WEST ELK VOTERS SAY A FIRM "NO" ON TUESDAY

Started by Rudy Taylor, November 03, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: Sarah on November 06, 2009, 08:23:52 AM
Quote from: Wilma on November 06, 2009, 08:17:13 AM
I have said this before, but I am going to say it again.  My husband drove from Severy to Wichita every day to work a job that paid good and still raise our kids in a better community and school.  He did this for 25 years until the children were grown and he didn't have 400 to drive on.  He drove the old 96 with it's hills and curves.  To me, not living in Elk County because of the lack of good paying jobs doesn't float.  Wichita is one hour and ten minutes from Howard.  Emporia is about the same.  Winfield and Independence, about 45 minutes.  I know the cost of gasoline is prohibitive now, but back then, the wages weren't so good either.  And there is this thing called car pooling.  My husband was very seldom alone on his trip to work.  Mostly the car was full.  That was our choice so that our kids could live the life of a small community.

But gas is 3 times higher now.  My husband did work in Wichita for awhile when we first moved out here and I'll tell you, almost half of his paycheck was eaten up in gas driving back and forth.  Not everyone can get a $40 an hour job at Boeing or Cessna.  

Sarah:

BINGO!  And in this economy even getting a $15 an hour job is getting tough.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Lookatmeknow!!

I hate Walmart!!  LOL!!  Really, it's not fun to take 3 kids with you shopping, which I usually do, and go into that place and come out without a head.  No thank you on a Walmart, my opinion, but I will take Family Market anyday!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

srkruzich

I don't necessarily like walmart either but a wally world right here in elk or near elk would provide a LOT of jobs.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on November 06, 2009, 09:20:08 AM
I don't necessarily like walmart either but a wally world right here in elk or near elk would provide a LOT of jobs.

I vote for south of Severy (right inside Elk County) or just east of Longton.  Inside Elk Co, we get some sales tax revenue....

But, alas, with the population base here, methinks we need not worry about a WallyWorld.  Hey.... maybe an Alco!  lol
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Diane Amberg

I don't think you have enough population to support another Walmart. They really do their homework. We have only two and New Castle County has 510,000 people.

DanCookson

Quote from: Varmit on November 06, 2009, 07:08:33 AM
Heres a solution to the school issue.  If the citizens that voted yes to a bond and a new school want one, then why don't they get together and build one?  They can offer whatever classes they want, hire the teachers they want, have whatever programs they want, etc.  That way, they get their new school, the "no" voters get what they want, its a win-win situation.

Wow.... At that point would the citizens that voted yes be able to deny access to kids whose parents found it necessary to cast a no vote???  I would assume that most everyone viewing this forum went to a public school that was not funded solely by a small group of people....

Everyone has opinions and is very entitled to such.  Everyone has ideas and EVERYONE wants a solution.  This is a very emotional issue and people inherently want what is best for their children, community, and family.  That may come in the way of a great education, or fear of losing your town, or fear of taking food off the table because of a tax burden.

We cannot lose sight of the big picture that this vote was just that.... A vote.   All it has done is close the door on a solution.  We still have the problem however, and a solution must be found.  I hope that the board meeting on the 9th will be well attended and we can move in a positive direction for the future of our school district and communities as a whole group.

Diane Amberg

How about "classroom buses" that go to where the kids are? Don't laugh!Think about it.

srkruzich

Quote from: DanCookson on November 06, 2009, 10:36:08 AM
Quote from: Varmit on November 06, 2009, 07:08:33 AM
Heres a solution to the school issue.  If the citizens that voted yes to a bond and a new school want one, then why don't they get together and build one?  They can offer whatever classes they want, hire the teachers they want, have whatever programs they want, etc.  That way, they get their new school, the "no" voters get what they want, its a win-win situation.
You know i for one wasn't supported by taxpayers in school.  My parents took their responsibility for educating me seriously and paid for it themselves.  I paid for MY college education myself.  So I am a strong proponent of schooling being covered by those who choose to have kids.  I personally don't have a obligation to pay for another persons kids schooling since neither I nor my kids partook of government education.   

QuoteWow.... At that point would the citizens that voted yes be able to deny access to kids whose parents found it necessary to cast a no vote???  I would assume that most everyone viewing this forum went to a public school that was not funded solely by a small group of people....

First of all, the county is facing the exact same things that private schools face.  Small student population, limited budget yet the private schools do produce highly educated students.  Most students in private schools enter the 9th grade being able to do college level work.  Thats far above any Government school out there.   So all the bells and whistles programs that aren't necessary are'nt what makes educated students.  When i went to school, you learned because that was your job.  You didn't have to be enticed with anything. either you did it or got your butt busted when you brought home bad grades.  Not saying that the bells and whistles aren't nice, just not necessary.

Deny access if they don't want to foot the bill. Actually the idea isn't bad.  Don't you have to shell out bucks to get a college education?  Personally I have seen so many kids through the years piss off their education because its free to them.  IF they had to pay for it or earn it, then it would mean a whole lot more to them.   I had some bozo tell me one time that it was my duty and obligation to fund my kids college education and I asked him why?  He said its the way its done.   I responded to him that if i fund their education, the only incentive that gives them is that they can live off of daddys money and party til the cows come home in the college dorms.   But if i tell them there is no money, that you have to work a job and have to get grants, and earn your degree, then they will be too busy working hard to get the money and if their having to spend the money they gave up time in their life to earn to pay for that education, they will appreciate it more and make damn sure they get good grades.
One of my boys has 8 years in the Marine Corp and has earned 80,000 dollars for college.  Guess what.  He gave up 8 years of his life, fought in several battles of this war, faced death untold number of times.  You know good and well he's going to be utilizing that money for the best education he can get and he's going to make darn sure he gets the best grades too.

The message that was sent by the voters this time is, that there comes a time when you have to cut something in order to get the job done.  Businesses do it all the time.  Company i worked for cut their contributions of 1.25 per 1.00 put into 401k down to .50 per 1.00 put in just to keep jobs.  It was nice while it lasted but it did not affect the product being produced.   

We are fixing to see some serious hard times with this current administration spending us into oblivion. There is going to be hyperinflation hit us in the near future, and if this administration succeeds in taxing everything from heating to fuel to food production to the air we breath, your going to find that there isn't going to be anything left for schools.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

flo

srkruzich, I don't get your meaning.  Are you just trying to get us to read these a second time?  maybe you think we just skipped over them when they were posted.  ??? ??? ??? ::)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Lookatmeknow!!

Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk