Van Jones Unhinged

Started by Varmit, September 01, 2009, 07:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

Anmar, check your history facts.  Beck and others were advertising for gold before late 2008.  The problem with your analysis is how you base it.  Simply put, the price of gold rises and falls depending on the economy.  When the economy is good, the price of gold goes down, when the economy is bad gold goes up.  Considering, the national debt, the push to get out of the dollar, the continued drop of the economy, gold is a good bet.  Using your chart, a year ago gold was at 850 (low when compared to today) pushing 1000 and projected to go higher.  So, the "fools" who listened to Beck, Rush, and bought gold a year ago are getting a pretty good return.

Also, as for your Jordan experience you made it seem, in your post #64 in the Isreal-Hamas thread, that you had spent a considerable amount of time there.

"I studied at the university of Jordan in Amman in an Arabic and cultural immersion program designed for foreign diplomats and emissaries.  So i actually have lived there, I've been to Israel and Palestine and I've seen a lot of what goes on first hand.-Anmar"

Implying that you were there for more than just a quarter. 

It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Anmar

Quote from: Varmit on September 04, 2009, 12:08:11 PM
Anmar, check your history facts.  Beck and others were advertising for gold before late 2008.  The problem with your analysis is how you base it.  Simply put, the prise of gold rises and falls depending on the economy.  When the economy is good, the price of gold goes down, when the economy is bad gold goes up.  Considering, the national debt, the push to get out of the dollar, the continued drop of the economy, gold is a good bet.  Using your chart, a year ago gold was at 850 (low when compared to today) pushing 1000 and projected to go higher.  So, the "fools" who listened to Beck, Rush, and bought gold a year ago are getting a pretty good return.

Also, as for your Jordan expirence you made it seem, in your post #64 in the Isreal-Hamas thread, that you had spent a considerable amount of time there.

"I studied at the university of Jordan in Amman in an arabic and cultural immersion program designed for foreign diplomats and emmissaries.  So i actually have lived there, i've been to Israel and Palestine and i've seen a lot of what goes on first hand.-Anmar"

Implying that you were there for more than just a quarter. 

lol, you sure are good at reading things that aren't there and completely missing the point of what is clearly stated.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Jo McDonald

Soooooooooo?  What was the point that he missed?
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Anmar

Quote from: Jo McDonald on September 04, 2009, 01:04:58 PM

Don't buy something when the price is high.  Don't listen to people who tell you to buy when the price is high.

Varmit

Anmar, you contridict yourself so many times it is hard to keep track.  First, you say that the price history is not important then go on to use the history to say that investing in it was a bad idea.  You accuse me of missing the point of what is stated, yet you clearly did the same thing when you posted those clips of Beck. 

You know what, you are so lost in your own self-grandeur and conceit that it doesn't matter how many times you are proven wrong you will keep arguing the same point.  I find this conversation dull and grow bored with it.  Have a nice night.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Warph

Back to Van Jones.... the guy is toast, kuput, finis.  He's had his 15 minutes of fame.  Now, on to the other 43 Clowns.  Hmmmm... lets see... who's next.  I know, how about the Science guy?  No... wait... how about the FCC lacky czar.  Yeah... lets take him down, then the Science guy.  Ah yes... I love the sound of those political toilets flushing in the morning....
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Anmar

Quote from: Varmit on September 04, 2009, 10:17:56 PM
Anmar, you contridict yourself so many times it is hard to keep track.  First, you say that the price history is not important then go on to use the history to say that investing in it was a bad idea.  You accuse me of missing the point of what is stated, yet you clearly did the same thing when you posted those clips of Beck. 

You know what, you are so lost in your own self-grandeur and conceit that it doesn't matter how many times you are proven wrong you will keep arguing the same point.  I find this conversation dull and grow bored with it.  Have a nice night.

The clips of Beck were posted in a different thread, and were pertinent to that thread.  You missed the point entirely.  First you attack my education, then when i give you my credentials, you call it conceit.  I'm sorry if you are feeling inadequete with yourself, but by expressing myself confidently in a subject area for which i have been trained extensively is not conceit.  As i asked you earlier, where did you study economics? 

I ask because it's difficult to argue with someone who lacks the basic understanding of buy low and sell high.  You don't need to go to school for that.  For some reason, you think it's a good idea to buy high.  I want to know where you learned that.  I want to know if defending Beck is so important to you that you'll turn your back on common sense.

Frankly, there are many reasons why gold is a terrible investment right now.  Many of those reasons you would need to have some understanding of business to comprehend.  You have to analyze the risk involved, and estimate the return.  Gold is very volatile now and has a low probability of returning a substantial yield.  The payoff doesn't warrant the risk.  You have to compare it to other opportunities such as stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.  Gold historically has a yield of about 8-9% while stocks have a yield of 13-16%.  During an economic recovery, stock preform much better and gold does much worse.  Don't just take my word for it, look it up, ask your investment advisor.

Billy, You haven't proven me wrong, the only thing you've proven is that you really don't know anything about economics, and that you are willing to try and pretend you do in order to further your own agenda.

For everyone else, remember that in the end, it's the media's job to make money.  It's a business and they don't give a damn about you, because you are not their customer, the advertiser is. 

Warph

[/quote]
For everyone else, remember that in the end, it's the media's job to make money.  It's a business and they don't give a damn about you, because you are not their customer, the advertiser is. 
[/quote]

If I may jump in here.  You are 100% right about one thing, Anmar.. it's the media's job to make money, PERIOD!  ... and I agree, the advertiser is their main point of veiw, BUT, remember, without we poor little viewers, their ratings go into the toilet.  Case in point, NBC & MSNBC. 
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

srkruzich

The point is that Gold is not a good investment at this point and time. IF folks had bought into gold back in 2004 or so when it was at 400 a oz then it would have been a great investment. Today at 800 or so its due for a crash.

In late 70's, gold went from 200 a oz i think up to around 800 or so and then crashed back down to about 300 a oz.  It was a hedge against inflation which was rampant during carter years and when the economy started coming out of hyperinflation caused by carter, it crashed big time.  The same thing is going to happen with gold again.  Once this economy comes out of its crash, and after the hyperinflation has run its course the gold prices are going to plumet.  Don't expect gold to rise above 1000 much before the  hyperinflation is over.  It has already started.  I have noticed in the last couple months, grocery prices have increased significantly.  i just bought the same groceries i buy every month, and it was 55 dollars more expensive than it was in june.   The hyperinflation has already started and until the money gets reintroduced back into the economy, from the stock selloff, the hyperinflation will continue. But Gold will not save the farm.  The only thing Gold is, is a tangible.  Think of it this way.
IF i bought gold at 500 a oz and lets say a chevy 350 pickup is 40,000 dollars, that means 80 oz of gold or 3 pounds of gold is what it would take to purchase the truck.   Lets say in 2 years that same truck is 65,000 dollars and gold went up to 750 dollars a oz the same 3 pounds of gold would buy that truck.  There is very little if any increase in the value of gold, it just keeps up with the inflation is all. 

On this issue i would have to agree with Anmar. 
I remember growing up as a kid, gold was illegal to own, and gold prices were set at 35.00 a oz.  It was after they made gold legal to own that it started fluctuating like crazy.   
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Anmar

Quote from: srkruzich on September 05, 2009, 02:30:09 PM
The point is that Gold is not a good investment at this point and time. IF folks had bought into gold back in 2004 or so when it was at 400 a oz then it would have been a great investment. Today at 800 or so its due for a crash.

In late 70's, gold went from 200 a oz i think up to around 800 or so and then crashed back down to about 300 a oz.  It was a hedge against inflation which was rampant during carter years and when the economy started coming out of hyperinflation caused by carter, it crashed big time.  The same thing is going to happen with gold again.  Once this economy comes out of its crash, and after the hyperinflation has run its course the gold prices are going to plumet.  Don't expect gold to rise above 1000 much before the  hyperinflation is over.  It has already started.  I have noticed in the last couple months, grocery prices have increased significantly.  i just bought the same groceries i buy every month, and it was 55 dollars more expensive than it was in june.   The hyperinflation has already started and until the money gets reintroduced back into the economy, from the stock selloff, the hyperinflation will continue. But Gold will not save the farm.  The only thing Gold is, is a tangible.  Think of it this way.
IF i bought gold at 500 a oz and lets say a chevy 350 pickup is 40,000 dollars, that means 80 oz of gold or 3 pounds of gold is what it would take to purchase the truck.   Lets say in 2 years that same truck is 65,000 dollars and gold went up to 750 dollars a oz the same 3 pounds of gold would buy that truck.  There is very little if any increase in the value of gold, it just keeps up with the inflation is all. 

On this issue i would have to agree with Anmar. 
I remember growing up as a kid, gold was illegal to own, and gold prices were set at 35.00 a oz.  It was after they made gold legal to own that it started fluctuating like crazy.   

Ugh finally someone understands what I'm trying to say. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk