What Gets You Into the Christmas Spirit?

Started by Wilma, November 18, 2009, 09:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

This is my favorite time of year, it's cooling off outside, deer season is about to open, and the wife is always baking.  We usually wait until the wkend after Thanksgiving to put up our tree.  In the afternoon the wife and kids will make Christmas cookies while I dig out the decorations from the garage (during that time it is a good thing the kids are in the house, my language tends to be a little non-Christmas).  Then in the evening, we put on some Christmas music (I like the older stuff, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Sinatra) and I set up the tree then eat myself stupid on cookies while the wife and kids decorate it.  This year I get to cheat a little, we bought a tree with the lights already in it.  We decorate the inside of the house up until Christmas eve, and the wife is baking something all the time.  

I forgot to mention that while in the garage digging out decorations I also dig out my "holiday pants", they're the ones that are a size to big until march.  I realized last year that as I get older the decrease in pant size is pushed back to a later date.  Regrettably, this year I think that I will have to buy new "holiday pants".  Of course the best thing about this time of year is that my wife is always cooking something.  I had actually thought of dieting this year, but as I came home today to the smell of pot roast and apple pie I thought to myself, "she must like me this way" so instead of making her feel bad I have no choice but to eat copious amounts fresh baked pie, cookies, and homemade candy.  Oh well, I guess we all have to make sacrifices for the ones we love.  That is what the season is about, afterall.  Well, that and food.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

larryJ

I am with all of you.  It is the music and family and traditions.  Many years ago, my wife and I attended a Neil Diamond concert.  It was a Christmas concert in which he sang his hits and also some Christmas music.  We later bought the CD and around Thanksgiving we start playing the music.  Neil's album is always first.  We attended a Christmas party one time and the hostess was playing some instrumental music in the background.  I was impressed and asked who the group was.  It was Mannheim Steamroller and we bought all of their Christmas albums.  Other favorites include Barbra Streisand and Johnny Mathis.  As our daughter and her husband now have a house, I imagine that our celebrations during the holiday season will be there instead of here.  Our son and his wife will still be traveling the world and can't be here which is a bummer, but they will be home soon after the New Year.  Just wanting to be with our family, especially our granddaughters is reason enough to be in the spirit.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Sarah

Quote from: Varmit on November 18, 2009, 11:01:44 PM
This is my favorite time of year, it's cooling off outside, deer season is about to open, and the wife is always baking.  We usually wait until the wkend after Thanksgiving to put up our tree.  In the afternoon the wife and kids will make christmas cookies while I dig out the decorations from the garage (during that time it is a good thing the kids are in the house, my language tends to be a little non-christmas).  Then in the evening, we put on some christmas music (I like the older stuff, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Sinatra) and I set up the tree then eat myself stupid on cookies while the wife and kids decorate it.  This year I get to cheat a little, we bought a tree with the lights already in it.  We decorate the inside of the house up until christmas eve, and the wife is baking something all the time. 

I forgot to mention that while in the garage digging out decorations I also dig out my "holiday pants", they're the ones that are a size to big until march.  I realized last year that as I get older the decrease in pant size is pushed back to a later date.  Regetably, this year I think that I will have to buy new "holiday pants".  Of course the best thing about this time of year is that my wife is always cooking something.  I had actually thought of dieting this year, but as I came home today to the smell of pot roast and apple pie I thought to myself, "she must like me this way" so instead of making her feel bad I have no choice but to eat copious amounts fresh baked pie, cookies, and homemade candy.  Oh well, I guess we all have to make sacrifices for the ones we love.  That is what the season is about, afterall.  Well, that and food.

Awwee....that's so sweet.  And I guarantee, your wife loves you just the way you are!!  ;)

I have to admit I'm having trouble getting into the spirit this year.  The days got really short, really fast it seems.  Usually what gets me in the mood is Christmas music and seeing Christmas stuff in the stores...........I just ignore it until after Halloween.  LOL  I enjoy how busy Wichita gets around the holidays and seeing all the people with all their packages.  And the house there in Howard, across the way from the courthouse with a wreath on every fence post and their porch posts wrapped....that was really cool to see. 

Jo McDonald

I have been stalling --- waiting for many more posts to take me faaaaarrr away from Rudy's post, but heck - I may as well get ready to do his wishful bidding -- he IS NOT going to give it a rest.  sighhhhhhhhh

If I bake it, will you pick it up???

( no, I'm not going to bake it NOW -- I will wait until closer to YOUR day )
   lol
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

flo

I don't think about Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving.  It seems retailers have forgotten the day that THEY as well as their customers are the pause and give thanks to our Savior, and THEN comes Christmas.  I'll decorate inside and out (altho have cut down on the outside) and wait for family and friends to come enjoy the day together.  Many of my inside decorations have special memories that go with them.  With so many dinners to attend, I no longer fix a large Christmas dinner.  We have a couple kinds of soup, lots of dips for veggies, chips, etc., a couple homemade cheese balls w/crakers, some desserts, condiments, etc., the over abundant homemade candies and goodies, paper plates and bowls, and everyone eats what they want to when they want to and we women get to enjoy visiting also.  No large lavish gifts at my house.  Everyone has something under the tree and everyone is happy with what they receive.  It is a day to be together, enjoy, and reflect.  I have plenty of "sad" moments, but don't dwell on them.  I will not do anything that will spoil the day for my children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren.  They are my Christmas.  May everyone have a blessed HOLIDAY SEASON.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

flo

Oh, Yeah, Christmas Music.  I have a favorite record album by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that I love.  It is the traditional carols sung like you can't believe.  But sadly, I have not gotten any speakers for my record player yet, so I won't get to hear them again this year.  I thought surely someone would be out in their garage, basement, attic, and find some speakers that go with the old stereo that don't work anymore, but  :-\  :'( . . .
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Sarah

Quote from: flo on November 19, 2009, 10:35:43 AM
Oh, Yeah, Christmas Music.  I have a favorite record album by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir that I love.  It is the traditional carols sung like you can't believe.  But sadly, I have not gotten any speakers for my record player yet, so I won't get to hear them again this year.  I thought surely someone would be out in their garage, basement, attic, and find some speakers that go with the old stereo that don't work anymore, but  :-\  :'( . . .

Oh I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I have some of their music.  My favourite Christmas song is "Carol Of The Bells" and they really do an awesome job on it. 

pamsback

I'm bringin the speakers Thanksgiving Ma....if you ain't home I'll leave em for ya. I swear I won't forget em this time :P

The smell of cedar, Christmas music, Christmas Vacation and It's a Wonderful Life, chili, a pot of water with cinnamon,cloves and orange peels settin on the wood stove, thinkin about all the kids and grandkids comin, that's what gets me in the mood for Christmas. Oh and Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer...watched it every year since I can remember.....it's a tradition lol

Diane Amberg

I know this is evil, but on Thanksgiving we try to watch Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation". Just rolls me on the floor every time I see it.

Rhonda

We watch that every year also sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Sometimes more than once.  That is the funniest movie ever!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk