WEST ELK VOTERS SAY A FIRM "NO" ON TUESDAY

Started by Rudy Taylor, November 03, 2009, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah

Quote from: kdtmv2003 on November 06, 2009, 07:54:19 AM
YES! The school is the main reason for our family to stay in Elk County.  We have moved to this area for our kids it is safer and the schools are safer also.  We do have work in Elk County so that should not be a reason to leave the county but we will be willing to drive for a more sound school system if need be.  We love it here and do not want to move.  But we will do the best thing for our kids.  Everyone says nobody is moving to this county to increase enrollment but we might not me much but we have 2 kids

Excuse my wording.  I should say that not everyone moves to an area just because of the schools.  I re-read my post and I did make it sound as if I was lumping everyone together.  My apologies. 

kdtmv2003

Quote from: Sarah on November 06, 2009, 08:01:34 AM
YES! The school is the main reason for our family to stay in Elk County.  We have moved to this area for our kids it is safer and the schools are safer also.  We do have work in Elk County so that should not be a reason to leave the county but we will be willing to drive for a more sound school system if need be.  We love it here and do not want to move.  But we will do the best thing for our kids.  Everyone says nobody is moving to this county to increase enrollment but we might not me much but we have 2 kids

Excuse my wording.  I should say that not everyone moves to an area just because of the schools.  I re-read my post and I did make it sound as if I was lumping everyone together.  My apologies. 
That is fine.  We all have our reasons for being here or staying here.

Patriot

I think we all have differing reasons for wanting to live here.  For some it's good & safe schools, for others is being away from the rat race of the city, for some a chance to start a new business, for some a get away to hunt and vacatoin.  But for those who choose to reside here, I think we need to admit that there is one common thread:  affordability!

If the cost of living here exceeds our ability to pay for it, then all the other 'reasons' are moot.  Keeping that in mind, I think we have to admit that things like jobs, good water, quality schools are all important.  And only good jobs, however, will lead to the ability to afford quality schools and good water.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  This county desperately needs to explore ways to develop its economy.  If we don't, then all the bond issues will do is provide nice schools for folks who can't afford to live out here.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on November 06, 2009, 08:10:47 AM

I think we all have differing reasons for wanting to live here.  For some it's good & safe schools, for others is being away from the rat race of the city, for some a chance to start a new business, for some a get away to hunt and vacatoin.  But for those who choose to reside here, I think we need to admit that there is one common thread:  affordability!

If the cost of living here exceeds our ability to pay for it, then all the other 'reasons' are moot.  Keeping that in mind, I think we have to admit that things like jobs, good water, quality schools are all important.  And only good jobs, however, will lead to the ability to afford quality schools and good water.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  This county desperately needs to explore ways to develop its economy.  If we don't, then all the bond issues will do is provide nice schools for folks who can't afford to live out here.
Got a question wasn't there supposed to be a nice windfall from the windfarms being built in elk county?  Shoot you could fund not only the school but actually bring in water into the county to attract more industry.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

I have said this before, but I am going to say it again.  My husband drove from Severy to Wichita every day to work a job that paid good and still raise our kids in a better community and school.  He did this for 25 years until the children were grown and he didn't have 400 to drive on.  He drove the old 96 with it's hills and curves.  To me, not living in Elk County because of the lack of good paying jobs doesn't float.  Wichita is one hour and ten minutes from Howard.  Emporia is about the same.  Winfield and Independence, about 45 minutes.  I know the cost of gasoline is prohibitive now, but back then, the wages weren't so good either.  And there is this thing called car pooling.  My husband was very seldom alone on his trip to work.  Mostly the car was full.  That was our choice so that our kids could live the life of a small community.

Patriot

srkruzich,

Not sure, but I'm guessin that waiting on the windfarms may be like waiting on the lottery.  That process is only one possibility.  But, yes it was supposed to bring in some serous bucks.  Not sure what the 'latest' number is, but I'm also not sure if  that would benefit he schools.

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on November 06, 2009, 08:17:13 AM
I have said this before, but I am going to say it again.  My husband drove from Severy to Wichita every day to work a job that paid good and still raise our kids in a better community and school.  He did this for 25 years until the children were grown and he didn't have 400 to drive on.  He drove the old 96 with it's hills and curves.  To me, not living in Elk County because of the lack of good paying jobs doesn't float.  Wichita is one hour and ten minutes from Howard.  Emporia is about the same.  Winfield and Independence, about 45 minutes.  I know the cost of gasoline is prohibitive now, but back then, the wages weren't so good either.  And there is this thing called car pooling.  My husband was very seldom alone on his trip to work.  Mostly the car was full.  That was our choice so that our kids could live the life of a small community.

Wilma, your going to find in the next year or so, the cost of gas is going to make driving to wichita impossible except on a weekly or monthly basis.  Cap n Trade is going to devestate this country.  Uhmm what your going to find if this happens is that people are going to have to rely on local jobs and resources as the transportation costs are going to be unbelievable.  This cap n trade is going to make last years 4.00 a gallon gas look cheap.

Sarah

But gas is 3 times higher now.  My husband did work in Wichita for awhile when we first moved out here and I'll tell you, almost half of his paycheck was eaten up in gas driving back and forth.  Not everyone can get a $40 an hour job at Boeing or Cessna.  

Patriot

Wilma,

I admire the gumption that you and yours have/had to make the sacrifice of the commute.  But that does not change the real possibility that some economic growth here in the county might be a good thing.  How many more of our kids might choose to stay IF they could find work here?  And the commute is a choice.  Not all are going to make that choice.  Why can't we look at giving people the opportunity to make it?

On a similar note, I've heard rumors for years that 'some folks don't want new business in the county cuz they don't want the change'.  Well, that's just sad.  While I really don't want to see Elk become some kind of metropolis, I do think that without some kind of growth what we'll see is a continuation of the trends of the last 60 years... shrinking population of ALL ages.  Perhaps when there are only 10 folks left living out here then the job growth naysayers will be happy.  (Darn, *that* was an emotional rant, wasn't it?)

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on November 06, 2009, 08:20:39 AM
srkruzich,

Not sure, but I'm guessin that waiting on the windfarms may be like waiting on the lottery.  That process is only one possibility.  But, yes it was supposed to bring in some serous bucks.  Not sure what the 'latest' number is, but I'm also not sure if  that would benefit he schools.
Well quite frankly, if it did bring in some serious bucks, the wisest use of that money would be first to build water lines and bring water in.  That will in turn bring industry.  No business will locate here without the basic infrastructure that will support it.   We need to be planning for the future in that regards as Like i posted cap n trade if passed will essentially destroy commuting to wichita, independance or any other larger town.  
The industry will most likely need to be near moline since railway will be the way to move product.
Once you get industry here, through enticing them into the area with infrastructure, low taxes, qualified workforce, the county can build from there and provide the school they want, and other resources.
Might even attract a walmart you know and the sales tax generated by that would keep the tax in the county instead of in other counties that have a walmart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk