What the Hell is Wrong with Sonoma County, California?

Started by Warph, December 23, 2009, 11:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

Quote from: Jo McDonald on December 24, 2009, 12:16:01 PM
I think some one should have this man committed.  He is nuttier than a peach orchard boar.
How dare the officials take the request of ONE --one?? PERSON to do these removals , against the
wishes of all the rest?  Something is very wrong with this picture.  I'm surprised we aren't reading
where the county residents are rising up against this action.  They should be.....

Jo, you have to remember where this is taking place.  Christ told us things like this would happen, well, He didn't mention specifics but He did say that Christians would be hated.  The trick is to not hate back.  Which (and I am guilty of it) is hard to do.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Anmar

I don't think i would equate hatred for christmas with hatred for christianity.  As mentioned previously, christmas has very little to do with christianity or Jesus.

That being said, to answer the question of Sonoma, one word comes to mind, Wine.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

Whatever.  Lets just forget the fact that the majority of people the world over celebrate christmas to honor the birth of Christ. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Ah yes, another one looking for publicity. Just remember what Madeline Murray O' Hare managed to do. Rise above it. It's what's in our hearts that matters.

Anmar

Quote from: Varmit on December 24, 2009, 03:29:25 PM
Whatever.  Lets just forget the fact that the majority of people the world over celebrate christmas to honor the birth of Christ. 

So the majority knows whats best?  hmmm does that mean you also believe that Obama was the best choice for pres?

larryJ

Thank you, Warph, I can always depend on you to keep me informed correctly.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Varmit

Quote from: Anmar on December 24, 2009, 04:41:25 PM
So the majority knows whats best?  hmmm does that mean you also believe that Obama was the best choice for pres?

No. Anmar it doesn't.  Don't be so dense.  Aren't you always arguing that we should do "what is in the best interest of America"?  Do really think that it is in our best interest to deny the majority the right to be able to celebrate what is recognized as one of their most sacred holidays?  Espcially when you consider that only a small handful find it offensive?  Is that how a "democracy" is supposed to work?..that the minority is able to dictate to the majority?

srkruzich

Quote from: Varmit on December 25, 2009, 08:17:23 AM
  Is that how a "democracy" is supposed to work?..that the minority is able to dictate to the majority?
No!  Democracy is Mob Rule.    The way the liberals want it is, in all things except government they want it setup as minority dictates everything.  Then when it comes to government the mob dictates how government is to be. 

They say screw the constitution which prevents the mob rule from forcing government on the minority.   Christmas is neither government nor subject to minority rule.   
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Warph

From the NYTimes:  http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/12/24/us/AP-US-Government-Christmas.html

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) -- The top official in California's Sonoma County has rescinded a ban on stars and angels on Christmas trees in county buildings.

Following a barrage of criticism, (acting) Administrator Chris Thomas on Wednesday reversed his order banning the ornaments two days earlier. He apologized in an e-mail to employees for ''any inconvenience and disruption.'' (I have all ideas that acting ADM Thomas has just pissed his new position down the toilet)

''You are encouraged to use your best judgment with respect to appropriate decorations for our public spaces,'' Thomas wrote.

Thomas' ban order was prompted by a complaint from Santa Rosa resident Irv Sutley, who says the county should not show favoritism to any religion. Sheryl Bratton, an attorney for the county, had said the county risked a lawsuit even if the ornaments were legal.

Local church leaders spoke out against the ban, and at least one county employee openly defied the order.  Public defender Barry Collins, who is Jewish, erected a Christmas tree adorned with a star in the lobby window of his office. He called the ban ridiculous and said his office's mission was to represent those whose Constitutional rights are infringed. (Way to go, people)

Thomas' decision came after county supervisor Shirlee Zane sent him an e-mail arguing the ban was a decision that should involve the full board of supervisors.

''The fact we have a star on the Christmas tree in front of the White House tells me this not a hard and fast issue,'' Zane said.

The Supreme Court has ruled that governments can display Christmas trees but cannot support Christian doctrine.

Sutley said he would consult with attorneys before deciding whether to sue. He called the reversal a ''real slap in the face to agnostics, atheists and every person who believes in the separation of church and state.'' (He wont sue... if he does he'd better move)
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Anmar

Billy, you totally missed the point.  I think people should celebrate what they want.  I know that Christmas has nothing to do with christianity, but i appreciate the time off to spend with family.  Its not really offensive to me that anyone celebrates their holidays, and frankly i could care less.

The point is, just because 300 million people think Jesus was born on december 25th doesn't make it true, and its not.  People need to go and read their bibles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk