Jury Nullification

Started by redcliffsw, December 04, 2009, 09:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

So it's OK if I happen to be a relative or an employee of the accused?

Anmar

how else are guys like OJ supposed to get off for murder?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on December 08, 2009, 04:26:35 PM
how else are guys like OJ supposed to get off for murder?
Sorry but OJ bought his aquittal from the powers that be.  In that high profile case, most likely the jury was tampered with.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

redcliffsw

Here's something about "jury nullification" that I received from a friend in another county:

"I just had lunch at out Rotary Club with one of our local judges. He said this principle (jury nullification) is real. He called it 'a dirty little secret' that the courts don't want the jury members to know. He further stated that the defense or prosecution lawyers aren't allowed to question the reasons for the finding by the jury, so the principle can be applied with impunity."

Varmit

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 08, 2009, 11:35:55 AM
So it's OK if I happen to be a relative or an employee of the accused?

Good point Diane.  There should be four questions asked, 3 previously stated and 4) Is your Oath or Affirmation (i.e. your word of Honor) actually worth the time it took to give it?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Then change the law! This if "they" did this, then"they'll" do that logic assumes people will do things just because they can. I don't find that to be true.

Varmit

Diane, your logic might hold water if every law was brought before the american people before it was signed into law.  Juries have a right to nullification.  Any judge who doesn't inform them of this should be removed from the bench.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

How? The court systems are already bogged down. Was that piece written by by a high school student as an assignment or was it real? There are some things about it that don't ring true.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 16, 2009, 11:09:11 AM
Then change the law! This if "they" did this, then"they'll" do that logic assumes people will do things just because they can. I don't find that to be true.
It is true.  I won't convict someone in a jury if the law is a unjust law.  I'll hang the jury if need be.  Don't care what the judge says either.  He has no right to tell me I can't judge a law.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk