Amercians give up Liberty for Safety

Started by Varmit, January 17, 2010, 11:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead

So Frank, are you telling us you were a stripper in a Mid east country ??? Does Myrna know about this ?? :)

srkruzich

Quote from: jarhead on January 18, 2010, 10:19:23 PM
So Frank, are you telling us you were a stripper in a Mid east country ??? Does Myrna know about this ?? :)
ROTFLMBO
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

frawin

Quote from: jarhead on January 18, 2010, 10:19:23 PM
Jarhead, I was a stripper twice in India. I had been in South India as long as I wanted to be and when they said I would not be boarding the plane if I didn't submit to a luggage search and strip search, I didn't argue.

Warph

Sky Harbor here in Phoenix has had a scanner at terminal #4 since 2007.  It is used for secondary screenings of passengers who set off metal detectors.   New ones are being installed as we speak.  There have been terrorist threats against the Hoover Dam on the Arizona-Nevada border and the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station west of Phoenix.  There have also been concerns that Islamic and other terrorists might try to enter the U.S. from Mexico.  I fly out of SH 6 or 7 times a year and it wouldn't bother me a bit going through a scanner and would feel a hell of alot safer knowing everyone on my plane has done the same. 

Some info on the scanners:
Nicknamed "nude" scanners, they work by bouncing tiny microwaves off passengers and producing a very detailed outline of what lies beneath their clothes.

They are controversial because the image is so detailed it shows male genitals and female breasts and critics argue they are an invasion of privacy akin to a "virtual strip search".

In order to allay these fears, the technology is being tweaked to blur the head of each scanned individual or obscure the individual's genitals.

The scanning procedure can also be arranged so that the machine operators do not see the images of the people they scan.

In that case, the images produced can be analyzed by staff members in an isolated room elsewhere in the airport, who then notify workers at the terminals if a problem appears.

Whatever your position on full-body scanners, if you're going to do some heavy traveling during 2010, there's always the chance that you might be faced with having to virtually strip down for one. We'll get into how it works and your rights with full-body scanners later this week, but for now let's focus on where exactly these big bad boys hang out...

What airports have full-body scanners in use?:

According to the Washington Post, there are only forty units at 19 airports currently. Although London and Nigerian airports have theirs on order, they aren't delivered yet, so you'll not have to worry about them yet.

You will find full-body scanners at the following airports:
· Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ)
· Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport (ATL)
· Baltimore-Washington International (BWI)
· Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport (DFW)
· Denver International Airport (DEN)
· Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport (DTW)
· Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
· Jacksonville International Airport (JAX)
· Las Vegas-McCarran Airport (LAS)
· Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
· Miami International Airport (MIA)
· Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHX)
· Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
· Richmond International Airport (RIC)
· Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
· San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
· Tampa International Airport (TPA)
· Tulsa International Airport (TUL)
· Washington DC's Reagan National (DCA)
· Amsterdam-Schipol Airport (AMS)

Checkout http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/03/AR2010010301826.html
to see how they work.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Sarah

I'm so glad I don't fly.  What a mess.  And even with all their technology.........people still manage to get past them.  Where there's a will there's a way.......or they find something else to blow up. 

srkruzich

Quote from: Sarah on January 19, 2010, 06:13:07 AM
I'm so glad I don't fly.  What a mess.  And even with all their technology.........people still manage to get past them.  Where there's a will there's a way.......or they find something else to blow up. 

The problem is that all their equipment searches for metal. Now days they use plastic explosives, liquids.  The future will probably bring carbon fiber or ceramic weapons on board. No way to scan for those items.

Sarah

Quote from: srkruzich on January 19, 2010, 08:27:17 AM
The problem is that all their equipment searches for metal. Now days they use plastic explosives, liquids.  The future will probably bring carbon fiber or ceramic weapons on board. No way to scan for those items.

I would assume that's what these full body scans are for if they're that detailed.  I would suppose it would pick up anything unusual. 

Anmar

I went through the SFO airport recently, it looked like they had a special scanner off to the side.  Things were pretty busy, 4 of the normal scanners operating at full capacity and nobody got pulled out to the special scanner that i can see.

I think the whole thing is stupid.  Is it not obvious that the people doing these things have greant ingenuity?  Ask any IRaq war veteran.  Anytime we come up with a way to protect ourselves, the other side changes tactics.  We do not have the initiative, we are merely reacting to our opponent.

I don't believe in giving up freedom for safety,  I'd rather find a way for us to be at peace and to maintain our way of life.

On a side note, i wonder how long it will be before people start going through those scanners with a bananna in their shorts?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

jarhead

I hear that alot of SF area women already got a" banana" in their bloomers---but that's just hearsay.

srkruzich

Quote from: jarhead on January 20, 2010, 03:08:52 PM
I hear that alot of SF area women already got a" banana" in their bloomers---but that's just hearsay.
ROTFLMBO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk