NEEWOLLAH

Started by Dee Gee, October 31, 2009, 08:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Gee

A somewhat local event Neewollah at Independence has a web site that will show the parade at 11:00 today http://www.neewollah.com/ and they also have a camera set up at Penn & Myrtle that will be on all day.  Just some information for anyone wanting to see the parade but couldn't make the trip.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

patyrn

That's great!  It looks like a good day for a parade.  I remember marching in the Howard High School band in the Neewollah Parade back in the 60s, and it was such a great event and so much fun to go to the "big town" of Independence.  It was quite a challenge for our little band to march the umpteen blocks in that parade because we normally performed only at home football games and some local parades down Main Street.  What a great challenge, though.  Keeping straight lines, turning the corners precisely, and feeling so small as we stretched out on a wide street were all part of the experience.  The carnival was so exciting and getting to do some shopping was a "big deal".  Some years it was so cold that the instruments nearly froze to our lips and other times it was so hot we thought we'd pass out before we were done marching and could get a drink of water.  Independence does such a wonderful job of celebrating and has so many activities planned for the entire week preceding the Halloween weekend.  Quite a tribute to those who work tirelessly to promote southeast Kansas!!!!

Mom70x7

The Elementary, Junior High and High School bands all went over yesterday to march in the Kiddie Parade.

Wilma

I didn't know we had a marching band.  The marching band at Severy used to go past my house when they were practicing and I always enjoyed it so much.  Usually two of my girls would be in the band and one of them was a majorette a couple of years.  music was a big part of our lives.

patyrn

I'm glad the West Elk band students are getting some experience marching.  It's nice to see so much more participation in the last few years.  The program had really fallen on hard times before Mrs. Shilts-Baum arrived.  She has worked hard to build it up bit by bit.   Music is such an essential part of a well-rounded education!  It opens up a lot of doors.

sixdogsmom

I wonder why the marching band doesn't appear in any of the area activities?
Edie

Dee Gee

Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Diane Amberg

Mom70x7

Super picture - thanks!

QuoteI wonder why the marching band doesn't appear in any of the area activities?

The high school doesn't have much of a marching band. The director, Mrs. Shilts-Baum, doesn't have the time. Since the school board didn't hire an elementary music teacher, she teaches the band students in Moline for 2+ hours a day, then comes back to Howard to teach the basic junior high and senior high vocal and band classes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk