IS THERE ANYTHING MADE IN AMERICA????????????????????????????????

Started by frawin, October 02, 2009, 03:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: jarhead on October 06, 2009, 07:32:33 AM
Steve, You should get in contact with Rex Morse from Elk City. He cuts his own logs, has a saw mill and a kiln and uses local wood to make  cabinets. I sure don't know much about that kind of stuff but he did tell me you can only take a certain amount of moisture out of the wood,in the kiln, every day, or you screw it up. I know it takes several weeks in the kiln to cure the wood right---unlike the warped, cracked crap you buy at a lumber yard,nowadays.
Kool I might talk to him about milling some lumber for me.  I want cedar for making porch swings.  I could get some and tote it over and have him mill it. 
I personally would prefer air dried wood for my projects but some woods like hedge won't dry hardly.  I would love to get a hold of hedge posts that have been in the ground for 100 years that would be some awesome wood for making things out of. Hard as a rock i know but it is beautiful and it would be dry.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

pepelect

Just start pull up the hedge posts around. :-X I won't tell.  I am sure no one will mind if you replace them with steel. ;D

pamsback

Lol hedge post will shoot sparks, And buy stock in the saw blade company :P Hottest fire in the world comes from cut up hedge posts!

srkruzich

Quote from: pamsback on October 06, 2009, 08:54:48 AM
Lol hedge post will shoot sparks, And buy stock in the saw blade company :P Hottest fire in the world comes from cut up hedge posts!
Well i bought saw blades that i can sharpen. Carbide tipped blades save money big time.  I guess i am going to have to figure in cost of blade into each project too. :|

Tobina+1

I thought there was another saw mill somewhere around Howard, too?  I think that is where Jim gets all his walnut cut and planed.  Also, if you're looking for some cedar to cut down, or even some dead hedge (or un-dead hedge), give me a call.  I can't give you permission for the whole ranch, but I can give you permission on the pastures right around the house and in the horse pen.
Another idea for getting trees that are already dead... contact some of the landowners who have the county pull out hedge rows along the county roads.  There is one pasture I was just noticing yesterday on my way home from Piedmont that has a bunch of dead trees piled up in it.  I think just south of where Sarah lives, maybe?

srkruzich

Quote from: Tobina+1 on October 06, 2009, 10:24:17 AM
I thought there was another saw mill somewhere around Howard, too?  I think that is where Jim gets all his walnut cut and planed.  Also, if you're looking for some cedar to cut down, or even some dead hedge (or un-dead hedge), give me a call.  I can't give you permission for the whole ranch, but I can give you permission on the pastures right around the house and in the horse pen.
Another idea for getting trees that are already dead... contact some of the landowners who have the county pull out hedge rows along the county roads.  There is one pasture I was just noticing yesterday on my way home from Piedmont that has a bunch of dead trees piled up in it.  I think just south of where Sarah lives, maybe?
well hedge isn't something that a mill will cut up except maybe one or two logs or something like that.  Its too hard on the blades.  But cedar is something that would work. Also hedge has one big problem with any good sized log, half of what i have found has wire and nails imbedded in it from where it grows around fences and that will kill any saw blade. Thats probably why its not milled too.

But i do cut hedge for my wood heater LOL.  It gives me the most heat i can get. Right now i am working on some dead piles and hopefully i can get them all cut up this year. 

But if anyone has any oak, elm, or black walnut that need to get rid of i would love to get those.  Black walnut i want for projects, but elm and oak for firewood :D

Tobina+1

Varmit

My dad and I run a TimberKing 1600 sawmill.  We have milled hedge and yes it is tough on the blades.  It helps to run over the logs with a metal detector for nails, wire, and such.  Also, if you don't mind waiting for it to dry, you can stack milled, green lumber so that it doesn't warp, crack, etc.  You should see some of the cedar we have.  We don't sell our wood but we have milled some for some folks.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

srkruzich

Quote from: Varmit on October 06, 2009, 07:06:06 PM
My dad and I run a TimberKing 1600 sawmill.  We have milled hedge and yes it is tough on the blades.  It helps to run over the logs with a metal detector for nails, wire, and such.  Also, if you don't mind waiting for it to dry, you can stack milled, green lumber so that it doesn't warp, crack, etc.  You should see some of the cedar we have.  We don't sell our wood but we have milled some for some folks.
i would love to have a decent mill so that i could get wood to do my hobby/projects. :(  i can get the wood, just no way to mill it.  YOu don't want to do the milling for half the wood do you???
:D

Varmit

Depends on the wood and the quanity.  Send me a list of what you got and what you can get and we'll see.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk