Love Worth Finding

Started by Judy Harder, January 04, 2010, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

June 12

Overcoming Fear and Worry

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." - 2 Timothy 1:7

When we ought to be enjoying victorious, abundant lives...what happens? Fear creeps in and grips us cold. Many of us lose priceless opportunities because of this boa constrictor of fear.

When fear dominates, there is no room for Christ, Who can comfort us.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."(John 16:33).

Worry is the noxious first cousin to fear. Fear and worry will do to you what grit does to machinery — shut you down. But God gives us the victory with His power, His love, and the gift of a sound mind. The Holy Spirit is your Bodyguard. He walks with you. The man who can kneel before God can stand before any man.

Jesus has you in His sight. You are in God's right hand. Write that down and post it in a place where you can meditate on it throughout the day. Now, ask yourself, "Knowing this, can anything this week change those truths?"

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 13

Train Up A Child

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." - Proverbs 22:6

A little boy was riding around and around the block. A man asked him, "What are you doing?"
"I'm running away from home," he said.
"But you're just going around and around the block," said the man.
The little boy responded, "That's because my mom won't let me cross the street!"

Even in the earliest ages, there can be restraint in the heart of a child because of godly training by his or her parents. The only way I ever learned to play football was on the training field. The classroom wasn't enough. Parents must provide training and education for the lessons of life to be ingrained in their children.

Has God given you the divine responsibility of parenthood? Then, spend some time this week to train your child in one area of godly living.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 14

Should We Bring Children Into Such a Chaotic World?

"As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." - Psalm 127:4-5

I would be afraid to bring children into this world if I did not know God. But because I know God, I am free to encourage you to have children.

Don't ever let the devil intimidate you. I've had couples ask me, "Pastor Rogers, the world is so dangerous today, do you think that we ought to have children?"

I respond with a hearty "Yes!"

God's people are the ones who ought to be bringing a godly seed into this world. What does the world need? Jesus. How are they going to hear if the light goes out?

Are you contemplating having children? Do you know someone who is? Encourage them with this devotional today.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 15

Faithful in Your Words

"But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation." – James 5:12

In June we take time to focus on fathers, and I've discovered in talking with teenagers that many of them harbor bitterness and resentment. Much of that resentment is directed toward their fathers over the serious matter of broken promises.

If you're a dad who wants to restore your relationship with your teenager, one of the best things you can do is to remember those broken promises. Then go and say to them with a remorseful spirit, "I've asked God to forgive me, and I want you to forgive me." Then ask this question, "Have I ever made a promise to you that I've failed to keep? If so, I want you to tell me because I want to repent. I want you to believe that your dad is a faithful man."

Are you a man of your word? If not, start fresh today and make a commitment that you will stand behind your word.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 16

A Challenge for Fathers

"Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders." - Proverbs 31:23

Once a year we celebrate fathers. Maybe you are one. Let me give you a challenge. One father said,

"If I had it to do all over again, I'd love my wife more in front of my children. I'd laugh with my children more. I'd listen more, even to the youngest child. I'd be more honest about my own weaknesses and stop pretending perfection. I would pray differently for my children. I would be more encouraging and bestow more praise. And finally, if I had it to do all over again, I would use every ordinary thing that happened in every ordinary day to point them to God."

Praise God for the impact of godly fathers in our lives!

If there's going to be music in marriage, the dad has to be the leader of the band. Celebrate the dad in your life today!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 17

Our Abba Father

"And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father." - Galatians 4:6

Do you know what "Abba" means?  It means "Daddy Father." Have you ever thought about God as your Daddy? When Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father" in Matthew 6:9, the same word in Greek is the word "Pater" – "Abba Father."

American children say, "Da-da." But in the Middle East they say, "Abba - Abba." Jesus says that we can call the great God of the universe "Daddy."

I'm so glad that our Heavenly Father never gets too busy running this universe and commanding the angels that He forgets us. He wants to be with you like there is no one else on earth and nothing else for Him to do.

Do you wish you had a hug right now? You can crawl up into the lap of your Daddy Father and He has nothing better to do than to give you a hug.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 18

Without Even Saying A Word

"I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go." - Psalm 32:8

I was talking to my son one day, and he reminded me of something that happened when he was a little boy. He said, "Dad, I was sitting in church, and you looked at me, and I knew I was going to get a whipping when I got home."

If you're married, you know how your spouse can give you that look that says, "Whatever you're talking about — stop!" That's the intimate relationship that people who know one another well establish. You're to have such an intimate relationship with God that He can just look at you and your heart is touched.

Throughout the day today, think of the eye of the Lord upon you...allow this to direct your steps and give you courage.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 19

God's Plan of Restoration for Your Life

"He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light." - Job 33:28

On the night of Jesus' arrest, Peter denied Jesus — three times! In spite of Peter's lack of loyalty, Jesus extended an invitation of mercy to him and said, "Come and dine."

There on the shores of the Sea of Galilee after His resurrection, Jesus came to Peter and prepared a table of restoration. Can you imagine what was going through Peter's mind? Guilt and gladness, fear and fascination, wonder and worship — a kaleidoscope of emotions! He could not believe that he was being invited to the table of the One he had deserted just days before. And not only was he being invited but restored!

The depth of Jesus' covenant love is not exhausted when we sin. There is forgiveness and restoration.

Read this account of restoration in John 21:4-19. Rejoice over God's plan of restoration for your life.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 20

Never Another Like the Lord Jesus Christ

"And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of Thine hands." - Hebrews 1:10

Nobody knows the exact date of Jesus' birth, and yet His birth has divided all of history to A.D. and B.C.  He never, so far as we know, wrote a book, and yet more books have been written about Him than any other person. He never painted a picture or composed any poetry or music that we know of, and yet He has been the inspiration of the greatest music, art, and poetry that the world has ever known. He never had any formal education, yet more schools, colleges, universities, and seminaries have been founded in His name than any other person who ever lived.

That's who the Lord Jesus is, and never has there been another like the Lord Jesus Christ!

Read Hebrews 1:1-14. Marvel at His majesty! Praise His omnipotence!

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

June 21

God's Holiness, Love and Mercy

"For He hath made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." - 2 Corinthians 5:21

God will never overlook sin. He cannot. God is holy, and by His holiness He has sworn that sin will be punished. If God were to let one half of one sin go unpunished, God would no longer be holy.

The chief attribute of God is not love — it is holiness.

The cross is God's way to punish sin and forgive the sinner at the same time. "He who knew no sin," God has made to be sin for us. The price that Jesus paid,  only the damned in hell can begin to know, but even they'll never know because they're only paying their sin debt. Jesus paid for all the sin of all of the people for all time.

Read Revelation 4:8. Let your anthem throughout the day be, "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk