Carbon Regulatory Offset Committee Public Service Announcement

Started by flintauqua, November 02, 2009, 09:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtcookson

Quote from: pamsback on November 06, 2009, 09:19:32 AMorganic gardening and farming

Ehhh.... I think organic food is as much a hoax as global warming.

mtcookson

They use more land than standard crops to yield the same amount of food.
They are in no way healthier than regular food and have no proof of such.
They don't have more flavor than regular food.
The pesticides they are allowed to use for the food to be considered organic is still very harmful/toxic.
The prices are ridiculous, some food items being two times the cost of regular food. Makes it look like yet another get rich quick scheme offering absolutely no positive benefits to the people who consume them.

Patriot

Quote from: mtcookson on November 06, 2009, 12:20:57 PM
The pesticides they are allowed to use for the food to be considered organic is still very harmful/toxic.
The prices are ridiculous, some food items being two times the cost of regular food. Makes it look like yet another get rich quick scheme offering absolutely no positive benefits to the people who consume them.

Only one rebuttal:  "Get rich quick scheme"

There are some who *are* getting rich off of the 'organic' movement!  I'm just not one of them! 
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Quote from: mtcookson on November 06, 2009, 12:20:57 PM

IF your talking about the Government label Organic, your right its a hoax. True organic farming, before the Government siezed the label organic didn't allow pesticides of any kind.  Now days the real organic foods are labeled Naturally Grown.  They don't allow pesticides of any kind.   Natural pest management utilizes things like praying mantiss, ladybugs, ect as well as planting plants that repell specific bugs next to the plants that the bugs attack.

Fertilizer is a no no if it is not from composted materials.  There is a definate health benefit there.
As far as land usage, its been known for thousands of years that  your land must rest otherwise you will deplete the soil.  So wide row planting like organic farms do allow the soil to rest in between the rows of plants, every year.  You just move the row over the next year.  Another farming practice that works well is divide your crop land  up into 7 plots.  Rotate your crops through the 7 plots and one plot gets rested every year.  

Weed control can be accomplished by tilling the soil just after the weed seed sprouts, then take mulch of some kind and spread over the soil after planting. That will do two things, it will keep weeds down and it will help hold moisture in the soil reducing watering.

You can produce much better quality and in some cases more food by increasing the harvest.
As far as the prices are concerned, yeah their out of sight. But to be quite frank, if i grow something and someone is willing to pay me 2x or 3x the price i'm not going to turn it down.  
There is significant labor involved in producing a quality no chemically grown product.

Now what really boggles my mind is that people would actually pay 4 dollars for a dozen of yard eggs.  
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on November 06, 2009, 12:33:37 PM

... Now what really boggles my mind is that people would actually pay 4 dollars for a dozen of yard eggs.  

Or a buck and a half for a bottle of filtered tap water!   ;D

Wait!  I have a good, clean well... and a filtering system.... and a UV system.....

Ok... what am I bid for a bottle of bottled Country water?  Do I hear $3.00?

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on November 06, 2009, 12:38:44 PM

... Now what really boggles my mind is that people would actually pay 4 dollars for a dozen of yard eggs.  

Or a buck and a half for a bottle of filtered tap water!   ;D

Wait!  I have a good, clean well... and a filtering system.... and a UV system.....

Ok... what am I bid for a bottle of bottled Country water?  Do I hear $3.00?

I gotta say more power to the guys who sell it.  People are gullible enough to pay for it.

SHoot when i go to town, i take a big cup of ice water with me and when i drink it down, i go into the gas stations and fill up with ice and water and they don't charge me.

IF i have to buy any water i buy a gallon not a bottle but a gallon of water for .60 cents

Patriot

I gotta say more power to the guys who sell it.  People are gullible enough to pay for it.

SHoot when i go to town, i take a big cup of ice water with me and when i drink it down, i go into the gas stations and fill up with ice and water and they don't charge me.

IF i have to buy any water i buy a gallon not a bottle but a gallon of water for .60 cents

Soooo... I guess that means you're not a buyer, eh?  <crossing srkruzich name off the Christmas card promo mailing list>

Anmar

Most organic food is a crock, but hey, Capitalism at its best.  go get sum
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on November 06, 2009, 01:03:18 PM

Soooo... I guess that means you're not a buyer, eh?  <crossing srkruzich name off the Christmas card promo mailing list>
LOL i'll trade ya 4.00 a dozen eggs for a couple cases of water.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk