Kellogg Freeway

Started by W. Gray, September 13, 2009, 05:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Whose keeping track of the Kellogg freeway project in Wichita?

Is the freeway finished going east under Rock Road?

If so, how far towards the K-96 bridge does it go?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

There are still traffic lights at Webb and Greenwich and at the entrances to the Wal-Mart and Lowes shopping area east of Greenwich.  We never go further west on Kellogg than Greenwich so I don't know about Rock Road.  The flyover will never be without traffic lights of some kind.

flintauqua

QuoteThe Freeways component of the capital plan includes funding to complete Kellogg at
Rock, and design and right-of-way acquisition for future segments. Interchanges from
Webb east to 143rd Street East are included, as are interchanges at 119th, 135th and
151st Streets West. However, with the increase in construction costs, it is unlikely that
the Kellogg projects will be completed within the 10-year CIP timeframe.

From the Wichita Capital Improvement Plan 2007-2016, available at:

http://www.wichita.gov/NR/rdonlyres/E26F03C7-97E4-42EA-8693-00D935C3C459/0/ADOPTEDWorkbook.pdf

The recommended alternatives have Kellogg going under Webb and then over Greenwich, Zelta (Lowes entrance), 143rd and 159th.  The entrance/exit to/from the turnpike appears to still have two or three alternatives.

http://www.wichita.gov/CityOffices/PublicWorks/Engineering/KelloggProject.htm

patyrn

I just read on the Wichita Eagle website this weekend that an eastbound Kellogg bridge that spans Hydraulic and channels traffic to I-135 will soon be torn down.  The project started in May of 2009.  The concrete used by construction crews to rebuild the bridge failed strength tests.  It will be torn down and replaced by the contractor at no cost to taxpayers.  Not good..............

Mom70x7

QuoteWhose keeping track of the Kellogg freeway project in Wichita?
Not really keeping track, just go to the VA and library frequently. So . . .

QuoteIs the freeway finished going east under Rock Road?
no - not yet finished, but you can see substantial progress. The Rock Road / Kellogg interchange is nearly finished; Kellogg on either side isn't. People are driving on the completed frontage roads while the crews continue to work on Kellogg. We actually get on the completed portion just past Rusty Eck Ford, about the same time the frontage roads exit to the VA.

QuoteIf so, how far towards the K-96 bridge does it go?
No work at all towards the K-96 bridge yet. It's all "old-Kellogg" until the I-35 underpass, just in front of the Joe Self dealership and where the old K-Mart and Michaels stores used to be. There's a stop-light there and that's where vehicles transition to the frontage roads.

Tobina+1

It looks like the portion starting at the I-35 overpass to the Towne East Mall (is that maybe a 1-mile stretch) should be finished soon.  At least the main highway part; they will probably have to re-work the frontage roads a little since all the traffic has been driving on it so long.

The Kellogg highway system reminds me of most places in Texas... all the frontage roads are 1-way on either side of the highway, so if your destination is on a frontage road and you don't know where exactly, you have to go past it, exit at the next exit, flip around over/under the highway, and go back on the opposite side of the frontage road.  And if your destination is between 2 exits, then flip around again and drive on the OTHER side of the frontage road until you arrive.  Essentially, making a 360 degree full-circle to arrive.

W. Gray

Thanks,

I saw something recently that said they going clear to the Butler County line with the Kellogg freeway.

I lived in Mulvane from 1975 through 1980 and at that time Wichita (and us drivers) was bemoaning the fact that something had to be done with Kellogg.

It has now been a long time since they started the Kellogg project and from time to time I like to dispense with taking K-96 around the east side of town and go on to Kellogg and head east to see what they have accomplished. It drives my wife nuts since it takes quite a bit more time with all the construction.

I also recall they took quite a few houses and businesses to get the project going.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

debid

I moved from Wichita to Emporia 21 years ago and they have been working on the Kellogg project that whole, entire time. 

Wilma

I started working in downtown Wichita in 1979 and that part of Kellogg was in place then.  That would be, just hold on, I'll get there, 30 years ago.

greatguns

It still amazed at the money spent for a flyover in Wichita on Kellogg and all the lights going up on 54 between Wichita and Augusta.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk