved Chicago; lived there for 2 years. But that was then.

My kids have graduated, don't have to worry about their school any more. We moved here from Independence - the school system here was MUCH better for my kids.

I choose to live in Howard. I like the people, the atmosphere, the shops, the friendliness, the pace of life and the intensity of feelings.

mayflower

I'm lovin' all this positive input!  Thank you Angie; it is so refreshing!

Judy Harder

This sure beats the grumping. I know we all have "Cabin-Fever" At least I hope that is all it is. Some of the
comments made me think about leaving the forum, because it wasn't homey.

I am from Topeka. I go home to visit and may never see anyone I know.

Here, I walk a lot and when I first started walking, there wasn't a day when someone would stop and see if I needed a ride.

When I walk down the street, my arm gets tired with all the waving I do. Seldom is it a car/truck of strangers.
Even visiters to Longton will smile and wave if we make eye contact.

Mom use to warn me NOT TO LOOK in the car that was parked next to us at a traffic light, cause the people might have a gun and shoot into our car.....................Well, in Elk County I am sure there is a gun in the truck, most are prepared for coyotes/snakes and which ever critter needs to be put down. Or armadillo hunting!!
I can walk at night and except my old eyes don't see so well, not fear for my health.

I love it here and plan on staying until my health does fail and then would need to go closer to family, maybe.
Seems I have more family here in the county and even tho we aren't blood kin, we are connected.

This is God's County  Look at all the Christ loving people here.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

greatguns

Elk County is such a good neighbor.  By the way I went to your clinic for the first time today and was quite impressed.  Don't you GOOD people dare leave. :police: :police:

Mom70x7

And I like being able to see the stars at night. And meteor shows.

pamagain

Spent most of 40 years in and around Severy....born and raised there.....graduated from West Elk in the OLD school downtown....most of our family is still there and in Howard.....my sons graduated from West Elk.......my ROOTS are there.....so are Joes....the place we live now is a LOT like it.....wouldn't trade a minute of the time I spent there.

Varmit

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one.  Contrary to what it might seem, I actually like living in Elk County.  Hunting, fishing, fresh air, don't have to worry about my kids playing outside or going to the park.  I like the fact that if I want to put up a fence, or do a little work on my house I don't have to get 1001 permits, I like that if I forget to lock my car at night or even my front door I really don't have to worry about it.  Elk county may have its problems (hey, no place is perfect) but this is my home, and I ain't leaving.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Roma Jean Turner

I see all the events that are going on in Elk Co and know if I lived there I would go to them all.  I'd be pickin with the Old Time Fiddlers and singin' in all the concerts.  When I am sitting in the crazy traffic here in Springfield, I think about going back to Elk Co where there is only one stop light.  (I'd be a nicer person without all that road rage).  Anyway, you all may be surprised someday at how many of us move back if we can only figure out a way.

mayflower

We would welcome you back with open arms!! Hurry on back!

Clubine Ranch

Our family roots are here.
Our good friends are here.
We have people of all ages to make good and positive things happen.
We have four beautiful seasons to enjoy.
The  beautiful eagles come to visit each year.
The wildlife is awesome.
The livestock, crops and grasslands are wonders to behold.
Elk County is home to some pretty amazing people.
These are just a few of the reasons why we are mighty glad to live here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk