What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Tornado season is every day that is on the calendar.  :P :P As long as it is this warm and there is some air coming in that is cool, we are at risk. Seen tornados in January when it got unseasonably warm, then cold. haven't talked to my bud in Wichita yet, but suspect he is disgusted as he spent yesterday trimming trees, now he probably has it to do over again! Right now it is rumbling out to the west; suspect we will be getting some of the action within the hour. However, Little Man just came in to eat then headed back outside. Who knows??????? ???
Edie

Wilma

I have been watching the radar since 6:00 anyway.  The heavy stuff is between us and Winfield and between Severy and Fall River.  We do have something coming that might contain heavy wind, but there isn't any tornadic activity right here, right now.  Burden is right in the path of what they have been watching.

Diane Amberg

Clubine Ranch

Dale and I  just returned from the Rails and Canyons motor coach vacation sponsored by the Rolling Prairie Extension District. Thirty one of us boarded the coach in Howard on Sunday. Sept. 12th.
Our first night we stayed in Pueblo, CO. A relaxing hot tub was sure enjoyed after the long day of travel. The next morning we were on our way to Alamosa seeing lots of haying, cabbages, melons, potatoes, onions and other vegetables, either growing or being harvested. We toured the Rosemount museum Home. The Victorian architect was lovely beyond words. Nearly all the furnishings, wall and window treatments, decorative arts and paintings are original to the home. Our lunch was served in the Carriage House Restaurant complete with linen table cloth and napkins. Very pretty and very good food. The afternoons train ride had to be cancelled due to a bridge repair. A trip to an alligator farm was provided. The highlight for me was the huge tortoise that was allowed to  roam wherever it wanted to go. It was really huge! 
The next day we were onward and upward to the Mesa Verde National Park. We got to see how the Anasazi lived in their cliff dwellings. Some chose to hike down a canyon to get a closer look, others chose to zoom in with their cameras. Each curve and twist of the highway bought views that were just spectacular.
Along the way we saw and walked in the Great Sand Dunes. The beauty of the constantly moving sand brings shapes and designs beyond your imagination.
We rode the historic Narrow Gauge Railroad from Durango  to the top of the mountain. We came down the mountain in the motor coach. No snow, but beautiful views. Some trees were just starting to turn. The color and simmer where a sight in themselves. That afternoon we went to the Gunnison State Park and enjoyed a walk into the deep Black Canyon.  It was just before evening started to fall and the colors were unbelievable. Its straight up and down canyon walls really is more breathtaking than the Grand Canyon, to my way of thinking.
We visited The Abbey west of Pueblo, which is now privately owned and being turned into private meeting or celebration place for profit. They are in the process of restoring it to its original beauty. A wonderful lunch was prepared for us. We stopped at the Museum of Colorado Prisons. This was very interesting and very informative. It sits next door to a working prison.
All in all, the wonders of this Earth cannot be described but it is there to enjoy and respect, no matter where you call home. God is truly The Master of Design.

Diane Amberg

Did the prison museum by chance have any examples of the spurs the prisoners used to make? I have a set that were Uncle Bills and were made at a Colorado prison long ago, not sure which one though. That sure sounds a like a wonderful trip. Did you walk down that winding path at Mesa Verde? Sure is beautiful area. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I love hearing about people's travels.
  We just got back from a beautiful day on the UD Green for Newark Community Day.`

Ms Bear

Her description makes me want to go.  I have seen some of that but it was many years ago.  Thank you for sharing.

Clubine Ranch

Diane, you are making me think. I believe I saw spurs on display but not for sale. So many things they no longer let the prisoners make so they wouldn't be turned into weapons. There was lots of wooden puzzles, leather crafted good. Sorry to say but lots of things were made in China.  :(
No, I did not walk that winding path, as I huffed and puffed doing it twenty odd years ago when I was in younger and more than a few pounds lighter! :)

W. Gray

When I was a kid and went to the Saturday matinees—almost always a western—some bad guy would quite frequently either be sent to or had just come out of the territorial prison. Yuma Territorial seemed to be quite popular.

I did not really understand what the "territory" or "territorial" meant but it did not matter.

Colorado Territory was formed the day before "little" Kansas became a state. The eastern portion of Colorado Territory was formerly the western portion of "big" Kansas.

It is an interesting observation that the state prison in Canon City, Colorado, is still known as the Colorado Territorial Prison. It has around 1,000 guests.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Clubine Ranch

I believe they told us they had seven prisons in the state... We passed several.

Diane Amberg

Actually, I meant on display at the museum rather than still being made for sale. I didn't make that clear. I have no idea how old mine are or anything about them except they were made in Colorado at one of the prisons. I have no idea where uncle Bill bought them...In Colorado or locally. Thanks for that interesting information Waldo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk