Railroad through Howard?

Started by MarineMom, October 05, 2006, 10:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarineMom

I just recently learned that a railroad used to run through my house :o Does anybody know anything about this old railroad? Where did it come from? where did it go too? When was it here?  I would love to be able to tell my grandson about it next time I am out west to see him, Trains fascinate him (at the moment anyway)

Janet Harrington

I'll let Ms. T answer that one because I don't even know where you live.

genealogynut

Don says the train came from Emporia and went to Moline.  It went right thru Fiat. The first train went through Howard on Christmas Day in 1880.  The line was extended from Howard to Moline in 1886. The last train that went through was April 15, 1975.  But since we don't know where Marine Mom lives, we can't say anymore.

Part of this information was taken from the Elk County History Book on pages 50-51.

Wilma

This railroad went through Howard on the west side, crossed Washington just west of Harrod's shop, then angled to the northeast and crossed 99 between the Busby road and Reams, then through Fiat and on north through the east side of Severy.  It crossed Wabash Ave. somewhere towards the north end of town.  In my mind I can see where it crossed but don't know the names of the streets or who is living in the vicinity now.  Where do you live, Marine Mom?

MarineMom

I'm down on North Wabash, between Michigan and Iowa

genealogynut

I grew up on Iowa Street.  The railroad ran about 1/2 block north of where we were and angled off to the southwest and crossed Wabash St. just a few yards south of where Wayne and Anita Hatfield live(d). Since the last train went thru in 1975 and it was a few years before the tracks were taken out.........for it to have gone thru where your house is sitting, your house would have to be approx. 25 years old.  We don't recall seeing any newer homes in that area while we were there Saturday.

MarineMom

This house is older than 25 years so the railroad went through our field not the house, Do you happen to have any idea how old the house may be?

genealogynut

This is purely guesswork.........I would say 75+ years.

MarineMom

we were thinking that it must have been built in the 20's or 30's. There is a very heavy cast iron bath tub in the upstairs bathroom and we have been trying to figure out how on earth they got it in there, because there is absolutely no way that thing went up the stairs :laugh:

Wilma

I remember my folks taking out an upstairs window to move the full size beds in as they couldn't make the turn in the stairway.  I don't remember how we got them out.  Of course, I didn't really have a lot to do with moving the big furniture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk