Commercials you Love/Hate

Started by Tobina+1, October 14, 2009, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

So, in another life I'd like to be involved in either marketing research or doing marketing for companies.  It's interesting to me to see commercials and wonder "what the heck?" or "wow, that was cool".  I get it from my dad.  We over-analyze every commerical that comes on when we watch TV together.

So, my question for you is... what TV commercials do you either LOVE or HATE?

I can't think of any I LOVE right now, but usually beer commercials are pretty creative, especially the Budweiser ones.

The two that really annoy me are:
1)  The Geico commercials with the money stack with eyes.
2)  The new Pistachio commercials

sixdogsmom

I love the Aflack duck, hate Sham-wow!  :P
Edie

larryJ

Geico is bad.  Calvin Klein is freaky.  Local Cal Worthington Ford dealer has been making late night commercials for TV before there was TV (he should be dead by now, but NO). 

Likes---------Budweiser, aflack, anything with a silly punch line because that is what gets my attention.  I will probably think of more, but I am having a senior moment right now.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

flintauqua

The key point of advertising is to get you to remember the products name.  I've seen some very excellently made commercials, well written, well acted, well shot.  But ask me a minute later what the product was and I wouldn't have a clue.  That would make it a horrible commercial because it did not work. 

On, the other hand, some very stupid, low budget, annoying commercials have been made that are extremely successful because they are so dumb or annoying that you remember them, and remember what the product is.

I remember once, K-State was playing in the Weiser Lock Copper Bowl.  Other bowls that have a corporate sponsor usually make a series of at least three or four commercials to run during the game.  Not Weiser, they had one fairly plain, cheaply made 30 second commercial and ran it at least a dozen times.  Everytime it came on I was like 'gawd, not again'.  But it worked, I remember it to this day.

jprxmkt

I can't stand that Conklin Cars guy. He's tall, thin and grey headed.  He has the most corny jokes. I would not buy from there just in case I'd run in to him while signing the papers! ::)

Diane Amberg

I like the GE commercials with the Wright Brothers, etc. Any Budweiser with the Clydesdales, all the low key Corona Beer commercials

Tobina+1

Yeah, I hate all the local car dealership commercials with the yelling guys and the wacko-dressed chickens, sheep, whatever.  The Conklin guy seems to have taken the opposite stance; he is pretty corney and odd.  It's his eyes, Julie... those beady bug eyes!  :o 

This seems odd, but one commerical I like is the KWCH News commericials.  "Expect... news.   Expect...weather  Expect...more" etc.  Not sure if it's how it's put together or the music or what.  The weather one that shows all the old clips from big tornadoes over the last 10-15 years is good, too.  Kinda interesting how most of the news people haven't changed over that time, too!

pamsback

I like the freecreditreport.com commercials, specially the renaissance faire one and the geo one  ;D, I liked the budweiser here's to you mr. whatever ones too they were pretty funny.

I absolutely hate the smilin bob commercials if you know which ones I mean :P

frawin

I think Sonic has some great commercials!  Wonder where they find some of those people?
Myrna

Tobina+1

Oh Pam, you're kidding?  The freecreditreport.com commercials are BAD!  Now that song is in my head!  Actually, the two you're talking about are OK, but the last one I saw was really bad.  It was a new one and wasn't as catchy.

Smilin Bob is funny, just b/c of the thought behind it.   :-X  All of "those" commercials are just as bad, though.  There's one about some natural men's pills or ointment, too, and those are kind of skanky.

Myrna, I agree!  The funniest ones were the original husband and wife.  The new ones they have now (wife has red hair) aren't quite as good.  The two original guys are always a hoot, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk