Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway

Started by W. Gray, August 29, 2009, 10:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Waldo, my wife has the Milk Can that her family shipped cream on the train out of Piedmont in the 30s and 40s, it is medium thick metal, and wasn't galvanized.

flintauqua

My father's milk cans were steel also.  They finally rusted out about ten years ago, after being unused for decades.  He did have five gallon, bail handled heavy stainless steel buckets, but they weren't for shipping, they had lids that hooked into the vacumn for the actual milking process.  I'm not a hands-on veteran of dairying, as father had quit dairying by the time I came along (thank goodness ;D)

Charles

W. Gray

I suppose I was trying to give that picture a pre-1900 date and it looked like those cans had a sleeve of some type around them--maybe to give them strength.

It just occurred to me as to whether they could have made steel cans back then.

A web site has new stainless steel milk cans for $199.

Old steel ones are around $100.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, I think those are insulation covers to keep the cans cooler in the summer and to keep from freezing in the Winter.

dnalexander

Thanks to everyone for your posts to this thread. If we taught history in school similar to this thread I think many more people would find history class exciting.

Earlier, Charles asked for us to post links or give sources for our information. I posted some. Later doing some research I found a link to a great resource, THIS FORUM!!!!  Do a forum search on Howard Branch, Santa Fe, railroad etc. Poor Waldo we make him repeat himself every few years ;D. In particular there is a Howard Branch post were someone posted links to their train simulation program that recreates much of the Howard Branch. Very Cool!

David

jarhead

Frawin, The picture of Elk Falls depot has no date on it but I have a picture of the west side of Elk Falls main street that went with that picture. Then I have another picture of Elk Falls main street that has the date 1916. From the time the first picture was taken until 1916 the buildings had changed a bunch. A young lad in the picture looks like it could be Waldo so I'd guess it was late 1800's :)
As soon as I learn how to post a picture I will post them--or better yet I will ask Teresa to do it---again.
I have an old milk can that is all rusted out but has a brass tag soldered on it that says, "return to R.F. Farris Elk City , Ks-----When full ship to Blue Valley Creamery Co. Parsons Ks.

sixdogsmom

Looking forward to these pictures, be sure and let us know when they are done. Better yet, get Teresa in an armlock and have her teach you how. (Then you can teach the rest of us! Ha!)
Edie

frawin

Jarhead, by chance do you have any pictures of the old mill?  My maternal great grandfather helped build it.  The replica that the Fry's Pottery shop has was made for them, by a relative on my paternal side of the house if you have seen it.  I have never seen a picture of it.

On another note, Monty Edwards was on a train sitting on the siding in Moline several years ago.  We happened to be in town and our boys were small, so we walked down to the depot to talk with him.  He let the boys get up in the engine while it was idling on the side.  They were in 7th heaven!

Myrna

W. Gray

If it was me in one of those old photos, I was probably looking for milk cans.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

frawin,
The only picture I have of the mill is when the damn was made of logs so it must of been one of the first dams. My picture is too big to send but my nephew had them made smaller to hang in the local cafe and he has them on his computer and I'll try and get them sent. I see in the Elk County history book the picture of the Elk Falls depot that I sent. It says who is in the picture and says it was taken before 1917. I would guess many years before 1917

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk