What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarhead

Murphy was in the pub with his wife last night.

He said, "I love you."

She said, "Is that you or the beer talking?"

He said;  " It is me, and I am talking to the beer!"

Miss Bonnie,
Maybe you should keep Bob out of the pubs for fear he will start talking to his beer. :) You take care of Farmer Joe's favorite cousin on the trip and we will see you in May
Ron

Judy Harder

Have a good and safe trip. I do so envy you. Out of all the countries in the world I think this is the one I would love to visit.
I just know you will have pictures and memories and OH, I wish I were going with you....Bet you all will have sore throats from all the talking and laughing you will be doing.
God go with you!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Bonnie, we took some friends to eat catfish one night last week, and your name came up!  Have fun in Ireland, but we hope to see you and eat catfish with you in May!  Have a safe trip!

Frank & Myrna

Diane Amberg

Bonnie have a wonderful safe trip and enjoy all 40 shades of green. Ireland is still on my wish list too. Bring back lots of stories to share please!

jarhead

MsBear,
Found another mercury dime yesterday. I'm afraid before you & Roma Jean get here to dig there won't be anything left. Went to an old homestead today and found a brass knob off a horse Hayne (sp) (harness ) and a tapered copper rod about a foot long. It's a late 1800's lightning rod . Then on to another old homestead for a short hunt. a brass army button, in very good shape. The company , Sigmund Eisner--Red Bank , was in business from 1859-1925 and made lots of uniforms and buttons for WW-I. Now to go back and find the buried  bayonet !! I could find lots more junk----I mean relics, if I could talk ol Sarge into doing the research to find out what my treasures are. All he does is sit on his dead butt all day anyway.

Diane Amberg

Harness hames? sounds like you are having a lot of fun with that thing.

jarhead

I have a mission for Waldo or Frank or whoever. Detecting today I found a brass token, about the size of a half dollar. On the front it says," F.L. Barbour---General Merchandise---Longton, Kans" On the reverse it says," good for--50-- in merchandise". Cemetery records show three Barbours buried in Longton  in 1902,1910 and 1917 but none by those initials. I can't find a single thing about this merchandising business. In 1885 a C. Barbour owned quite a bit of land just west of town and I presume this might have been Charles Barbour who died in 1902. Twenty plus years ago I was loafing (imagine that) at the mini mart. An out of state woman was asking about an old house about 1/4 mile north of the mini mart, where her ancestors , Barbour's, had once lived (or so she believed ).I told her then I thought that name was on a metal plate on a bridge just south of Carl Coonrod's ranch and had her address and wrote her what I'd found. That bridge tells who the county commissioners were when the bridge was built in 1912 and it says the County Clerk was E.L Barbour. So Waldo, were F.L. and E. L. Barbour related and when did F.L. have his business in Longton ? As I have never thrown a single thing away in my life , I'm sure I still have that ladies name and address if I can just find it.:)

evanstrail

Jarhead,

Try:  http://www.okgenweb.org/~okahgp/f_57.htm    

Fourth entry is Edgar Loy Barbour - born 1875 Longton, died 1965 Woodward, OK.  Son of Charles and Margaret (Loy) Barbour.  Married Ethel Grace Rodman One daughter, Anona, married William John Adams.

Underlined names on page are links.

Hope that helps some.

Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier and goofed up!

frawin

Ron, I find cenus records in Elk County for Edgar L. Barbour but none for an F.L. Barbour. I will search some more.
Frank

jarhead

Thanks evanstrail & Frank. Looking at the token again , under better magnification it looks like the "F" might have a slight "Tail". I wonder if it isn't an "E" but just not struck very good. I think the lady that was checking on her "roots" was from Ok.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk