Bad gravel

Started by Delbert, September 15, 2009, 10:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbert

The gravel that has recently been put on road 8 north of Angus and road 10 north of the county line in my opinion is the worst ever.  The big rocks are very sharp and you have to drive very slow on them.  Tonight I was going 10 mpn and that was too fast.  I don't pay taxes to Elk county but surely others  that do have the same feelings about this matter.  I have chained my route several times to stay off of it.  It must have been a cheap price. 

Varmit

You are not alone in thinking that.  Alot of folks don't like it.  Problem is that the quarry ran out of what is usually used as roadcover.  They just started making more, but don't want it used yet.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Tobina+1

I was noticing that, too.  Luckily, it's been used sparingly around here.  One spot that was troublesome was the intersection in town of Washington and Limestone.  Every other place I've seen they've been on less-used roads in problem areas, which may be better anyway.  The small stuff usually gets kicked off quickly or sunk into the mud.  This heavier stuff has seemed to stay in place (although rough).

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, they have put some on Killdeer by Bellars.  It isn't that good.  But the bumps are covered up, so not sure which is better.  Just glad they are trying to fix the roads!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

peanut

Well that bad gravel that they are using will eventualy be a good base for the smaller less sharp gravel they normaly use. be patient good things take time.
"Talk Low, Talk Slow And Dont Talk Too Much."
                  ( John Wayne )

Tobina+1

Good to know, and good idea.  With all the rain lately, the sharp stuff has been nicely packed into the dirt.  You're right; it's setting up for a nice base.  There are still some holes that didn't get filled in, though; will someone go out and scoop more rock into those holes or will they be graded out before the nice gravel is hauled on?  Just curious how that works.  I heard from someone that you're actually supposed to completely grade out the holes down to the bottom of the hole and then fill back in to make them go away for good.  Is that true?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk