Convince Me

Started by sixdogsmom, September 29, 2009, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momof 2boys

I totally agree with you Tobina.  People look at our district because we are able to provide a wonderful education as well as other opportunites for kids.  Just last night at the Jr. High football game, there was a man who came to check out the district.  He was asking questions about the number of students, classes that were offered, sports, etc. because he was interested in bringing his children to our district from a neighboring district.

pepelect

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 01, 2009, 07:48:52 PM
Most of us old ladies will be dead in 15 years, pep, and who is going to buy a decrepit property in a town with no school with umpteen dollars of unpaid taxes against it? If this property goes off the rolls, then your taxes are gonna go up my friend. If I am not paying the amount that I currently afford, are you willing to pick up the slack when I can no longer afford to pay? And when the population in this district declines so much that keeping any schools open is no longer viable, are you willing then to pay for the now vacant school that most people did not want in the first place, but was purchased with a few cut-rate hot dogs and cute kids in t-shirts? We have seen many properties in all our local towns go off the tax rolls in recent years, some of which might still be on there had taxes not risen so steeply. It is a shame, that this district could have had the dream school and more had a few people not been lured by big money and big hats that allowed the prospect for a really great project for this county to evaporate. The county revenue from a wind farm might just have been able to purchase that dream school, and provided tax relief for old ladies besides.
I love it when the wisdom of elders overshadows the exuberance of youth.  My question to you decrepit property owner who is going to buy your property in a town with a school if taxes are due on it?  It is not the duty of the school system to pay your taxes.  It is quite the opposite.  It is the duty of the district to ensure that every child who lives in the district to be well educated efficiently with your tax money.  We don't need the revenue from the wind farm to finance the bond.  The hot dogs were a representation of the amount of money it will cost you to pay for the bond a day.  If your property is not over 50K in value you will not even pay that much.  Don't eat 30 hot dogs a month and you should be fine for at least 30 more years.

Rudy Taylor

Since I live in Caney, I will not state my opinion on the issue of closing certain schools. That's up to the those who pay the property taxes in USD 282.  What I DO want to address is the statement that current buildings in Severy and Moline will be "repurposed" if a centralized grade school is built at the Howard campus.

I encourage those planning this bond issue, and those campaigning for a YES vote to make the repurposing a top priority. All I must do is drive through Grenola, Elk City, Havana, Wayside, Elk Falls and other communities that closed their schools to see that nobody gives a hoot about the properties once the school activity moves elsewhere. It MUST be in the original planning if those buildings are going to productive, public places.

Another thing about old schools.  Once they are sold to a private individual, they go on the tax rolls at quite high valuations, yet they really don't have value at all.  It's an oddity in the way state laws are set up. Several years ago, Bill Kurtis and I put together a Community Journalism School to be located in Coffeyville and the City agreed to deed over a beautiful old Carnegie Library for that purpose. It had set vacant for years and had absolutely no value. But when we checked into the potential taxes that we would start paying on it, we backed away from the project altogether.

What I'm saying is: Plan ahead. Make sure the existing buildings are included in the school's future, or a specific community's future. Make sure they will be owned by a 501-C(3) non-profit corporation, or by a church, school district or city. And most of all, put together the plan and the funding to assure that the buildings will truly be repurposed. Otherwise they will look like Elk City High School in future years.

All of it CAN work together for a good plan that will be good for all the local communities. I'm confident of that.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

greatguns

sixdogsmom

Thanks for your input Rudy. It is my understanding that at the RED Hats meeting a couple of weeks ago, the superintendant was asked this same question. He said that the building would be put up for sale; that it could not be sold to a private school, as that would be in direct competition with the local school district. That is the extent of the 'plan' for the unused school. IMHO, that means Moline would be stuck with an eyesore just like that in many other communities. This is totally unacceptable, and the tax payers deserve better.
Edie

momof 2boys

I am a member of the information committee for the bond issue.  I have been involved in several discussions regarding the future of the empty elementary buildings.  I know that the West Elk school board is also concerned and willing to do all that they possibly can regarding the future use of these buildings.  They do not want to see them stand empty and useless.  

We have board members from Moline and Severy, and just like many others, they hate to see their community have to close a school building.  However, the writing is on the wall regarding funds.  Our district can no longer function as it has in the past, and still provide a curriculum that keeps our students competitive.   With the state cutting school budgets, monies that were once used to run three facilities need to be reinvested in the curriculum.  

I know someone will state that I am talking as if this bond is going to pass and the buildings will be closed.  Well, even if the bond doesn't pass, drastic measures will have to be made and our board will have to make a difficult decision regarding closing one of the elementary buildings.  Then monies will have to be invested on extensive maitenance at what ever facility is kept open.  And the maitenance will be ongoing because both elementaries are quite old and need extensive overhauls.  

Please whatever decision you make as a voter, make an informed decision.  Find the facts, talk to board members, ask questions.  Our children are worth it!  

momof 2boys

Sixdogsmom, I have spoken with board members and they are willing to work with the communities regarding the school buildings. 
I think it would be great if one of the buildings were turned into a type of community building.  A place offering a health and wellness center.  The gymnasium would be a great place for walking clubs.  A classroom could be used for work out equipment.  Classes could be offered from various people in the community. Classes could include computers, aerobics, quilting, sewing, cooking, woodworking, scrapbooking, etc.  We have so many talented people in our county that have a lot to offer.  I for one would love to learn to quilt, and yes I need some help in the kitchen.  I get so tired of cooking the same things over and over. 

momof 2boys

Watch out everyone, I just had another idea.  People in the county could also bring their homemade goods once a month to a type of open market in the community buildings.  That would be so great to go buy hometown honey from srkruzich, or Chuck and Tobina's leather goods, or the many other things that people in our area create.

sixdogsmom

We already have a community building. Thank you. We also have a shrinking population, one that is also aging. An empty white elephant isn't going to help this community in any way. We have a new library, and a city office. We also have a new fire station. I don't need to learn to quilt, nor do I need to learn to paint or speak Chinese. I think it irresponsible in this day and age for any government body to saddle a community with the responsibility of a building, told what cannot be done with it, and expected to pay for the changes. Our walking clubs are on the street my dear, we are not cityfied enough to need an indoor track, as the last time I looked our streets are safe to use and the air is clean to breath. And it's free! I shudder to think of the cost of liability insurance for such an endeavor as you envision. If all this is so wonderful why hasn't it been done in Howard, home of the infamous pigeon roost?
Edie

momof 2boys

I was only 5 years old when they closed it.  All I wanted to learn then was how to read.  LOL!!!  I am just throwing out ideas sixdogsmom.

I understand you are very compassionate about the cost of this both financially and emotionally for the community you live in.  I don't blame you at all for feeling that way.  I have taught in the Moline building for 12 years.  My husband went to grade school there.  My children have gone to grade school there.  It's personal for me also.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk