What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

There is a Maggi sauce that is commonly used in Thai  Cooking....Could it be? ;D. Anyway ,cute name and I could even pronounce it! Big hugs to all!

patyrn

What a cute name - Congratulations to your family, Larry!

larryJ

Thanks to all for the good wishes. 

Diane, you are probably correct with the Maggi sauce.  I seem to remember some of the conversation yesterday concerning her name having to do with a sauce.  I don't know.  I probably wouldn't want to go through life explaining my middle name was a sauce in Thailand!  Jojo's mom was there yesterday for a while and tried to push some Chinese middle names on her, but she politely (I guess, they were alternating between Chinese and English) told her mom she had already filled out the birth certificate. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Ms Bear

After learning to drive a 3/5 ton pickup with a stick shift, including granny gear on a ranch that bigger than some small towns I moved to Southern California and spent the next five years driving L A freeways in a variety of cars.  Loved driving there.  Still like to do 80 on the freeway.

Wilma

Today I am watching the shadow of the cottonwood tree that is in front of my house.  I am going to note the time that the top of it reaches the other side of the street.  Then tomorrow I am going to have Daughter measure from the base of the tree to the spot on the street where the tip of shadow was.  I have a theory that I can determine the height of the tree from the length of the shadow.  My eyeball estimation is 60 feet.  I should be able to tell the shadow of the cottonwood from the other trees because it is the tallest.

larryJ

Wilma, better yet, stand at the bottom of the tree holding one end of the measuring tape and have your daughter climb the tree.  I am not sure the shadow theory works.  Maybe should ask Steve, he might know. 

Today, my wife's cousin arrives from Chicago.  They are close in age and very close, period.  She will be here for a couple of weeks.  Due to my wife having a terrific cold, we have not been going to see the new baby, but we see pictures.  So cute!  Wait, I didn't really say that, did I? 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

If you can measure your own shadow, when it's your shadow is long as you know you are tall, then you can measure the tree's shadow and it will be accurate. You need to have something that you know the height of to make the shadow measurement work.There are others too. I remember doing that at high school with my whole my class and measuring some giant oaks out behind the bus barn. I know it was fall because there were acorns all over the place. You can use a yard stick too. Stand it upright on the ground and when it's shadow is three feet long, measure the tree's shadow.   

Ms Bear

Diane, I am glad you remembered how to measure the tree.  I remember learning how, just didn't remember how.  Wilma, I am anxious to see how close you estimate is.  I bet it is pretty close.  Larry, I don't think Wilma's daughter is going to be to receptive of your idea for measuring the tree.

Our weather here is just perfect, cool in the morning and evening and nice in the daytime. 

Diane Amberg

Now see, we "know it alls'' are good for something once in awhile. ;D. Anybody watch Rachel Maddow tonight?

Wilma

OK, Daughter refused to climb the tree, but she did carry a 100 ft. of hose across the road, following the shadow of the tree.  Then she measured from where the hose ended to the tip of the shadow.  We came up with 121 feet.  Next we measured the post that holds the paper box.  It measured 58 inches.  It's shadow measured 99 inches.  Now you math whizzes tell me how tall the cottonwood tree is.  Then I will tell you what I came up with.  Mine is considerably more than my eyeball quesstimate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk