ZELENY, Edith Louise (Stephens) - b. February 14, 1925 - d. January 1, 2010

Started by patyrn, February 02, 2010, 01:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Edith Louise (Stephens) Zeleny of Annapolis, Missouri, died January 1, 2010 at the age of 84.  She was born February 14, 1925 in Howard, Kansas to Hershel Ligett and Leona Dale (Collins) Stephens.

Funeral services were held on January 4, 2010 at the Bryson Funeral Home in Pilot Knob, Missouri with burial at the Annapolis, Missouri Cemetery.  Rev. Jerry Cuneio officated.  Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society.

Survivors include her husband, Frank Zeleny of the home, and five children, Stephanie (Edwin) Bridges of DeSoto, Missouri, Stephen (Phyllis) Zeleny of Arcadia, Missouri, Tracey (Janet) Zeleny of Redford, Missouri, Roberta (Aaron) Middleton of Vulcan, Missouri, and Chris (Heather) Zeleny of Farmington, Missouri.

(Edith Stephens Zeleny  graduated from Howard High School with the Class of 1943.  She was married to Frank Zeleny, and predeceased by her parents and two brothers, Gene and Bob Stephens and an infant brother, Ellis.)

frawin

Thanks Karen. I grew up across the street from Edith and her parents, she was a really super nice person. Her husband, Frank was my boy scout leader along with her brother Gene. This was a really neat family. Edith's husband and his brother were the M-M Minnealpois-Moline implement dealers in Howard. Their business was on main street, I think the senior center is in the building now.
Frank

larryJ

Thanks again, Karen.  I knew that once enough information was gathered by you that Frank would be able to comment. 

Leona (Ona) Dale Collins was the daughter of Francis and Sarah Lynam Collins.  Of all the children that they had, only three sisters survived to marry and begin their own families.  Leona was the sister to Edith and Sue Mattie Collins.  Edith Collins married Albert Andrews and lived in Howard.  Sue Mattie Collins married a Henderson and lived in Severy.  Edith Collins Andrews was my grandmother.  So, my mother and Edith Stephens Zeleny were first cousins along with Gene.  Gene's daughter, Cassandra, (Sandy) and I are second cousins. 

I appreciate all that you do for this thread and I know all of the forum members are also appreciative.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Jo McDonald

I was browsing back through this link and saw this about Edith.  I was shocked.  We were gone the month of February, so I missed this item.
Edith and I were good friends, back in the late 1940's.  I worked for Tony and Frank Zeleny when they had the M-M dealership, and it was in the building south of the Senior Center.  The senior center was the office of the Howard Production Credit.  Edith Barkley worked there, and I can't remember the man that was in charge.  His last name began with a B...that is all I can remember ( at this time, anyway).
  Edith and Frank had their daughter Stephanie, she was 3 when our Teresa was born.  The four of us had a lot of fun together.
When we moved back to Howard last March, and Bill Redmond passed away, I got on the computer and found Frank and Edith's address and telephone number and called them.  I talked to each of them for quite a while, it was the first time that I had had any contact with them since the early 1950's, when they moved to Missouri and we moved to Yates Center.   They had 5 children and Frank was still working. It was so good to visit with them and they were surprised to hear from me.  Bill and Bob Redmond and their sister Edith were first cousins, of course....Frank and Bill were very close friends.
  Time marches on - and so many of our friends are now deceased.

Thank you, Karen, for keeping this thread open for the rest of us.
   Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

larryJ

Jo, you had me scratching my head there for a few minutes.  You said that the Redmonds were first cousins and I was thinking that was not right, because their mother, Bernadine, would have been a first cousin to Edith.  But, in actuality, you are right.  They (and I) are first cousins, once removed, meaning one generation apart.  I remember seeing her at family reunions, but that was many years ago. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk