The Cenus is Getting Personal

Started by frawin, February 24, 2010, 09:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Every year now?  well their going to have a hard time with that.  I am only obligated by the Constitution to provide the number of people at this address once every 10 years.  Thats all they get out of me.  The rest i'll send packing.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

So I expect you and Varmit will accuse the census taker of being complicit with the Gov't, therefore "guilty" like the IRS employees? If the census taker is one of your neighbors, ya gonna shoot 'em? ;D...Varmit, as far as the SS# I wondered about that myself. As far as ACS goes, I think it's considered a different thing from the Constitutionally mandated census.It apparently did morph into one idea. I'd have to look up the details. Someday I expect the whole thing will be on line. Ben Franklin would have loved that.

Wilma

I was wondering about that, too, Diane.  The census is every ten years.  The in-between is only a survey to determine where the funds are needed most.  Of course, if we all stopped paying taxes, there wouldn't be any funds to distribute, so the surveys wouldn't be needed.  But, then maybe, Elk County would have to do without federal and state funds to help with road maintenance and srkruzich would have to ride his mule to town and Varmit would be out of a job.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on February 26, 2010, 09:50:03 AM
I was wondering about that, too, Diane.  The census is every ten years.  The in-between is only a survey to determine where the funds are needed most.  Of course, if we all stopped paying taxes, there wouldn't be any funds to distribute, so the surveys wouldn't be needed.  But, then maybe, Elk County would have to do without federal and state funds to help with road maintenance and srkruzich would have to ride his mule to town and Varmit would be out of a job.

Well right now a mule couldn't get through the roads even with federal funds.  And why are the feds supposed to fund roads?  That is supposed to be covered by the FUEL tax, as well as the excise taxes on tires, oil, lugnuts for wheels ect ect ect. 

You know the other thing that isn't being addressed is, federal funding of all these things.  Where is the constitutionality of these things they fund.  IF i remember my constitution right,  All things not specifically designated to the federal government is the rights and responsibility of the states.  And the good lord knows Kansas hasn't seen a tax it doesn't like.!

Diane Amberg

I was just talking to Al about the census business. He doesn't think SS and the other agencies share information....which is weird, something about privacy.HA! He thinks it will all be census by mail again this year with a few personal calls in populated areas. If you have a PO box only and no house drop, you'll probably be skipped.
Steve, Kansas apparently doesn't generate enough tax money on it's own to cover the things the feds help pay for. It seems also, that something, as interpreted somewhere in the Constitution, allows states to turn over some of their "rights and responsibilities" to the Fed. Gov't if they choose to. Again I'd have to look up the details. Same with the census. It may be that somewhere along the line it was decided that adding additional questions to the population census wasn't specifically forbidden by the Constitution, so it was allowed.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on February 26, 2010, 11:08:55 AM
I was just talking to Al about the census business. He doesn't think SS and the other agencies share information....which is weird, something about privacy.HA! He thinks it will all be census by mail again this year with a few personal calls in populated areas. If you have a PO box only and no house drop, you'll probably be skipped.
Steve, Kansas apparently doesn't generate enough tax money on it's own to cover the things the feds help pay for. It seems also, that something, as interpreted somewhere in the Constitution, allows states to turn over some of their "rights and responsibilities" to the Fed. Gov't if they choose to. Again I'd have to look up the details. Same with the census. It may be that somewhere along the line it was decided that adding additional questions to the population census wasn't specifically forbidden by the Constitution, so it was allowed.
Well first of all the money that the feds are supposed to give goes to the interstate system. That is a federal owned.  It was instituted primarily to move military equipment fast.  Technically we do not have the right to drive down the interstate but they allow it as nature tends to reclaim territory if not used.  Makes sense to use it.

The rest of the State roads are supposed to be covered by the gas tax.  I know how the state of Georgia does it not kanas or anyone else but they apply all money collected i think its like 50 cents or so a gallon to roads.  That covers maint, paving, construction of new roads, ect.  IF you have ever driven down georgia roads you will find the best maintained roads money can buy.  And that is done off of only the gas tax.  Not sure why it can't be done here.  6 million people in ga, 3 million in kansas.   I don't know it should be enough to supply roads with as much gas that is used. 

larryJ

I can appreciate those who feel their privacy is being invaded, or, the government doesn't need to know about you.  For every person that feels they don't need to be counted, means less money for their area.  Money is allocated to school districts, local governments, etc.  I copied and pasted some info below.  Remember, if you don't do a census form, others in your area could be denied moneys for their well-being and this includes a lot of rural programs as well.  Read this and think about what you want to do.

Copied from the Internet

Why Is the Census Important?
Participating in the census is in everyone's best interest, because the information on the forms is used by decision-makers to determine which communities, schools, hospitals and roads need federal funding. Filling out your census form is also the best way to make sure people like you are represented in the census.

Here are just a few examples of important uses for census numbers:

•The federal government uses census numbers to allocate over $100 billion in federal funds annually for community programs and services, such as education programs, housing and community development, health-care services for the elderly, job training and many more.
•State, local and tribal governments use census information for planning and allocating funds for new school construction, libraries and other public buildings, highway safety and public transportation systems, new roads and bridges, location of police and fire departments and many other projects.
•Community organizations use census information to develop social service programs, community action projects, senior lunch programs and child-care centers.
•Businesses use the numbers to decide where to locate factories, shopping centers, movie theaters, banks and offices -- activities that often lead to new jobs.
•The U.S. Congress uses the census totals to determine how many seats your state will have in the U.S. House of Representatives. In addition, states use the numbers to allocate seats in their law-making bodies. President Clinton will deliver the apportionment counts to the 107th Congress during the first week of its regular session in January 2000. The reapportioned Congress, which will be the 108th, will convene in January 2003. This reapportionment of the 435 seats in the House of Representatives could have important political implications.

This letter explains why Census 2000 is so important. 

All that we learn about ourselves through the census will help the United States succeed over the next millennium. It's also a great way to tell our leaders who we are and what we need. If you need a closer-to-home reason for completing your census form, the Census Bureau suggests that you consider the following:

•You can help your community thrive. Does your neighborhood have a lot of traffic congestion, elderly people living alone or over-crowded schools? Census numbers can help your community work out public improvement strategies. Non-profit organizations use census numbers to estimate the number of potential volunteers in communities across the nation.
•You can make your government work for you. The hundreds of billions of dollars in federal and state funds allocated each year mean important things to you -- things such as school lunch programs, hospitals and highways! (Using census numbers to support their request for a new community center, senior citizens in one New England community successfully argued their case before county commissioners.)
•You can get help when you need it. Many 911 emergency systems are based on maps developed for the last census. Census information helps health providers predict the spread of diseases through communities with children or elderly people. And when floods, tornadoes or earthquakes hit, the census tells rescuers how many people will need their help.
•You can help American businesses. Census numbers help industry reduce financial risk and locate potential markets. This means that businesses are able to determine the marketability of potential products and come up products you want.
•You can get information you and your family need. Although individual records are held confidential for 72 years (more about that coming up!), you can request a certificate from past censuses that can be used to establish your age, residence or relationship -- information that could help you qualify for a pension, establish citizenship or obtain an inheritance. (In 2082, your great-grandchildren may want to use census information to research family history. Right now, your children may be using census information to do their homework.)

I know this is an older example, but it is still the same.  Just substitute 2010 for 2000. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Wilma

Very good, Larry.  I have used an old census to try to locate an ancestor.  You can also trace where your family was living by looking at the old census and sometimes where someone was born.  Those old hand written census were often the source of the change in spelling a name, too.

Varmit

Ben Franklin would have rolled over in his grave at the state of this country.  The census has ONE purpose, enumeration for representation.  Thats it and thats all.  As far as allocating money, pleeease!  It is not the federal gov't job! If they wouldn't take the money in the first place the people would have more to invest in their community.

Make your community thrive?  Make the gov't work for you?

Name one program that the gov't is in charge of that stays on budget and actually works? 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk