What's Black & White and Red All Over?

Started by Warph, September 05, 2009, 02:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pamsback

Quote from: larryJ on September 11, 2009, 07:32:21 AM
I, too, had to take psychology in college and I really liked the course.  I wasn't very thrilled with the instructor, but most of the course was just reading and I liked that.  Unfortunately, the class was too much for the instructor and he committed suicide.  So instead of me dropping the class, the class dropped me.  It was a small college and they had noone else to teach the class.  But I still like psychology.

Larryj

I'm with you Larry, psychology was one of my favorite classes even tho I had to take it when I was majorin in Art and Animal Science the first time I went to college. I've always enjoyed tryin to figure out what makes people tick so it really caught my attention for more than 10 seconds Lol. I hated the teacher but loved the class :P

Tobina+1

Varmit; that's an interesting story.  I don't know how old you are, but I've always wondered if the military was less respected at universities and colleges "back then".  At the Univ I attended, we'd often see ROTC running through campus, doing their drills in the middle of campus, etc.  I always had a high respect for military, and I always thought my college instructors did, too (again, may have been the "right" side of the campus). 
You all refreshed my memory... I did also have to take psychology and sociology, but I don't remember much about them.  I did enjoy the subjects, but I don't remember feeling out of place or any "left-ist" curriculum.  Again, probably stems from the college I attended... or the fact that I wasn't in tune to that sort of stuff.  I was probably just looking forward to my meat science lab or livestock reproduction class! 

flintauqua

Quote from: Tobina+1 on September 11, 2009, 09:56:34 AM
may have been the "right" side of the campus. 
probably stems from the college I attended...  

Tobina,

I attended the same university as you did, and possibly at the same time since I had more than one go at it.  I was also an Ag major (Ag-business), but also took a lot of poli-sci, and a lot of non-ag applied science.  Even in the poli-sci department, I never once came across a professor with 'an agenda'.  If anything, they leaned to the right, not left.

My theory on this is that we attended a land-grant institution, one that is deeply rooted in research and extension in applied sciences like agriculture, engineering, etc.  IMHO the universities that get labled as liberal or leftist (west of the Appalachian Mountians) are the non-land grant institution in states that have a dominate two (or three) universty system.  For example:  UC Berkely vs. UC Davis or Cal-Poly, UT vs. TAMU or TTech, U of COL (Boulder) vs COL St.

My two-cents worth.

Charles

P.S. I didn't say all non-land grant universities deserved the label!

Diane Amberg

I had Basic Psychology, Abnormal Psych., Child Psych, Human Geography, and Sociology. I was very lucky to have had good moderate professors who were very approachable and encouraged questions.and discussion.( They were the ones who taught me how to debate correctly.) The only poor one was "Whispering Willie" Reed ( European History 101 ) who was about 80 years old, used the same 30 year old notes and the same old slides year after year. We were in a huge auditorium classroom and he wouldn't use a mike. But by taking notes from the slides and reading the book and doing well on the term paper, hourlies, and studying old tests from the frats test files, I got an A. Boring, but necessary.  The ROTC guys were always treated well, even by the SDS who protested the Govt. not the students. They knew the students had no choice. I loved watching the Pershing Rifles practice.They were really good! There were two extremist teachers on campus who were the SDS advisers, who were given a lot of latitude for awhile, but eventually were fired. UD is a land grant school too, and with a lot of research and a really big deal Chemical Engineering and Marine Biology School.

Varmit

Quote from: Tobina+1 on September 11, 2009, 09:56:34 AM
Varmit; that's an interesting story.  I don't know how old you are, but I've always wondered if the military was less respected at universities and colleges "back then". 

ROFLMBO  ;D ;D  Yeah, Tobina I went to school waaaay back in, oh, lets see now, must've been in 04.  Thats 2004.  I saw very little respect given to the military, at least on the Artsy-Fartsy side of campus.  I remember a couple of Army recruiters came and set up a table in one of the common areas, the comments they recieved not only from the teachers but from the students blew my mind.  I won't repeat them here, but lets just say they were less than kind.  I would have expected that kind of behavior on the campus of Berekly, or UCLA, or NYU, but not at a Community college in Arkansas City, Kansas.  I only had a few classes on that side of campus, and dreaded going over there.  I was a criminal justice major, most of my classes were in the same building. 

As a side note, I liked the subject matter of Psychology, but completely loathed the instructor.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Diane Amberg

What about the instructor didn't you care for?

Tobina+1

OOPS, sorry Varmit.  I apparently have no idea who you are.   ::)

Anyway, that is strange that even a community college in such a small town treated military like that.  But, then again, 2004 was when people were getting upset about the new "war".  I just thought that people had learned that it's not the military people who's fault it was... they were just following orders from who they were trained to take orders from.  It saddens me to think about how the military people were treated when they came back from Vietnam, and I hope that never happens again.  I really had no idea until I met my father-in-law who served in Vietnam and heard stories from my mother-in-law and husband. 

larryJ

Along with taking the required psychology and other classes, ROTC was also mandatory for all Freshmen and Sophomores at Colorado State College (now the University of Northern Colorado).  I don't recall any bad feelings against those who were in ROTC probably because all male students were required to take it.  As the ROTC classes were held in another part of town which required a 15 minute walk, and only having ten minutes between classes, the instructor in your class before ROTC would allow you to leave a little early in order to make it on time.  ROTC students were required to wear uniforms so on those days, you had to wear your uniform to school.  This was just before Vietnam really got going so there were no feelings about that war at that time.
ROTC was basically learning how to march and drill and classes on military etiquette.  I found it boring and was there only because I had to be.  Who knew three years later I would be in the Army, not by choice, and kinda/sorta remembered how to march and drill.  Being in the marching band all of my school years from the seventh grade on really helped me out when marching. Continuing on in ROTC in your Junior and Senior years almost guaranteed you an Officer's position in the Army after graduation, much like attending a service academy, tho not as intense.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk