Goverment Schools

Started by redcliffsw, November 23, 2009, 08:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

Those that passed them should be fired. how do you fire the parents? ??? ??? ??? ??? ::)

pamsback

QuoteGovernment schools were instituted long after the indian wars. 
November 1, 1878 - Captain Richard H. Pratt opened the Carlisle Indian School at an abandoned military post in Pennsylvania.

After Carlisle opened, boarding schools became a part of official U.S. Government Indian policy and they began popping up all across the US. Usually in former Military forts.

Between 1880-1902, children numbering between 20,000-30,000 as young as 2 yrs old were removed from their homes and sent to various boarding schools nationwide in an attempt to assimilate.

GOVERNMENT boarding schools.......

you could fill an encylclopedia with what you DON'T know...............................

QuoteAnd as far as beating?

I'm not talkin about a whuppin for something you did. I'm talking about beating you for BEING WHO YOU WERE. Beating, starving,shaving their heads, making them ASHAMED of who they were, and don't EVEN start tellin me they had it comin or that it didn't happen. I can quote chapter and verse buddy and provide PROOF.

I stand by my saying SCHOOL is not the problem....it's MOSTLY parents who are the problem....and spend my tax dollars on school for other peoples kids..it's fine with me.

I'm done.

Sarah

I agree that it is parents responsibility to a point.  Parents these days are very out of touch with their kids and what's going on, but then most families these days, the woman and the man work full time or worse, they are raising their kids by themselves because they're divorced and no one is ever home TO raise the kids. 

But for awhile, schools were teaching "whole word recognition" instead of phonics and that little stunt turned out a ton of kids that didn't know how to read or at least, didn't know how to read well.  And it's not always the parents fault.  There are times when in the large schools with a ton of students the teachers don't spend time with each and every student and there are students that are slipping through from grade to grade without knowing the basics and it's NOT the parents fault.  It's teachers and school's faults.  If it was always the parents fault there wouldn't be programs like the "no child left behind" deal and places like Sylvan and so forth.  Some kids just plain don't get it, but other times it's just a matter of lousy teachers.   

srkruzich

Quote from: pamsback on November 24, 2009, 06:07:24 PM
November 1, 1878 - Captain Richard H. Pratt opened the Carlisle Indian School at an abandoned military post in Pennsylvania.

After Carlisle opened, boarding schools became a part of official U.S. Government Indian policy and they began popping up all across the US. Usually in former Military forts.

Between 1880-1902, children numbering between 20,000-30,000 as young as 2 yrs old were removed from their homes and sent to various boarding schools nationwide in an attempt to assimilate.

GOVERNMENT boarding schools.......

you could fill an encylclopedia with what you DON'T know...............................
First of all, the events that you speak of are a common practice in any nation that war has taken place. You take the young of the ones who were defeated and train them.  For example, today in iraq, we have taken the schools and turned them into secular schools and are removing children from the terrorist schools.  It is a method that defeats ideologies like terrorism.  It takes a long time to accomplish but it is effective.

QuoteI'm not talkin about a whuppin for something you did. I'm talking about beating you for BEING WHO YOU WERE. Beating, starving,shaving their heads, making them ASHAMED of who they were, and don't EVEN start tellin me they had it comin or that it didn't happen. I can quote chapter and verse buddy and provide PROOF.

I stand by my saying SCHOOL is not the problem....it's MOSTLY parents who are the problem....and spend my tax dollars on school for other peoples kids..it's fine with me.

I'm done.

You know everyone is a victim you know.  My forefathers were stuck in a mining town and forced to buy company store products live in company housing, ect ect ect.  Then you have the powhattens tried to massacre the alogonquins for warning the settlers about the powhattans attempt to poison their food and water supply.  Lets see shaving heads, beating them, i think the alogonquins would have gladly put up with that than to have what was done to them by indians.  

Everyone has a persecution story.  BUt you know what.  Stuff happens, and life goes on.  What i don't understand is why anyone would take up offense at what was done 100 -150 years ago to some particular race.  IT happened it ended and life went on.  I am sure that a ton of folks here have stories in their family history of how so and so was slaughtered by some tribe that got their panties in a wad over something.  SSDD.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

pamsback

Quotemost families these days, the woman and the man work full time or worse, they are raising their kids by themselves because they're divorced and no one is ever home TO raise the kids. 

that's no excuse. I was a single mother for 8 years with my boys. I worked, sometimes actually more than sometimes double shifts but I ALWAYS made time for them. I knew what they were doin and who they were doin it with. They threw a few di-dos like ANY kid worth their salt will do but I made sure they footed the bill for said di-doe themselves and that taught em di-does cost. Since I got married again and had Ashley we have both worked full time up until I got laid off 2 years ago. I always had time for Ashleys things just like I had time for my boys things.
I made choices that put them before me and what I may or may not have wanted to do which is what MOST people DON'T do nowadays. That is why it is the fault of parents. You can try to blame the teachers or whoever else but if your kid is screwed up it's YOUR responsibility no-one elses ( this is a statement in general. NOT directed at anybody in this discussion)

but that's just MY opinion and as we all know......... I'm wrong so...........

SRK.......to make a point which escapes you as usual. I'm not gonna chase my tail tryin to explain it to you. I've noticed you have trouble gettin my abstract points..maybe I don't give a good enough explanation to start with I don't know but I ain't got the patience for anything else. So make of it what you will.

Sarah

Quote from: pamsback on November 24, 2009, 06:59:58 PM
that's no excuse. I was a single mother for 8 years with my boys. I worked, sometimes actually more than sometimes double shifts but I ALWAYS made time for them. I knew what they were doin and who they were doin it with. They threw a few di-dos like ANY kid worth their salt will do but I made sure they footed the bill for said di-doe themselves and that taught em di-does cost. Since I got married again and had Ashley we have both worked full time up until I got laid off 2 years ago. I always had time for Ashleys things just like I had time for my boys things.
I made choices that put them before me and what I may or may not have wanted to do which is what MOST people DON'T do nowadays. That is why it is the fault of parents. You can try to blame the teachers or whoever else but if your kid is screwed up it's YOUR responsibility no-one elses ( this is a statement in general. NOT directed at anybody in this discussion)

But we both know that there's a vast chunk of parents that don't do that.  They work and when they come home they may talk to their kids about school, look at their little papers, make sure their homework is done, but that's it.  If they're seriously struggling with reading, their parents don't think much about it.  Loser parents?  perhaps.  More interested in their own life?  Perhaps.  Who knows why.  But if it's the school's job to "educate"........then why are kids coming out that aren't?  If it's NOT the school's job.............then why are they there in the first place?  If it's the parents job to make sure their children are educated.......which by the way I agree with..........then every one should homeschool.  But then again, if those same parents don't give a twit about what's happening to their kids in the public schools, then they'd never succeed at any type of schooling.

srkruzich

SRK.......to make a point which escapes you as usual. I'm not gonna chase my tail tryin to explain it to you. I've noticed you have trouble gettin my abstract points..maybe I don't give a good enough explanation to start with I don't know but I ain't got the patience for anything else. So make of it what you will.
i understood exactly what point you made but it wasn't relevant to the topic at hand. It was not government school for the general population that was paid for by theft of taxpayers money.  It was for a select few individuals which would technically be a private school or like you said boarding school.   
In effect a indoctrination school.  Their goal was to reducate ideologies.  That is the same thing that the Government schools of today do.

srkruzich

Well these kids didn't have a chance to start with. Their parents are products of the government school system. 

larryJ

I have been reading this with interest waiting for the teachers on the forum to open up.  Here is SoCal, in recent years, the state has initiated an "exit" exam.  All high school seniors must pass this exam in order to graduate.  There are summer school programs that students can or must take in order to get through high school.  

I never have believed that it is the teacher's fault if a student doesn't "get it."  And, I know it's tough when both parents are working or divorced.  When the child gets out of school for the day, he goes to another after school program or Grandma's house or is a latch key kid.  After school is the time for kids to go over what they studied for the day and talk to someone if they have a problem.  Our kids came home and did their homework or studied for at least two hours before being allowed to watch TV or go outside to play.  Parents these days don't have the time or the energy to help.  But, there is always a day off where a parent can sit down with the kid and talk to them about school.  And, no matter how tired you are or how busy you are, go to that teacher's conference and find out why your kid is not "getting it."  That is not to say that there are not bad teachers in the system.  There was one time that we asked the school to move one of our kids to another classroom because we thought the teacher wasn't really that good and we wanted the best for our daughter.  If you can't help your child outside of school, find someone who can help.

I will brag here-----------both of ours graduated with honors, got well deserved scholarships, and became professionals in their respective fields.  Who do I thank for that?  The teachers who saw that we were interested in what our kids were doing in school and my wife, who was fortunate to be able to stay home with them most of their school years.  She taught them the little things like responsibility and ability to think for themselves.

There I go again, ranting.

Larryj

P.S. I did change the spelling of the title of the thread from "goverment" to "government.  
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

momof 2boys

I personally feel that teacher and parent should work together to do what is best for the student.  There are some great teachers out there that work tirelessly for their students.  They bust their rears trying to help the student only to run up against the road block of a parent that  is uninvolved in their child's education.  What is the teacher to do then? If a teacher feels that the child should be retained, and the parent overrides that decision, what is done then?  The district can force the issue, the student is transferred to another school, problem solved as far as the parent is concerned.  Only the student hasn't received the education he/she so desperately needs.  

As for a parent that feels that there is a teacher that isn't quite making the grade as far as educating the student, then the parent needs to step up and do what is best for their child.  This might be addressing the powers that be, switching schools, homeschooling, etc.  If my child wasn't getting the education he needed and I just sat back and did nothing, then yes, it is my fault as a parent just as much as it is the system's fault for not doing their job.   There is no way that a "responsible" parent is going to let their child just be pushed through the system.    

In districts where it works you have teachers and parents that care and do all that they can to ensure that students get the education they deserve.  But if one part of that puzzle is missing, teaching or parenting,  then it can be a failure to kids. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for every "lousy teacher" that is out there, there is also some "irresponsible parents" and both are failing our children.

I must say this, working in education over the past 12 years I have seen some wonderful caring teachers and parents in this district that do all that they can for their kids.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk