Love Worth Finding

Started by Judy Harder, January 04, 2010, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

JUNE 7

The Treasure We Have in Jesus Christ

"In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:3

Many years ago, the Spanish Armada was sailing off the coast of Florida. A hurricane struck, and the ships laden with gold and silver ingots sunk to the bottom. People knew the treasure had been lost and believed one ship went down near Vero Beach in Fort Pierce, Florida. Fishermen fished over that spot, sometimes doubtless hanging a hook on a lump of gold.

One day some explorers went diving, and there it was in the shallow water. In fact the water was so shallow that any of us could have swum to the bottom and brought up millions of dollars. In the same way, I believe there are many of us yet to discover the full treasure we have in Jesus Christ.

Have you plunged your heart deep into the treasure of the Lord? Or are you living life in the shallow end, wondering if the treasure will ever come to you?

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

JUNE 8

What's at the Heart

"Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part Thou shalt make me to know wisdom." Psalm 51:6

Have you ever gone to a sawmill and watched them process timber? They take a big log out of the woods that may have bumps and knots on it, and they lay it on a cradle, running it through a saw, cutting off one side. Then they bring it back, turn it, and run it through again to cut off another side. When they're finished, if you stand and look down it, it's perfectly straight. But if you look at the end of it, the heart is still crooked. That's the way it is with some individuals who are outwardly living the Christian life. But Jeremiah 17:9 warns the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. We need regeneration. We must be born again.

Read Psalm 19:14—

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."

Pray it from your heart—that today you would desire with everything within you to be pure in thought, word, and deed.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

JUNE 9

Believing In the Living God

"If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which He hath testified of His Son." 1 John 5:9

I've been asked, "Pastor Rogers, do you expect me to believe in Jesus Christ just because your book says that He lived? That's not enough for me."

I agree. You need something else. If you want to know who Jesus Christ is, ask the Holy Spirit.

God says, "If you want to believe, I will help you to understand and to know that these things are true."

Don't tell me that you cannot believe. You may refuse to believe, but I will tell you this. If you want to believe in Jesus Christ and if you seek Truth, God the Holy Spirit will speak to you and confirm to you that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Read Deuteronomy 4:29—

"But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find Him, if thou seek Him with all thy heart and with all thy soul."

Do you want to know the living God? He is there if you seek Him with all your heart.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

JUNE 10

Discovering His Will for Your Life

"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before." Philippians 3:13

Nehemiah was a man who knew how to get alone with God. He fasted, prayed, and wept; then God told him what to do.

Have you done that? Have you sacrificed and surrendered to the Lord to discover His will for your life? Or are you just putting yourself into neutral and letting life happen to you? Do you have a focus?

God has something that He wants you to do. You are special to God. Nehemiah said, "God had laid something on my heart."  If you'll listen, God will lay something on your heart.

Get alone with God this week. Discover what He wants from your life to do His will.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 11

Working Together In Unity

"For we are laborers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building." 1 Corinthians 3:9

How powerful it is when we work together in unity! I was reading about how Canadian geese always fly in a "V" formation. Have you ever wondered why? Because the lead goose is moving the wind resistance for the rest of them. So while he is flapping real hard, the rest of them are cruising. After awhile, the lead goose gets tired and he falls back and the next goose moves up.

Do you know what scientists have discovered in the wind tunnel experiments? That geese flying in a "V" formation can fly 72% farther than one goose could fly by himself. Now who taught them to do that? God did.

What are you trying to do by yourself that could be more efficiently accomplished when the task is shared?

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 12

Train Up A Child

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

A little boy was riding around and around the block. A man asked him, "What are you doing?"
"I'm running away from home," he said.
"But you're just going around and around the block," said the man.
The little boy responded, "That's because my mom won't let me cross the street!"

Even in the earliest ages, there can be restraint in the heart of a child because of godly training by his or her parents. The only way I ever learned to play football was on the training field. The classroom wasn't enough. Parents must provide training and education for the lessons of life to be ingrained in their children.

Has God given you the divine responsibility of parenthood? Then, spend some time this week to train your child in one area of godly living.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 13

Should We Bring Children Into Such a Chaotic World?

"As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." Psalm 127:4-5

I would be afraid to bring children into this world if I did not know God. But because I know God, I am free to encourage you to have children.

Don't ever let the devil intimidate you. I've had couples ask me, "Pastor Rogers, the world is so dangerous today, do you think that we ought to have children?"

I respond with a hearty "Yes!"

God's people are the ones who ought to be bringing a godly seed into this world. What does the world need? Jesus. How are they going to hear if the light goes out?

Are you contemplating having children? Do you know someone who is? Encourage them with this devotional today.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 14

God's Plan of Restoration for Your Life

"He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light." Job 33:28

On the night of Jesus' arrest, Peter denied Jesus — three times! In spite of Peter's lack of loyalty, Jesus extended an invitation of mercy to him and said, "Come and dine."

There on the shores of the Sea of Galilee after His resurrection, Jesus came to Peter and prepared a table of restoration. Can you imagine what was going through Peter's mind? Guilt and gladness, fear and fascination, wonder and worship — a kaleidoscope of emotions! He could not believe that he was being invited to the table of the One he had deserted just days before. And not only was he being invited but restored!

The depth of Jesus' covenant love is not exhausted when we sin. There is forgiveness and restoration.

Read this account of restoration in John 21:4-19. Rejoice over God's plan of restoration for your life.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 15

Overcoming Fear and Worry

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

When we ought to be enjoying victorious, abundant lives...what happens? Fear creeps in and grips us cold. Many of us lose priceless opportunities because of this boa constrictor of fear.

When fear dominates, there is no room for Christ, Who can comfort us.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."(John 16:33).

Worry is the noxious first cousin to fear. Fear and worry will do to you what grit does to machinery — shut you down. But God gives us the victory with His power, His love, and the gift of a sound mind. The Holy Spirit is your Bodyguard. He walks with you. The man who can kneel before God can stand before any man.

Jesus has you in His sight. You are in God's right hand. Write that down and post it in a place where you can meditate on it throughout the day. Now, ask yourself, "Knowing this, can anything this week change those truths?"

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 16

Faithful in Your Words

"But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation." – James 5:12

In June we take time to focus on fathers, and I've discovered in talking with teenagers that many of them harbor bitterness and resentment. Much of that resentment is directed toward their fathers over the serious matter of broken promises.

If you're a dad who wants to restore your relationship with your teenager, one of the best things you can do is to remember those broken promises. Then go and say to them with a remorseful spirit, "I've asked God to forgive me, and I want you to forgive me." Then ask this question, "Have I ever made a promise to you that I've failed to keep? If so, I want you to tell me because I want to repent. I want you to believe that your dad is a faithful man."

Are you a man of your word? If not, start fresh today and make a commitment that you will stand behind your word.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk