What Are You Doing For Excitement Today?

Started by Wilma, September 04, 2009, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Being somewhat homebound and not able to travel, I enjoy anyone's tale of their adventures.  I am just thankful that Diane enjoys what she does and is willing to share with us.  It would be nice to hear of some of the adventures that the rest of you are having or have had.  It isn't that I haven't traveled.  I have been to sixteen of our states, none of them east of the Mississippi.  Some of them several times.  My physical condition now prevents me from riding very far without being sick later.  Please continue with the tales of adventures.  This old lady appreciates them.

Diane Amberg

Thank you Wilma. I was asked to share so I didn't think I was out of line. Of course, reading what I write has always been optional.

Ole Granny

I enjoyed reading about your trip.  Please continue to share.  Thanks, Diane!
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

greatguns

Sounds like some of us Kansas gals enjoyed hearing about your adventure!  And for those that didn't, oh well.  And Wilma I enjoy your roses.  I also love to hear about larryj going to the beach.  As I said I love to see and hear about every nook and cranny of our country, big or small.  Thanks to all that contribute.

Diane Amberg

I feel the same way. Keep sharing folks. I enjoy hearing about other people's doings too, of any kind.
   As far as my traveling, I feel lucky to still be able to do it.There will be a time, far off I hope, when Al won't be able to. His endurance is slipping just a bit each year and eventually we'll have to close the door on our adventures. But in the meantime...next month we spend a couple of days in Baltimore. Seafood, here we come!

greatguns

patyrn

We took a little road trip last week and really enjoyed seeing some new places that weren't really that distant.  Our destination was Canton, Illinois where my ancestors immigrated from England to do some genealogy research.  On the way, we went by Fulton, Missouri and toured the Winston Churchill Museum on the campus of Westminster College there.  It was really interesting and well organized, but my highlight was the church from the 1600s which was on the grounds.  It was built in England; burned and been rebuilt; then bombed during World War II.  The remains were somehow transported, piece by piece, to Fulton, Missouri across the ocean by ship and then by train to the Midwest.  There it has been reconstructed and is a wonderful structure.  Then on to Hannibal, Missouri on the Mississippi River where Mark Twain lived as a child.  It is a quaint little river town with lots of tourist attractions based on Mark Twain's life and writing career.  After our visit in Canton and a trip to the history room in the local library, we headed south to Springfield, Illinois where Abraham Lincoln's heritage lives on.  A new Presidential Museum and Library is state-of-the art with the newest technology, and the Lincoln home was very interesting to tour.  The current capitol and the previous historic capitol along with the Lincoln burial tomb were pretty amazing.  Grant's Farm in St. Louis is owned by the Busch Family of beer fame housing some of the famous Clydesdale horses which were so beautiful.  We did not know that this land was once owned by Ulysses S. Grant (thus its name..........duh..........) and a National Park Service site across the street has a great free museum highlighting the lives of the Grant family.  

We were gone for a week and really enjoyed the wonderful spring weather and green landscapes of the Midwest at this time of year.  Sometimes we don't realize there are a treasure of wonderful sights to visit right in our own backyard!!!

larryJ

I definitely agree with you, Karen.  My daughter-in-law is a jet-setter and always traveled to many countries before becoming a mommy and settling down, even though she and the baby did make a trip to Shanghai and Hong Kong for a wedding and to visit her relatives.  I once told her she should "buy a Chevrolet and see the USA."  (How many of you remember that?)

My wife would prefer to fly, not being able anymore to sit for long drives.  In fact, for the upcoming reunion, she and others will fly to Oakland and my son and I will drive.  He and I took many trips across the country together when he was growing up.  It was a great bonding time for us. 

There is so much to see and learn in these United States.  I wish I could see all of them.  I have been to 27 states.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Karen, that was a wonderful trip. Missouri sure is beautiful.  Reminds me of good catfish too!

greatguns

Karen, my sister and I went to Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky last year.  Love every inch of that trip.  I had never seen as many peach trees as I did in Illinois.  Not even in Ga.  Sounds like it was a delightful trip.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk