Veterans

Started by Anmar, November 11, 2009, 09:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lookatmeknow!!

I am with you on this one Dianne.  Just don't know the pain of serving in a war is like, but have many friends that have been to Iraq and acros the seas to protect this country.  Now we are agrueing over who or who is not a veteran.  Now, I think any person strong enough to join one of armed services deserves a salute!  They protect are country!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

larryJ

Just to keep things straight----------A Veteran is someone who puts on a uniform issued to them by the government of the United States of America.  A Veteran is someone who gives up their personal life to serve the government of the United States of America.  A Veteran is someone who takes an oath to protect the government of the United States of America. 

I don't care if the war is declared.  That is a political "football" and doesn't mean squat to anyone who puts on that uniform.  If the government sends someone to another country to protects its interests by shooting at other people, that person is a Veteran.  If the government sends someone to stand and guard a garbage dump in the Mojave desert, that person is a Veteran.

From:  7th Bat, 5th Arty, 6th Bat, 21st Arty and United States Army Medical Corp.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Patriot

Quote from: larryJ on November 12, 2009, 01:06:17 PM
Just to keep things straight----------A Veteran is someone who puts on a uniform issued to them by the government of the United States of America.  A Veteran is someone who gives up their personal life to serve the government of the United States of America.  A Veteran is someone who takes an oath to protect the government of the United States of America. 

Larryj

Lest I was mis-understood.... What Larry says is absolutely correct.  With one note of correction:  The oath is NOT to protect the government of the USA... it is to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against enemies both foreign and domestic.  Not a minor difference, imo.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

larryJ

Youi are correct and I was kinda on the same page in saying that I would obey the orders of the President of the United States, read government.  See paste below.

STATUTE-
      (a) Enlistment Oath. - Each person enlisting in an armed force
    shall take the following oath:
        "I, __________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will
      support and defend the Constitution of the United States against
      all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith
      and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of
      the President of the United States and the orders of the officers
      appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code
      of Military Justice. So help me God."

Larryj

Patriot

Quote from: larryJ on November 13, 2009, 12:25:56 PM
Youi are correct and I was kinda on the same page in saying that I would obey the orders of the President of the United States, read government.  See paste below.

STATUTE-
      (a) Enlistment Oath. - Each person enlisting in an armed force
    shall take the following oath:
        "I, __________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will
      support and defend the Constitution of the United States against
      all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith
      and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of
      the President of the United States and the orders of the officers
      appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code
      of Military Justice. So help me God."

Larryj

The really scary thing today stems from, 'according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."  Neither regulations nor the UCMJ require (nay, they prohibit) obeying any unlawful order!  How many today can or will evaluate their orders before blindly executing them?  All the more reason to keep the 2nd Amendment intact and enforced.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

larryJ

From AOL news today.  This guy deserves all the respect we can give.

War Hero Can Keep His FlagpoleAP
posted: 3 HOURS 47 MINUTES AGOcomments: 1539filed under: National News
PRINT|E-MAILMOREText SizeAAASkip over this content

Richmond Times-Dispatch / AP
Col. Van T. Barfoot raises the flag Dec. 2 at his home near Richmond, Va.
RICHMOND, Va. (Dec. 9) -- A 90-year-old Medal of Honor winner can keep his 21-foot flagpole in his front yard after a homeowners association dropped its request to remove it, a spokesman for Democratic Virginia Sen. Mark Warner said Tuesday.
The Sussex Square homeowners association likewise has agreed to drop threats to take legal action against retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, Warner spokesman Kevin Hall said.
The association had threatened to take Barfoot to court if he failed to remove the pole from his suburban Richmond home by Friday. It had said the pole violated the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines.
Neither Barfoot's daughter, Margaret Nicholls, nor homeowners association president Glenn Wilson has returned telephone messages.
Dropping the issue effectively ends a request that White House press secretary Robert Gibbs on Monday called "silly."
Warner and Sen. Jim Webb, both Virginia Democrats, had rallied behind Barfoot, a World War II veteran.

God Bless America------

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk