Convince Me

Started by sixdogsmom, September 29, 2009, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasadeay

you are correct....  :)  (And Severy residents vote in Severy)

Jane

Thank you okiemon we have been wondering the same thing.
Jane

pepelect

I am still waiting for the the VOTE NO! party to present their plan for sustaining the three school model.  If you can come up with a viable plan I would listen. 

A negative campaign is not a solution.  I agree that more information needs to be reviewed but there still has to be a plan to go forward even with a defeated bond issue. 

If you still need more information on the proposed bond issue the Moline Chamber will meet next week. I think they meet on Monday.  I am not sure of the time.   The Public Information Committee has been asked to attend.   I can't make it that night but well informed members will be present. 

jprxmkt

Meeting 7pm Monday night, Moline Swinging Bridge.

lola330

Listen, we don't all agree.  Nothing new about that!  But all of you for and against had better get all the facts before you vote.  Also, a negative vote will not mean a victory for the "No" votes.   There will be a plan B, how many of you know what it is?  Have you asked the school board that question?  Things will not continue as they are, changes in our schools will take place regardless.  Know what the plan will be if the bond issue does not pass.

sixdogsmom

There is no plan 'B', as the board could not reach a concensus. This was from a school board member as of last Tuesday night at the Red Hat meeting. Having a new building does not assure that the state will not decide to combine this district with another in a few years. Here is my solution; The high school in Howard is the least cost effective to operate; we should close it and move those students to Severy and use the Moline gradeschool for the lower grades. This would alleviate the duplicate teacher situation and eliminate an expensive building.
Edie

lola330

Yes, you are right about the school board not reaching a consensus at the last meeting.  However, the holdouts are waiting to see what happens with the bond issue.   If the bond does not pass, the holdouts indicated a willingness to go to a Plan B, whatever that is.   Regardless, something will have to change whether it is a new school or closing a buillding, or some other way of going to one campus.

pepelect

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 16, 2009, 12:08:13 PM
There is no plan 'B', as the board could not reach a consensus. This was from a school board member as of last Tuesday night at the Red Hat meeting. Having a new building does not assure that the state will not decide to combine this district with another in a few years. Here is my solution; The high school in Howard is the least cost effective to operate; we should close it and move those students to Severy and use the Moline gradeschool for the lower grades. This would alleviate the duplicate teacher situation and eliminate an expensive building.
If you would come to a school board meeting you wouldn't have half the information that you dispel as the truth. 
5 out of 7 board members agreed that the future of West Elk surrounds one campus.  One campus means that all the facilities at one place.   

We have already alleviated the duplicate teacher situation.    We have current facility expenses that add up to more than half the cost of a new building.  It doesn't make sense to keep spending upkeep money on buildings designed 50 years before the current curriculum was even thought up.    We have tried one principal for two buildings at least 10 times in the last 30 years and it doesn't work.   The savings would be for the long term we can not keep two elementaries open with out in building administration. 

The high school in Howard is the least cost effective per square foot of the three buildings only because it is twice as big as the other two buildings.  It has heated and centrally air conditioned classrooms.  It offers programs that can not be duplicated on the existing campus of Moline and Severy with out a major influx of cash which means an increase in taxes.  You have the athletic facilities, vo ag, art, music, and the largest lunchroom all in one central location. 

sixdogsmom

Pep, what part of my post was not the 'truth'? The part that you disagree with? I labeled the part that I said was my own opinion as being my own opinion. The highschool building is not cost effective per square foot only because it is bigger? Huh? :o :o
Edie

Jane

I have a question. How have you already alleviated the duplicate teacher situation when the last I knew there were two classes for each grade at Moline and Severy so did some teachers lose their job when the changes were made last year?
Also has a poll been taken as who will stay an who will go if the bond passes?
Thank you
Janed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk