Where am I in Chautauqua County

Started by Delbert, September 01, 2009, 07:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delbert

I'm in a ghost  town that is named from a town in England.   Coal was mined here many years ago.  Where am I?

redcliffsw

It's probably Leeds which is formerly located in the SW/c Section 25-32S-9E CQCO.
That's about 8 or 10 miles SE of Grenola.

frawin

Red, my guess is that you are correct, Leeds was a Town in England as well. My Grandfather Winn had a sister that lived at Leeds , Kansas in the late 1800s.

redcliffsw

A while back, I was reading a story in the Sedan newspaper about Leeds.
It was a small town but it had a GAR membership with their own building.
Seems like three miners were killed in the coal mine there.
I've been out there but didn't see where any mine had been, but I might
have missed it too.

W. Gray

Leeds was founded as Squib in 1883 and then changed to Leeds a few months later.

Leeds lost its post office in 1927.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

RED, interesting you mention the GAR at Leeds, my Great Aunt's husband, Abbott Manassas Lee was in the Union Army and probably belonged to the GAR at Leeds when they lived there.. He is buried at Netawaka Cemetery in Jackson County, Kansas.

Frank

flintauqua

jensarlou

Could it be the bridge on rd 19 that crosses the northern end of Tanglewood Lake out by Quivira Rd?

flintauqua

Yes it is taken from the vicinity of the bridge on Road 19, N 37.24126 W 96.20758, as it crosses the upper end of the lake on the Quivira Scout Ranch, looking towards Rattlesnake Cove. 

This lake often gets confused on maps with Tanglewood Lake.  Tanglewood Lake is actually to the east in section 25 at N 37.23033 W 96.15664.

The official name of the scout lake is Murray Gill Lake.  From http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.asp?LinkKey=3078&orgkey=1107

QuoteMURRAY GILL LAKE
Perhaps the most attractive feature of QSR is the lake. Besides fishing — tournament bass fishing is done here — a wide range of other aquatics activities are offered at camp.
Named after the chairman of the camp development committee, Murray Gill Lake and dam provides for 473 surface acres of water and 5,000 acre feet of flood control for the Caney River Valley, below.

After considering alternative lake options, work to survey and construct the dam began in 1964. Quivira Council paid for 22% of the dam cost, and the U.S. Soil and Conservation Service paid 78%.

In addition, untold volunteer hours and equipment were volunteered to help clear and level the river valley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk