Schools in D.C.

Started by redcliffsw, September 17, 2009, 04:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

Yes, Diane, I was challenged in math, chem., and no it wasn't easy for me, Yes I tried to blame it on the teacher, Yes, my parents saw to it that I was given extra work and tutoring.  When it came to school my parents accepted no excuses.  Granted the highest math grade I got was a B, to them that was alright because they knew how much I struggled in that subject.  History, Lit,. however were different stories.  Anything less than an A was unacceptable. 

Sorry, but I don't buy the generational ignorance theory.  It is not a matter of "I don't help my kids, because no one helped me."  It is more of an "I shouldn't have to earn anything, it should be given to me" attitude. 

Anmar, as for the "condition" of a country...overall, its standing in the world.  For example, I don't see singapore as a major superpower, I don't see Americans flocking to japan.  I don't see the American standard of living or its equal anywhere else.   
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Anmar

Billy, you still have yet to make it clear what your measurements are.  By major super power, do you mean militarily?  The USSR was a major super power in that sense.  They ignored their economy, entered and unwinnable war in Afghanistan and look at them now.

I would argue that the quality of life index may be the most complete measure.  The USA ranks 13th on that particular index.  There is no doubt that we rank at the top in terms of military might and maybe the largest stock market, but thats about it.  In terms of health, we are in the 35-45 range.  GDP per capita is like 10th. 

We're not living in the good 'ol days anymore.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Varmit

I am talking about overall condition.  I don't see any other nation or country being refered to as "the greatest Nation on the Planet".  Yes, we have our problems, but when the world looks for examples of freedom, personal liberty, democracy, and how a country should be they don't turn towards singapore, japan, england, or france.  They look to the U.S.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

Varmit, It sounds like you earned your B in math because it was indeed a representative grade for you. Good for you and good for your parents for keeping on you to learn up to your potential..

Anmar

Quote from: Varmit on September 19, 2009, 06:16:25 AM
I am talking about overall condition.  I don't see any other nation or country being refered to as "the greatest Nation on the Planet".  Yes, we have our problems, but when the world looks for examples of freedom, personal liberty, democracy, and how a country should be they don't turn towards singapore, japan, england, or france.  They look to the U.S.

Thats not really true.  Here in the US, we think so, but over in Germany, they think they are the greatest country in the world.  Same goes for russian, norway, china, sweden, israel, turkey, Qatar, etc etc.  Just about every western european nation says that.  Doesn't make it true.

In terms of freedom, personal liberties, and democracy, there are several countries that are ahead of the US.

Varmit

Whatever dude.  Simple fact is that russia, china, germany, and any other country can THINK their the greatest country, whereas America IS the greatest.  Honestly, why is it that anytime a country is in trouble they call on the U.S.? 

Think what  you want to about the U.S.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion (in this country, anyway). 

Anmar

Quote from: Varmit on September 20, 2009, 09:09:06 PM
Whatever dude.  Simple fact is that russia, china, germany, and any other country can THINK their the greatest country, whereas America IS the greatest.  Honestly, why is it that anytime a country is in trouble they call on the U.S.? 

Think what  you want to about the U.S.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion (in this country, anyway). 

The last time a european country called in the US and the US answered was WW2. 

Sure, some people can through in that Yugoslavia thing.  But really, do you want to use that? i mean, you all jumped on Clinton for going there, right?  Then there was our ally Georgia, they called on the US for help and suddenly Georgia found out just how much there alliances really meant and how strong the backing of the USA was.  What did they get, a UN resolution?

Look, i've said it several times, give me a real concrete measurable statistic and we can talk about which country is the best at what.  Sitting around making general assumptions only diminishes the credibility of the discussion.

Tobina+1

Whoa, back to the original subject, please.  (Which is NOT if/why the US is better than any other country.)

Unfortunately, I think that society today has dropped the standards for education.  Blame it on "no child left behind".  Blame it on technology.  Blame it on the fact that most kids have 2 working parents... or just 1 parent who must work 2 jobs to support them.  Or, maybe, blame it on the fact that we actually have the means and way to MEASURE a child's education and actually COMPARE it to a "national standard".  That wasn't the case 50 years ago. 

Also, when comparing US education to other countries' education system, there's a lot of differences.  In Japan, children start going to school (real school, not just pre-school) at a very early age.  Parents send their children off to school somewhere... and are usually year-round schools.  They don't teach PE or sociology... they teach MATH.  HARD MATH.  ADVANCED MATH.  To very young children.  And those children probably don't have a lot of real-world education.  (Which is why the U.S. foreign-exchange program is so big with Japan.)

Sorry, don't mean to bring up this dead horse again, but education is also an "it takes a village" mindset... or should be.  Teachers aren't the only ones responsible for teaching kids.  Parents need to be involved in the education process... and not just taking treats.  They should sit and listen to their kids at night with their homework.  Let kids read to them (even if it's one...painful...word...at..a..time).  Grandparents should encourage kids to read to them and ask them about school.  Friends of the family, people you see on the street... should ask kids about school and be encouraging to them.  Parents should be involved enough to know when/if their kids are being challenged enough.  More often than not, kids that were diagnosed as "ADD" or "ADHD" were really just not challenged enough at school!  No one took the time to really realize how smart the kid was and that their learning curve was so much higher than the curriculum the teacher was teaching that they just became restless and disinterested.  Once someone gave them the one-on-one attention and truly challenged their minds, "whoa, this kid is really smart!". 

I'm also afraid that it really boils down to the teachers.  Under-paid, under-appreciated, under-respected.  We don't trust our own education system to teach teachers how to teach properly, so we make them adhere to certain "standards" and "programs" and not let them actually EDUCATE on their own!  We rely on tests to see how the teacher is performing, rather than trusting the teacher knows their class and children enough to adjust teaching methods based on the level that group of children are at.  Why have teachers at all?  Why not just put kids in front of a TV or computer and make them learn everything on that (hypothetical question)?  If we're not going to have a customized curriculum based on the level of the students within the class, then why have customized teachers?

Anyway, there's my 2 cents worth to try and get this topic back on track.

Warph

Kudo's, Tobina.... glad to see we are back on track of the subject.  I was amazed that only one in four Oklahoma public high school students can name the first President of the United States.  And then we have this.  A school on Long Island has been renamed Barack Obama Elementary School in "Honor of his historic rise to the presidency."  The move at the "largely black and Hispanic school in Hempstead" is among the first in what will likely be a wave of name changes around the world now that Obama has been elected president, from schools and streets to parks and mountaintops and no telling what else.  Elsewhere on Long Island, the Clear Stream Avenue School in Valley Stream says it will consider a renaming resolution in December.

And parents already have been naming newborns Barack.  Nothing like a newborn with the name Barack Sean O'Grady. 

But ol' Bob seems to be a little upset about all of this:  

List of places named after Barack Obama - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Schools

Kenya

Senator Obama Primary School and Senator Obama Secondary School, both in Nyang'oma Kogelo, birthplace of President Obama's father.[citation needed]

United States

California

Barack Obama Charter School — Compton, California — Qued Charter Elementary School renamed after Barack Obama in January 2009[1]
Barack Obama Academy - Oakland, California - Alternative Learning Community renamed after Barack Obama in March 2009[2]

Minnesota
Barack and Michelle Obama Service Learning Elementary * Saint Paul, Minnesota

New York
Barack Obama Elementary School — Hempstead, New York — Ludlum Elementary School renamed to Barack Obama Elementary School.[3]
New Jersey
Barack Obama Academy - Plainfield, New Jersey - Plainfield Academy for Academic & Civic Development renamed to Barack Obama Academy. [4]

Streets
United States

Florida

Barack Obama Avenue — Opa-locka, Florida — City commission approved the renaming of Perviz Avenue effective Presidents' Day, February 2009.[5][6]

Topographical Features
Antigua and Barbuda

Mount Obama in Antigua and Barbuda — renamed from Boggy Peak on August 4th, 2009, (Obama's birthday) in honor of his accomplishments.[7]

Proposed namings

Pembroke Park Road — Hollywood, Florida — portion of (or all of) road proposed to be renamed Barack Obama Boulevard[8]

Delmar Boulevard — St. Louis, Missouri — proposed to be renamed Barack Obama Boulevard[9]

Street currently named after José Antonio Primo de Rivera proposed to be renamed Calle Barack Obama, in Náquera, in the Spanish province of Valencia.[10]

Warph's  "Obama's Soul Food & Pig-Pick'n Emporium"  ---  new restaurant to be located on the cornor streets currently named Bush Blvd. and Cheney Ave. which are proposed to be renamed Hugo Chavez Blvd. and Ahmadinejad Ave. -- Surprise, AZ

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Tobina+1

Changing street names for the current President.  Hmm.  Well, in 3-1/2 years they'll have to change them again... to Warph Ave, Warph Park, Warph School for the Politically challenged...  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk