Sixty-two Years Ago Today, Nov. 29th 1947, the UN Voted to Create Israel....

Started by Warph, November 30, 2009, 01:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 30, 2009, 01:48:53 PM

I am curious, is there a moderator on this forum or not?

Of course there's a moderator on this forum.  But imnsho this particular forum, 'Politics', is unique in some ways.  In over 25 years of participating in blogs, online chat groups and forums, I have found that 'political' forums are usually created and maintained with the idea that totally open and free expression (no matter how offensive it may seem to some) is a venue allowing people to often vent openly and sometimes clear the air and/or open doors to better understanding.

I realize that sometimes we all think (and oft express outwardly) views, thoughts, etc. that are less than tactful.  But in a political forum, of all places, we should be able to respect one overriding principal:  In this country, we are guaranteed by law the right of free and open speech.  We are not guaranteed any rights not to be offended by the speech of another.  In the long run, to guarantee such a right (protection from offense) leads to censorship and the repression of the free exchange of ideas.

Yes, most forums impose certain censorship on language and such.  That is, of course, within the scope and right of a 'closed group'.  This political forum could well resort to such limitations.  And, probably does at times.  But generally speaking, I like to see political forums have a certain degree of 'free for all'.  If for no other reason than to reinforce the most basic of rights granted by Providence:  Free Will.  We don't have to accept, or even like what others say (personally or otherwise), but they are, nonetheless, entitled to those views, thoughts and expressions.  With, of course, the exception of yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is none.  But that is for the prevention of physical injury to others.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Patriot

One last thought on my former post....

When we have such an open forum (even to the extent that 'personal attacks') sometimes flare up, we also can demonstrate how our free will can be used to avoid engaging in fruitless exchanges.  We can learn something about 'self control' and regaining 'self control'.  And we can do it without a mommy figure (be it a moderator or co-dependent participant) standing on the sidelines yelling 'Foul'. 

I just re-read that last sentence.  So it's clear, that was NOT a reference to any particular poster on this forum, lest I be .. uh... censured?   ;D

jerry wagner

Quote from: Patriot on November 30, 2009, 02:56:15 PM
Of course there's a moderator on this forum.  But imnsho this particular forum, 'Politics', is unique in some ways.  In over 25 years of participating in blogs, online chat groups and forums, I have found that 'political' forums are usually created and maintained with the idea that totally open and free expression (no matter how offensive it may seem to some) is a venue allowing people to often vent openly and sometimes clear the air and/or open doors to better understanding.

I realize that sometimes we all think (and oft express outwardly) views, thoughts, etc. that are less than tactful.  But in a political forum, of all places, we should be able to respect one overriding principal:  In this country, we are guaranteed by law the right of free and open speech.  We are not guaranteed any rights not to be offended by the speech of another.  In the long run, to guarantee such a right (protection from offense) leads to censorship and the repression of the free exchange of ideas.

Yes, most forums impose certain censorship on language and such.  That is, of course, within the scope and right of a 'closed group'.  This political forum could well resort to such limitations.  And, probably does at times.  But generally speaking, I like to see political forums have a certain degree of 'free for all'.  If for no other reason than to reinforce the most basic of rights granted by Providence:  Free Will.  We don't have to accept, or even like what others say (personally or otherwise), but they are, nonetheless, entitled to those views, thoughts and expressions.  With, of course, the exception of yelling fire in a crowded theater when there is none.  But that is for the prevention of physical injury to others.

I understand that we are guaranteed freedom of expression, does not mean we are free from consequences for that expression. 

Patriot

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 30, 2009, 03:29:23 PM
I understand that we are guaranteed freedom of expression, does not mean we are free from consequences for that expression. 

Ayup.... I'll gladly let you use some of my rope... or one of my firearms... or one of my knives to administer the consequences you deem appropriate.  That is if you feel so inclined.  Personally, I think I'll just let em talk and get it out of their systems.

jerry wagner

Quote from: Patriot on November 30, 2009, 03:35:57 PM
Ayup.... I'll gladly let you use some of my rope... or one of my firearms... or one of my knives to administer the consequences you deem appropriate.  That is if you feel so inclined.  Personally, I think I'll just let em talk and get it out of their systems.

Funny... not really what I meant.... merely saying that it would be appropriate to warn them for their statements.... that that would be the consequence.

Anmar

We have a forum mod, but he jumps right in there with them when it comes to making personal attacks.  He issues gerenal warnings every now and then, but then makes cheap personal attacks (sometimes in the same thread that he's warning people)
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

jerry wagner

Quote from: Anmar on November 30, 2009, 05:27:34 PM
We have a forum mod, but he jumps right in there with them when it comes to making personal attacks.  He issues gerenal warnings every now and then, but then makes cheap personal attacks (sometimes in the same thread that he's warning people)

The post querying whether or not we had a forum moderator was in jest.

Anmar

ahh, you know jerry, i only spend time on these forums when I'm at work.  Sometimes i just read through things and don't let the whole thing soak in.  My apologies.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

jerry wagner

Quote from: ELK@KC on November 30, 2009, 12:20:08 PM
ANMAR, you are so full of yourself, you seem to have a very distinct inferiority complex. You try to cut down everything everyone says. Everyone else's opinions are wrong and you think your opinion's are fact, you need some serious counseling.
Our group here  feels sure that you are Muslim, which is your business, we also are sure that you are sexually confused, some think you are a male wanting to be a female and some think you are a female wanting to be a male. Hopefully you will get some help, in any case it is evident that you have never spent anytime in rural America and your values are not what the people of Elk County have. You belong on a California Pelosi forum.

Ignoring the personal attacks that I had commented on previously.... Why are people not permitted to have values that are different than your own?  Also, what is with the California attack?  I really do not understand.... Free speech is embraced so long as your viewpoint is the only one expressed otherwise it is "not the values we have".  How can you value free speech and freedom of religion and not have some values than people in Elk County possess?  Are you trying to say that Elk County does not value freedom of speech, religion, etc.... That Elk County does not value freedom of sexual preference and exercise?

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on November 30, 2009, 08:12:08 PM
Ignoring the personal attacks that I had commented on previously.... Why are people not permitted to have values that are different than your own?  Also, what is with the California attack?  I really do not understand.... Free speech is embraced so long as your viewpoint is the only one expressed otherwise it is "not the values we have".  How can you value free speech and freedom of religion and not have some values than people in Elk County possess?  Are you trying to say that Elk County does not value freedom of speech, religion, etc.... That Elk County does not value freedom of sexual preference and exercise?

Might be that there is no constitutional guarantee on values.  Right is right and wrong is wrong.  You are guaranteed free speech.  As far as the sexual preference issue and exercise thereof, thats because its wrong.  Period.  You want to get technical about it any sexual expression outside of a marraige between man and woman is wrong.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk