Main Menu

Busby

Started by W. Gray, January 10, 2010, 10:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead

Frank, I googled Pomac after I posted that. Surprised to read so much about it. There is a Dr. Pepper plant in Dublin Tx that one thing said they might still bottle/have Pomac. We are going to Sweetwater, Tx in a couple weeks and maybe my ol Sgt Maj buddy will take me there but I dobt it---150 mile drive. He has given me Dr Pepper from there and it is great. Made from the original recipie and only place left that makes it that way. I think I remember KIST pop and do have a Kist bottle. It real heavy with a kind of a "twist" to the bottle. I bet you remember Big Chief too.And Bubble Up. You being so much older than me :) you might remember "Too Tall "soda A neat bottle. Embossed with a guy that looks like Abe Lincoln with stove pipe hat.

frawin

Jarhead, I have been to Dublin, I bought my last Bird dog from a Breeder just outside of Dublin. My wife and I toured the Dr. Pepper Facility and bought some of the Dr Pepper that is bottled there. We lived in Midland Texas at the time so it wasn't as much of a trip for us then.
I remember Big Chief, one of my jobs in the 1st grade was to sort the pop bottles into their respective cases in the back of my brothers grocery store in Howard.

frawin

Jarhead, as a side note, the sugar they used in the original Dr. Pepper was from the sugar plant at Sugarland, Texas.  That processing plant is no longer in use, but I found it interesting that most of the product was from Texas. 
If you wait until March to go, you could catch the annual rattlesnake roundup at Sweetwater.  It's a BIG one!
Another thing you will enjoy seeing are all of the wind turbines out there!  They are pretty at night too as the red lights show up so the planes will know to stay away from them.  They are on the hills from Big Spring to east of Sweetwater. I really enjoy watching them--they are so majestic!  We've been up close to them, and they hardly make a sound, just a little "swish".  Enjoy your trip!
Myrna

Jo McDonald

All of this talk about Busby, Kansas --------Jim (Sarge) and I will have to get the real "scoop" from Fred and Russ.  Also -- Roscoe Jontra, born and raised at Busby and still lives just a hop, skip and a jump north of where the store used to be, still lives there.
 When Fred and I got married in 1947, Warren Sprague was still owner, and manager of the store.  And Yes my Snickers candy bar was "buggy", I didn't know it at the time, Fred bought each of us one -- I was hungry so I chowed down on mine, after he had filled a butane tank, he opened his and said.."Did your candy bar have bugs in it?"  - His did, but mine was already devoured, so I had no proof.  Didn't hurt this farm girl any --- tasted like candy to me. The school house is still there.  Fred (and Russ goes with him) goes there and fills containers from the free flowing well for our drinking water.  Busby was home to the McDonald family for three generations.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

jarhead

Myrna,
Been to the Sweetwater rattlesnake round-up two times. My wife dearly hates snakes but she don't mind going there because she knows they are gonna kill every one of those puppies. In Feb. they have a TET reunion blow-out in Abilene that we try to make because it's pretty much run by my senior drill instructor from boot camp,plus we visit a Nam buddy, Tex, that lives in Sweetwater. We kill two birds with one stone that way. Probably no interest to anyone but me---but I'm gonna bore you anyway--my buddy, Tex, was the one who found Jimmie Stewarts step sons body after he was KIA in the DMZ. You can google 'Ron Mclean American Beauty' and it tells about it. a bad time.
It seems like the wind turbines run half way from Sweetwater to Abilene, then if you go north towards Lubbock there are a bunch more.

Ms Bear

There is a Windmill Museum at Lubbock that is very interesting.  It has one of the wind turbines laying on the ground in sections so you can see how large it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk