What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Be sure to teach her books! A great precursor to all the rummy games, and one a very young player can grasp. I remember my grandma playing with me, and if I got out of hand, she would thump me with her thimble. She kept this in her apron pocket for all emergencies!  :D :D
Edie

larryJ

She likes books and we have always read to her and now show her the words and tell her how to spell them and pronounce them.  Just this last summer, I let her get on the desktop computer and play interactive games, just to get her accustomed to how to use a mouse and do simple commands. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

sixdogsmom

LOL! Larry, I meant the card game Books!  :D
Edie

Wilma

Maybe he doesn't know about the card game.  I don't remember playing it.  We had the children's card games, Old Maid, Authors and we were allowed to play solitaire, but not poker or anything that looked like gambling.  Needless to say, I did learn to play Poker and Pitch after I was married, but that was about all.  I prefer Scrabble, which I do on the computer, a good friend having sent me a site.  I have never played the real Scrabble, but would like to try some time.  Books, the ones you read are still my favorite.

larryJ

Nope, never heard of the game, Books.  It was early when I read your post and hadn't had my second cup yet.  Having never heard of the game, Books, I just thought you meant teaching how to read books.  However, I will look it up and see how to play.  Maybe it is something she will like. 

Larryj

Jo McDonald

Both of our girls liked gin rummy and Sherri was a WHIZ at concentration when she was only 3 years old.  We could not beat that child at that game, no matter how hard we tried, and we DID TRY.  I taught the grand kids gin and progressive rummy and had to use all my wits to keep ahead of them. Mama taught us blind pitch -- that is a fun game for little ones, but is a little more complicated than the ones like Old Maid - Crazy Eight - Rummy   slap Jack.

You sound like a Super-Duper Grandpa, Larry!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

larryJ

Ah Shucks :-[ ;D

Nah, my grandfathers were both gone by the time I reached 4.  There were my brothers, both way older than me and gone off to the military or college or marriage by the time I was 12.  I decided that my children would have whatever I could give them and when my daughter blessed us with our first grandchild, my wife and I devoted ourselves to her just like we did with our kids.  And now, we have the second one.  The other grandmother gets her on a daily basis as we can't really keep up with her, so we only see her on weekends or when they come to pick up the other one.  Being retired I have always taken care of the oldest one two or three days a week. 

I give it my best just like any other grandparent on this forum.  Must be the Kansas connection.  My Grandmother Andrews was a great person in my life even though I only got to see her in the summers.  What she taught me------------oh, that's on another thread somewhere!

Larryj

greatguns

Oh yes. we played Books alot when I was little.

sixdogsmom

Thank goodness GG, I was beginning to doubt my memory! If I remember correctly Books is played like Authors, only you use the numbers instead of pictures? Wow! I used to love slapjack except when it was my turn to deal. My older sister really had a 'slap', and she didn't care if it was aimed on the Jack! LOL! She got a lot of satisfaction from those misaimed slaps, and I am certain that I deserved every one of them!  :D
Edie

greatguns

Both my older sisters seemed to play with that same slap. :D :D :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk