Corporal Punishment

Started by W. Gray, October 18, 2009, 09:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

From the Howard County Record (Longton), February 23, 1871, [first issue]

The abolition of corporal punishment in our public schools is warmly advocated by many of the papers in Kansas. We have nothing to say against taking the birch out of the hands of the School Ma'am; but if many of the urchins of these days are as hard as we used to be we recommend that she carry a revolver instead.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Corporal punishment in schools is still legal in the state of Kansas.

In 1867, New Jersey became the first state to ban school corporal punishment.
In 1971, Massachusetts became the second state to ban school corporal punishment—104 years later.

Thirty states now ban school corporal punishment with Ohio, being the last with a ban in 2009.
Twenty states still allow it in schools.

Wikipedia.

Of those states that legally allow corporal punishment in schools, implementation may vary by school district.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo,
I'm living proof that corporal punishment was alive & well in Longton High , the school year 65-66. As I was walking the plank I even read the note that sealed my fate. All it said was ,"this boy is unbearable ". Not hardly worth the five swats I received from a 3/4 inch thick walnut paddle, with holes drilled in it so it could pick up speed on every whack. Now I must confess that getting swats was kinda like a Badge Of Honor, and very few had the honor ---when you got to sign your name on the paddle. But I was denied that honor and have been scarred for life because of it !!!! Maybe I should see a shrink . :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk