Favorite Part of Christmas

Started by Wilma, December 09, 2009, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

I'll add this story...
my Aunt Barbara McDonald started this tradition. Let me quickly ( if I'm talking you KNOW that's a bold face lie on the quickly part) but I'll try to make it as short as I can.  :-\

Every year all during my grow up years.. we would have a weekend of Workman Christmas ( my mamas side) and a weekend of McDonald Christmas.. ( my dads side)
  Friday night we would arrive at the house of whoever was having it that year and immediately the men would all go out in the garage or wherever..and the women would gather up cards and chairs and we would start the marathon of Canasta playing. We literally stop only to prepare the meals.. then back to the card playing.Then Sunday we would have the gift exchange..
Well we always drew names and bought that person a gift..It was in Grove Oklahoma that year at Uncle Russell and Aunt Barbara's house ( Jim McDonald (Sarge's) parents)
Aunt Barb crocheted so everyone loved for her to get your name cause you always got something really handmade and neat..

Aunt Barb had my moms name and mother knew it and had been acting silly showing off that she was going to get something nice..na na na na nahh naaaaa ~~~~~....Aunt Barbara kept saying she did a little something different that year..( and the silliness continued all weekend..)
This one particular year we finished up the Canasta game at about 4 in the morning . Aunt Barbara took her flashlight ..went out into the pasture and gathered up some cow poop.. She had a nice box all lined with wax paper and she ever so gently laid this fresh cow poop in the box..covering it with the other sheet of wax paper, then wrapped and  decorated it so nice...
Well~~ it was in a warm house under the tree all day Saturday.. Saturday night.
Sunday morning after breakfast etc..it was time to open presents..  We all knew about it..so when Mothers gift was passed to her we all kind of tried to make sure we nonchalant watched her as she was opening it.
(**Mama LOVES candy and chocolate**)  That said~~~~~~ She opened up this pkg and with the wax paper smashed on the top.. and it was kinda soft and firmish gooey....it looked exactly like dates ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. **We all get VERY loud and excited when we get presents oohing and awwing  and when she saw these ..she hollered .."Oh my gosh ! I got  DATES!! All to myself!!  I LOVE Dates!!
With that she pulls back the wax paper proceeding to pull one out with her fingers and right at that same split second,  her eyes  get huge and in the same breath she yells "Its Shit! its Cow Shit!!"

I thought we all were going to die laughing... *She did get a beautiful hand made crocheted item by the way)*
But the was the beginning of who could give the worst gift..  :D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Jo McDonald

My sister-in-law Barbara was the "Queen of the ugly gift" giving for all the rest of time.

It was AWFUL but it really was funny.  Oh how I loved that woman, and my other McDonald sister-in-law, Rosalie, as well.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Rudy Taylor

See?  That's what I'm telling ya.

Your family knows how to have fun.

We're so boring at our house.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Teresa

Well then~~~~~~~~~~~~ change it!
Make it fun!! :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

larryJ

YEA  YEA YEA

My Christmas present is early.  I should say our Christmas present is early.

As I sat here this afternoon watching a Disney Christmas with my granddaughter, when who should appear, walking into my family room unannounced------------

MY SON AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW

BACK FROM THEIR WORLD TRAVELS

We have not seen them since last April.

JOY       JOY      JOY

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

indygal

Oh, Larry! That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you and your family, and I hope you all have a great time together.

Diane Amberg

greatguns

What a wonderful Christmas present. :)

larryJ

It was just so neat!!!  My GD and I were watching a movie and in they walked.  My wife was at a physical therapy appointment.  So they were trying to figure out how to surprise her when she returned.  They were going to wait on the patio and surprise when she came out to the family room.  Then they were going to hide in one of the bedrooms.  However, the GD wanted to go outside and play in the front yard so then the plan was to hide in the garage. 

Now------------I have been married to this woman for 36 years.  If I have learned anything at all, it is that I never ever surprise her with anything.  Being in a quandary on how to let her know without actually telling her was a problem.  I finally called her cell and asked when she would be home.  She immediately assumed the worst and wanted to know what was wrong.  So I had to tell her nothing was wrong, but that she needed to come home soon.  I kept repeating that----------you should come home soon-------she finally guessed and I am surprised she didn't get a speeding ticket. 

Everybody is thrilled that they are home and I am not in deep doodoo for keeping anything from her.  In a little while, we will take our GD home and pick up some chicken on the way and have dinner at my daughter's house.  She is not yet aware that her brother is home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Jo McDonald

Wonderful !!!
But it seems to me the reason you can't surprise your wife is ------TA Da -----You can't keep your mouth shut !!!
That is just a guess, however ----
Why didn't you just wait until she came home?????`
  Gosh Larry -- seems to me   ------- You are NO FUN AT ALL!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk