House Fire In Longton

Started by sixdogsmom, January 15, 2010, 12:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

I went to Independence yesterday, and noticed that the little house across the highway from Kirks' Mini-Mart has burned to the ground. Judy, when did that happen? I know that our engines went out very late one night last week, but it didn't seem like they were gone very long. Anybody?
Edie

Judy Harder

Not sure of my dates. It was during the coldest part of the night. I heard the siren go off around 1 or 2 am and for a time
I thought I was dreaming. Except it never quit. Went on for over 10 minutes and I never heard the engines or the trucks on road.
My head is in the window and I can usually hear Bruce go out. He is firechief. I listened for a few and next morning someone said it
had burned down.

They were taking it apart. Piece by piece. But it seems someone thought they would be cute and help. Don't know who was up and out at that time of night. I know the chill index had to be below zero. Don't know the type of brain that would be out.

I know they were going to burn it. But, can't believe the fire department would call a drill. They did show up and let it burn.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Janet Harrington

So, apparently nobody lived in the house?  At least, I hope not.  Or someone seeking shelter went in there to try and stay warm and lit the place up.  Just a thought.

Judy Harder

I wouldn't think so Janet. It was being dismantled. The windows were already out and I think the plans were to burn it.
After all the hazardous stuff was taken out and then bury it.

It had stood empty for almost 5 or 6 months. I think our arson bug got an itch. I wonder who was up and out that late to call it in?
Here I am Lord, use me!

Jo McDonald

A passing motorist could have called 911.  I makes one wonder what kind of a deranged mind can justify an arson.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

sixdogsmom

I had just gone to bed when the fire bell went off. It was awhile before anyone got to it; so late and so cold. I suspect that they were back in town shortly because the structure was already gone, and there wasn't any danger to the surrounding buildings. Glad that nobody lost their home, that is always a worry especially in the bitter cold we had. Thanks for filling us in Judy!  ;D
Edie

Varmit

Quote from: Jo McDonald on January 16, 2010, 12:31:12 PM
A passing motorist could have called 911.  I makes one wonder what kind of a deranged mind can justify an arson.

Just a thought...taxes.  For example, Someone owns a house they don't live in.  They have to pay taxes on the house.  Taxes go up.  Owner gets mad doesn't want to pay taxes burns house down.  Justifiable arson.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

Is it arson if you burn something you own?  Just wondering.

Janet Harrington

It's arson if the owner burns it with the intent to collect insurance.

Judy Harder

ditto, Janet. Just what I was going to say. Just watch "Law and Order" and we
all will get a law degree. NOT!
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk