Where Are the Wooly Worms?

Started by Wilma, September 27, 2009, 10:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Have you seen any?  We found one last weekend while cleaning the garage.  He was almost naked.  What kind of a winter would that indicate?

Jo McDonald

He was probably laid off from his job, and he has no clothes to wear.  Poor thing.   :D :D :D :D :D :D

(Sorry Wilma, that is just the mood that I am in today.)
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Jane

Don't know about the Wooly Worms???? but we have had grubs and slugs on the back slab, not sure what that means???????
Jane

mayflower

I have seen1 wooly worm, and he was all black.  I think the "old wives" would say that it is going to be a bad winter.  Also, I have never seen the squirrels working so hard to get all the acorns and walnuts put up.  My "old hubby" said that also means a bad winter.  Hope all the worms and squirrels are wrong!

greatguns

I've seen several wooly worms lately and they have all been fully clothed in black.

indygal

I've seen one, and it was dark brown-black. Lots of butterflies and mantises. You're right, mayflower. Lots of busy squirrels. They're probably just as bewildered by the cool temps (mid-70s for highs) so early in the season as we are. Today's 90s will be tomorrow's 70s again. I just hope today wasn't the only Indian summer we're going to see.

Wilma

There seems to be a shortage of nuts, too.  My oak trees don't have any acorns that I can see.  They are usually falling by this time.  This might be a hard winter for the small animals.

Jo McDonald

I still have 2 hummingbirds...of course I still have lots of flowers in my hanging baskets.  I do hope the little things don't stay around too long.
  The squirrels are so busy laying away their winter supply of food, and I can't remember hearing so much "chatter" as I have this past week.
This afternoon we were sitting on the patio and there were at least 100 or more birds that came swooping in and landed on the utility wires south of the house.  What a flurry they made.  We did not know what kind they were, I wish we were more "bird knowledgeable" than what we are.  But it seems that all of God's little creatures are preparing for the coming months.
  We probably should be taking note of that.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Wilma

OK, Jo, tomorrow let's go out and scurry around collecting nuts for winter use.  But since I haven't seen any yet this fall it might be pretty slim pickings.  The squirrels around here are carrying things but I can't see what or where they are getting it.

sixdogsmom

Wilma, do you promise to post pictures?  :D
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk