Upola

Started by W. Gray, August 23, 2009, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

How does one in Elk County pronounce "Upola?"

Is it Up-ola or U-pola?

Anyone know where the name came from?

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Waldo, I always heard it pronounced U-po-la.  One of the areas of the county that I never was in much.  Must of been one of the few areas that neither my dad, uncle Ed, or Jerry Boyer had cattle or crops in at some point in time.

Can't find my copy of John Rydjords Place Names of Kansas book at the moment.  My "Library" really needs to be in shelves permanently, rather than boxed up as most of it is presently.

I'll keep looking,

Charles

Jo McDonald

Waldo, we always pronounced it the way Charles has it on his post.  I haven't been there for years, but Fred and Russ were there not too long ago, I believe.  It used to be quite a neighborhood, back in the 40's.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

whizkid238

When I was about 7 a family member was buried at Upola.  Well I got it in my head Larua Ingells Wilder liver there and could see no reason my father couldn't take me to her house and just drop in.  We didn't go ofcourse but I've thought of it often over the yrs

Judy Harder

U Pola is still there. Or rather farm houses and the rr crossing is.

Mostly a ranching and haying community. Mail comes out of Longton.

Lots of nice people.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

W. Gray

Okay, thanks everyone.

I asked a few times in Elk County received the answer "U-Pola--isn't it?"

Be interesting to find out where that name came from. Where is Henrietta Elma Mann and Mary Audrey Neeland when I need them?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, Upola was/is a European family Surname. Census records don't show any Upola's in Kansas but I suspect the name came from some early settlers family surname.

W. Gray

Rudy Taylor

Good stuff, folks.  Thanks.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

larryJ

Hey Greatguns, in searching I found an earlier post from you saying that your grandmother or greatgrandmother was born in Upola so maybe you can enlighten your Elk County neighbors.   ;D

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk