Patriots ready for Sedan in district playoff opener

Started by Janet Harrington, October 11, 2006, 06:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

West Elk High School's football team is entering the class 2A district playoffs this week on an emotional high.
  That's because the Patriots beat Chase County last Friday, 36-8, giving West Elk a 3-3 record.
  And, it's also because the Patriots will host their one-time rivals, the Sedan Blue Devils, in a 7 p.m., battle on the West Elk Gridiron.
  "The guys are really excited about playing Sedan at home," said Chris Haag, West Elk head coach.  "They know it's going to be a tough game, but I feel they're ready to strap their helmets on and try to get a win in the district playoffs."
  The class 2A, district 6 playoff's include four teams: West Elk, Sedan, Oxford and Oswego.  Only two teams from the district playoffs will advance to the state playoffs.
  With its undefeated record under its belt, Oxford may be the top team among the district playoff foursome.  Oswego is 1-5 overall and has struggled against their conference opponents throughout the season.
  That leaves Sedan and West Elk to battle for a state playoff slot, thereby making this week's game a pivotal contest.
  Haag was blunt with what needs to happen:  If West Elk wants to return to the state playoffs, they need to defeat Sedan this Friday night.  Period.
  "Oxford has the undefeated record and the size to their advantage," he said.  "If we want to make it to the state playoffs, we've got to beat Sedan so that we can make a strong charge toward Oxford."
  In last week's game at Chase County, West Elk rebounded from an 8-0 deficit in the second quarter to score 22 points before halftime and add 14 unanswered points in the second half.
  Blair Lowe scored twice for the Patriots, courtesy of a 31-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter and a 54-yard run in the final stanza.  Colby Linder hit paydirt in the third quarter while C. J. Madison scored on a two-yard dive in the second quarter.
  Brett Koop was credited with West Elk's first touchdown, which came on a 32-yard pass in the second quarter.
  West Elk won the offensive yardage war (West Elk's 398 total yards to Chase County's 188 total yards) with Madison hitting 14 of 23 targets for 213 passing yards.  The bulk of West Elk's 398 offensive yards came in the second, third and fourth quarters.
  "We came out really flat but rebounded in the second quarter," said Haag.  "Our offense stepped it up, but I'm really proud of the way our defense played by shutting down Chase County in the second, third and fourth quarters."
  Haag said senior Ace Lee did leave Friday's game with a knee injury.  haag said at presstime that he did not yet know if the WEst El senior would find time in Friday's game against Sedan.

(I took this from the Flint Hills Express oct. 11, 2006 edition, page 10.  It does not give an author credit, so I do not know who wrote it.)

Wilma

Thanks, Janet, for not making me wait until my paper comes in the mail tomorrow.  I have really enjoyed reading about our school's sports and wish there was more available for us old people who can't take an active part any more.  Now, back to the games on television.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk