Catalpa sphinx worms

Started by Joanna, August 25, 2009, 07:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

I have some lovely catalpa worms that are supposed to be good for fish bait. 
Anyone want to come pick some? ::) I'd be tickled pink to get rid of the creatures. :P

I read at http://www.ag.auburn.edu/enpl/bulletins/catalpasphinx/catalpasphinx.htm and looks like I will probalby kill them with the same stuff I'm using for grubs and ants and fleas now... but not while they're on the trees.
Nasty things keep dropping their bb size pellets on my pretty sidewalk.  >:(
Anyhow, I don't fish, but if you're hankering for some fresh bait, bring your ladder and come gather some up 8) :-* :)

Mom70x7

And if you don't get enough at Joanna's, come on over!
;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

sixdogsmom

Actually these make the best bait for Bluegill ever. They are small enough to fit easily on a small hook and are tough and wiggle a lot. Perfect for the kids to fish with. Lots of fun!  :D
Edie

Teresa

Really......? I never ever thought of it.. What a great way for Ashley and Mason to have fish bait without the cost of buying worms that seem to disappear 1/2 second after putting them on the hook.
Wonder what kind of dirt or leaves or what you would have to put them in to keep them from dying.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flintauqua

From About.com  (I know, not the most reliable site, but they reprinted the info from somewhere . . .  :P)

"The catalpa caterpillar is tough in texture. The worm oozes a bright fluorescent green fluid that smells sweet when put on a hook. The tough skin makes for staying hooked and a fresh worm will attract fish with its smell and its wiggle. It is revered as the best fish bait to be found naturally.
Catalpa worms can be preserved alive by placing them in cornmeal packed in an air tight container and frozen. It has been said that when this container is opened and the worms are removed from the meal, they thaw and become active and as effective in catching fish as ever.

Another method of preserving the caterpillar for future use is "pickling" them in a baby food jar filled with corn syrup. The jar should be immediately stored in a refrigerator and has an indefinite shelf life. "

They also had a photo of a bucket of catalpa worms crawling on and through a handful of green leaves.

Charles

Teresa

well then.. I'll come by and get some Joanna.
I'll freeze them to death in cornmeal.

I just hope I don't forget and make corncatapiller bread  :P
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Rudy Taylor

Teresa, you may be onto something there.

Could be your next successful venture.

;)
It truly is "a wonderful life."

greatguns

I'm not eating any of her cornbread.  No, not me! ;D

Ms Bear

If you don't get enough there you can come to Texas and get some in my yard.  Love to fish but haven't tried them for bait.

Catwoman

All I can say, to all of the aforementioned is....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk