State Worshipping Churches

Started by redcliffsw, August 29, 2009, 12:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

Quote from: srkruzich on August 31, 2009, 04:44:19 PM
Quote from: sixdogsmom on August 31, 2009, 03:23:14 PM
I find that every person has a different view of religion, even those who sit next to one another in church. Only time will tell what is right for you. The bible has been changed and rewritten many times from the original version. Even that version was a compilation of books chosen by a group of men influenced by their own lives and times. Much has been lost through the veils of time.

Lets see, they have released quite a bit of the ORIGINALs, aka dead sea scrolls, and the passages they released are the same as what we have today as far as the NT.  The OT is the same today as it was when it was first written.   The jews are sticklers for accuracy.

You're really off on this.  The dead sea scrolls are from the books of the old testament, not the new testament.  Furthermore, they are not originals, they are attributed to a smaller sect of judaism and were written hundreds of years after the old testament.  If anything, the dead sea scrolls prove that even the old testament has been corrupted by man, as it contains significant differences from other texts.  It's very sad, yet the fact remains that the bible has been butchered throughout the centuries to suit the needs of different groups of people.  Bible Scholars now are trying to reverse some of the changes that have been done, but how much can they really do when they don't know what the original looked like?

Take for instance, John 3:16.  People say that this verse if the foundation of christianity.  However, if you use the King James version of the bible, you are not reading the correct translation.

QuoteFor God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

– John 3:16 (KJV)

The greek bible doesn't say begotten, it says unique.  The words mean different things.  Unique means that there is nothing else like it, begotten means to physically father.  Begotten implies that God physically impregnated Mary (who was roughly 13 when she had Jesus)  This was changed when the bible was translated into Latin in an effort to gain converts because it was similar to a story of a pagan god (Much the way christmas was created)   Contemporary bible scholars have begun to revise their bibles to change it to unique.  Even the King James version had changed it for awhile, but American ministers complained and the phrase was changed back, despite proof that it was not the correct translation.

The most interesting thing about this verse is that this mistranslation is the reason many of the founders became Dieists.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

redcliffsw

The KJV Bible is a preserved Biblical text.

The modern bible versions including the New King James and NIV are corrupt texts.

Anmar

flintauqua

In 1604, King James I of England authorized that a new translation of the Bible into English be started. It was finished in 1611, just 85 years after the first translation of the New Testament into English appeared (Tyndale, 1526). The Authorized Version, or King James Version, quickly became the standard for English-speaking Protestants.

dnalexander

Steve, you have a better quote off the top of your head knowledge of the bible than I do. This is just a question so if you disagree with my statement I will find some support for my statement and provide it to you.

Under Christian belief is it not true that a person can gain salvation and entrance to heaven even after death, but before being relegated to heaven or hell? I have seen such a statement on what would be considered fundamentalist christian faith websites. Just asking the question.

David

sixdogsmom

I would be interested in this answer.
Edie

Anmar

Quote from: dnalexander on August 31, 2009, 09:04:06 PM
Steve, you have a better quote off the top of your head knowledge of the bible than I do. This is just a question so if you disagree with my statement I will find some support for my statement and provide it to you.

Under Christian belief is it not true that a person can gain salvation and entrance to heaven even after death, but before being relegated to heaven or hell? I have seen such a statement on what would be considered fundamentalist christian faith websites. Just asking the question.

David

I'm not steve, but i think i can answer.  You are referring to the concept of purgatory, i believe.  Protestants don't believe in purgatory, as they threw out the books that referenced it for use in the KJV.  Protestants believe in the concept of Sola Fide (translated: Faith Alone), meaning that one can only enter heaven by their faith, and it can only be changed while a person is alive.  Actions that one my undertake while living are meaningless, thus even according to the protestant belief system, even the worst of criminals, rapists, and mass murderers will enter the gates of heaven if they accept Jesus as their savior.  I know it may not seem like it from that thread about Kennedy, but the Christian God of the new testament is forgiving.

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on August 31, 2009, 07:36:52 PM
Take for instance, John 3:16.  People say that this verse if the foundation of christianity.  However, if you use the King James version of the bible, you are not reading the correct translation.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

– John 3:16 (KJV)

Quote[The greek bible doesn't say begotten, it says unique.  The words mean different things.  Unique means that there is nothing else like it, begotten means to physically father.  Begotten implies that God physically impregnated Mary (who was roughly 13 when she had Jesus)  This was changed when the bible was translated into Latin in an effort to gain converts because it was similar to a story of a pagan god (Much the way christmas was created)   Contemporary bible scholars have begun to revise their bibles to change it to unique.  Even the King James version had changed it for awhile, but American ministers complained and the phrase was changed back, despite proof that it was not the correct translation.

The most interesting thing about this verse is that this mistranslation is the reason many of the founders became Dieists.

The greek bible uses μονογενής or pronounced monogenēs  and that is begotton not unique.  Got it right here. :)

It means
1) single of its kind, only
    a) used of only sons or daughters (viewed in relation to their parents)
    b) used of Christ, denotes the only begotten son of God

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

No that possibly is a mormon belief. IF i remember right the mormons believe that people can be saved after death if their baptized by proxy by one of their members.

The bible specifically states that you cannot be saved once dead if you have not made that choice in life.

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on August 31, 2009, 09:20:03 PM

David

I'm not steve, but i think i can answer.  You are referring to the concept of purgatory, i believe.  Protestants don't believe in purgatory, as they threw out the books that referenced it for use in the KJV.  Protestants believe in the concept of Sola Fide (translated: Faith Alone), meaning that one can only enter heaven by their faith, and it can only be changed while a person is alive.  Actions that one my undertake while living are meaningless, thus even according to the protestant belief system, even the worst of criminals, rapists, and mass murderers will enter the gates of heaven if they accept Jesus as their savior.  I know it may not seem like it from that thread about Kennedy, but the Christian God of the new testament is forgiving.

Purgatory is a concept that was derived from the OT.  In the OT the believers died and went to sheol and waited for christ to come on the cross. When he died, he descended into sheol and took them to heaven with him. 

No longer does the believer die and go to a waiting place.  No biblical evidence that they do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk