Started by Warph, August 18, 2009, 09:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Alfred:  "This letter came for you, Master Batman.  It's from Batgirl"

Batman:  "Thank you , Alfred"

Robin:  "Gosh, Batman, this camel grass juice is great."

Batman:  "Beware of strong stimulants, Robin." 

Robin:  "What's that your reading, Batman

Batman:  "Hmmmm......  from Batgirl.  It isn't just out of the goodness of their hearts that Big Labor is gearing up to spend millions to help President Obama to jam Obamacare down the throats of the American people.  The unions stand to get a big payoff of $10 billion to supplement their failing pension plans, Robin.  John Sweeney, President of the AFL-CIO recently announced that the union would jump into the healthcare fight to help out 'working people.'  Sweeney also said that the healthcare fight is the next big step in our march to turn around America."

Robin:  "Holy Cow, Batman, I thought the unions already have their own healthcare plans and Obama promised.... for whatever an Obama promise is worth these days... that union plans would be untouched by Obamacare.  So, I ask you, what are the unions in the fight for if it doesn't really touch them?"

Batman:  "Well Robin, the answer to that question appears in the House bill on page 65, section 164 where unions are eligible to receive a $10 billion dollar infusion of taxpayer's money to supplement their failing plans through a program called the 'reinsurance plan.'  Isn't that nice and complete now?" 

Robin:  "Holy Kleenex Batman, it was right under our nose's and we blew it."

Batman:  Right you are, Robin.  This section stipulates that $10 billion will be set aside for this program of "reinsurance" for those older than 55 and not yet eligible for Medicare." 

Alfred:  Gee... how convenient for Mr. Sweeney! " 

Batman:  "Victory comes in defending what we know is right while we still are able to fight this."

Robin: "Gosh, and I thought economics and politics a dull subject."

Batman: "Oh, you must be jesting, Robin.  Economics and politics dull?  The glamour, the romance of commerce... Hmmmm.... It's the very lifeblood of our country's society.  Remember what Ronald Reagan said, "The time is now, my fellow Americans, to recapture our destiny, to take it into our own hands.  But, to do this will take many of us, working together.  I ask you to volunteer your help in this cause so we can carry our message throughout the land. ... Can we doubt that only a Divine Providence placed this land -- this island of freedom -- here as a refuge for all those people in the world who yearn to breathe freely? ... I'll confess that I've been a little afraid to suggest what I'm going to suggest -- I'm more afraid not to -- that we begin our crusade joined together in a moment of silent prayer. God bless America."

Robin:  Holy strawberries Batman!  We're in a jam!"

Batman:  "Right again, Robin.  In his open letter, Sweeney said 'that one of the union's goals was to seek relief for company/union funds providing pre-Medicare retiree coverage.'  This would be people that retired from the unions before they are eligible for Medicare.  In other words, Robin, the unions are looking for federal funds to relieve expenditures from its OVER extended pension plans.  Here you have union retirees who probably made $$$ per hour for many years and they cannot afford health insurance on there own until 65???  ....(sigh)....  Don't they know that a penny saved, is a penny earned.  Of course the unions would love that, wouldn't they.  If that were the case, they wouldn't need the $10 billion that President Obama is offering.  This program will "reimburse eligible retirees for 80% of the costs of their medical care and this would go a long way to help our unions defer costs to their own plans," according to Sweeney.  They want their own 55/65 personal gold-plated medicare plan to be paid by the dumb taxpayer!  This is corruption, at its most bizarre and terrible, Robin.  Whatever is fair in love and war is also fair in crimefighting."

Robin:  "Holy bill of rights, Batman!  So, no wonder the unions are so hot to help ObamaCare pass.  We're in a vise here."

Batman:  "Never fear, haven't you noticed, Robin, how we always escape the vicious ensnarements of our enemies?"   

Robin:  "Yeah, because we're smarter than they are!"

Batman:  "I like to think it's because our hearts are pure.  But your right as wheaties,
Robin.  It will be a boon to their overextended pension plans.  We gotta do something fast.  Come on... to the Batmobile, Robin!  There's not a moment to lose!"   

Robin: "Yes, we better hurry, Batman."

Batman: "But not too fast, Robin.  In good driving as in good bat-climbing one must never sacrifice safety for speed."

Robin: "Right again, Batman."

Batman: "And remember, Robin, the green button will turn the car a la escarda o a la drecia."

Robin: "To the left or right.  Threw in a little Spanish on me, huh, Batman?"

Batman: "One should always keep abreast of foreign tongues, Robin."

Robin:  "I want a car.  Chicks dig this car."

Batman:  (sigh)  "This is why Superman works alone.  Alfred, call the commissioner and tell him were on our way.  Better three hours too soon than a minute too late!"

Check out Batman's links on Obamacare:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3200:http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3200:

http://www.publiusforum.com/2009/08/11/the-unions-bleeding-pensions/

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/08/labor_weighs_in.html
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

dnalexander

SuperWarph, I have to go fix a late dinner so I will read this later. But seeing the title JimmyO just had to say I  must read this later. :laugh:
JimmyO

Shoot, I just realized that JimmyO just referred to himself in the third person. And since Jimmy is my alter-ego for SuperWarph's posts I think I will make an appointment with my psychiatrist, because it is just getting all too confusing. I think Batman had the same dilemma. Were is my Bat signal emoticon?

David\JimmyO

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 19, 2009, 08:27:30 AM
Batman and Robin need to learn the difference between your and you're. ;D ;D ;D As far as I know nobody is offering New Castle County a packet of money for the pension board to use. The pension isn't failing and that's not how it would be repaired if it was. But since its all public money in a way, Al and the board have a fiduciary responsibility to make careful investments. Perhaps private business and private industry is different. Our health care plan is through New Castle County, not the unions. Was Batman talking about the car industry?

He was speaking about the AFL-CIO.  The car industry (UAW)  is included as one of the sixty plus unions in the Afl/CIO. 
As far as Batman's grammer, well... you need to take it up with him.  Here is what he had to say about it and wanted me to relay it to you:

Diane.....
These days, I tend to communicate via the keyboard as much as I do verbally, unfortunately, whether it is in the Batmobile or the Bat Cave.   I hate that, but it is necessary because number one, I'm a crime fighter and number two, I own and control a large multinational conglomerate and my time is very limited, Diane. 
Many times I'm in a hurry, quickly dashing off emails with typos, grammatical shortcuts and that breezy, e.e. cummings, no-caps look.  It's expected.  It's no big deal.  But other times, I try to invest a little care, avoiding mistakes so that there's no confusion about what I'm saying and so that I look professional and reasonably bright.  In general, I can slip up in a verbal conversation and get away with it.  For instances, a colleague may be thinking, "Did he just say 'irregardless' instead of 'regardless'?"... but the words flow on, and my worst transgressions are carried away and with luck, forgotten.  That's not the case with written communications.

When I tend to commit a grammatical crime in emails, discussion posts, reports, memos, posting something on a forum, and other professional documents, there's no going back.  I've just officially gone on record as being careless or clueless in your eyes.  Diane, it's not necessary to be an editor or a language whiz or a spelling bee triathlete to spot such mistakes.   (I'm being kind here). 
Look.... here we are in the era of MS/Word's red-underline "wrong spelling, dumb ass" feature and Outlook's "Always Check Spelling Before Sending" option, and still the mistakes proliferate.  Catching typo's is easy... although not everyone does it and most don't give a rats-behind, one way or the other.  I can think of one other person on your forum that does this.

So I ask you, Diane, do you think, (I'm being kind here again)...  that I'm stupid?  You seemed to indicate that in your reply especially with the JOKER-like smiling symbols that went with it.....(notice I said 'your,' not 'you're').  Before you answer, would a stupid man take a family business that started in the 17th century and put it into the Forbes top 25 with sales of last year topping $32 billion?  I don't think so.  Believe me, I've made a number of typo's along the way doing what I do best.  Remember, they don't call me the "Dark Knight" for nothing, Diane. 

Thank you for your time,

BATMAN

My Business Portfolio:

Wayne Enterprises (formerly WayneCorp) is owned by billionaire Bruce Wayne and run by his business manager Lucius Fox.  In addition to providing an income for Wayne, the various activities of the organization help facilitate his Batman activities.  Based in Gotham City, Wayne Corp was founded by merchant ancestors of the Wayne family in the 17th century as a merchant house, eventually becoming a large multinational conglomerate. The company opened new subsidiaries, such as Wayne Shipping, Wayne Chemicals and Wayne Aerospace, while shutting down others, such as Wayne Manufacturing.  It is listed on Forbes top 25 with sales in 2008 of $32 billion.

Bruce Wayne's Education
College graduate (graduated with Top Honors)  Has degrees in Criminal Science, Forensics, Computer Science, Political Science, Chemistry, Engineering, Human Biology, Physics, Advanced Chemistry and Technology; Trained in  various Martial Arts throughout the world.

Branches:

Wayne Technologies
Wayne Technologies, also known as WayneTech, is the biggest division of Wayne Enterprises. It is involved in the retrieval and research of alien technology. Its main rival was LexCorp before its assets were liquidated an Wayne bought them out. The subsidiary is sometimes used by Batman as a means to acquire new technologies or to use the medical facilities.
Other subsidiaries of WayneTech include: Holt Holdings Inc., (the company formerly owned by Michael Holt (Mister Terrific), Wayne Biotech, Wayne Pharmaceuticals, and Wayne Healthcare, which runs Gotham City's healthcare system with no help from Obamacare.

Wayne Biotech
Wayne Biotech is the company mostly responsible for the Gotham healthcare system. The company itself is a facility for researching and developing new medical procedures and systems. It also trains and teaches a huge number of people annually. Wayne Chemicals and Wayne Pharmaceuticals work closely with Wayne Biotech to develop medicines for different diseases.
The current research at Wayne Biotech is focused on finding the cure for cancer. Since the human genome has already been unlocked, Wayne Biotech is studying cloning to produce organs for future transplants. The company is involved in research into brain surgery methods, the fight against AIDS and HIV, and reconstructive plastic surgery. Batman uses Wayne Biotech as a research tool for finding medical information, patient histories and information on illnesses.  Again, Obamacare has no part in this.

Wayne Foods
Wayne Foods is a little known subsidiary of WayneTech mostly based in Gotham City. It runs farms and cattle ranches in the Midwest United States, and imports meat from Argentina and other countries. Wayne Foods produces specialized products like ecological foods and natural lines with no additives and controlled growing. Batman uses Wayne Foods as a means to keep tabs on the food produce market. In recent times, Wayne Foods has concentrated development efforts on organic produce, as a result of changing fashion and consumer demand.

Wayne Shipping
Wayne Shipping owns dozens of freighters and handles three-and-a-half billion tons of freight each month and is used by Batman to gain an inside view on smuggling and drug trafficking. In 1986 Wayne Shipping merged with PAAL Ship Corporation, creating the worlds largest commercial shipping operation for precious metals. The former PAAL CEO, Andreas Milanic, successfully floated Wayne Shipping on the New York Stock Exchange in 1988. The Wayne Family currently owns 57% of the company, with Milanic's second son Dragoslav owning 20% (with the remaining 23% in public ownership). Despite a lack of investment in Wayne Shipping since the merger took place, the company still remains an important player in world ocean transportation.

Wayne Steel
Wayne Steel is one of the oldest steel mills and metal refineries in Gotham and supplies steel for shipbuilding. It also studies and replicates alien technology. This has also led to Batman getting priority on technology and alloys for him to study. Wayne Steel's alliance with the US Navy and the government has produced numerous contacts for Wayne Enterprises.

Wayne Shipbuilding
WayneYards is responsible for the building of a large number of naval warships, commercial, and private ships and is currently building a Nimitz class aircraft carrier in Gotham. WayneSteel and WayneYards facilities repair a large number of cruisers and destroyers and also has contacts within the upper pylons of the Navy and the global maritime business.

Wayne Aerospace
Wayne Aerospace builds luxurious and exclusive corporate and private jets and airliners. Its experimental aviation branch produces experimental and research planes built for the United States government and NASA. The military aviation branch designs and manufactured jet fighters and helicopters for the US military. The most notable models of these are the W-4 Wraith fighter and the Kestrel attack helicopter. Wayne Aerospace maintains competition with other aerospace corporations like Ferris Air and LexAir.

Wayne Chemicals

Wayne Chemicals controls Wayne Oil, Wayne Pharmaceuticals and Wayne Botanical. Wayne Chemicals also has a small percentage of ownership in Tyler Chemicals, based in New York City. Wayne Chemicals is primarily a research and development firm. Wayne Oil researches petrochemicals and alternative fuel sources. Wayne Chemicals is the first company to have created a power generator using algae. Wayne Pharmaceuticals is another one of Wayne Chemicals' research and development branches.

Wayne Industries
Wayne Industries is a research and development company used for industrial purposes. The company studies, researches and develops cleaner, mechanical fission and fusion power plants and also owns many factories and normal labor units, from manufacturing cars to making cloth and so on. Wayne Mining is also a part of Wayne Industries, along with the few power stations the company owns. Wayne Mining mostly produces gold and some precious stones in Africa.

Wayne Medical
Wayne Medical is Wayne Biotech's sister company but both have different fields of study and work. Wayne Medical handles most of the healthcare system in Gotham and also studies cancer and AIDS with Wayne Biotech. Wayne Medical is focused more on researching illnesses than treating them and maintains and runs many hospitals in Gotham City without any U.S. government involvement (Obamacare) and helps the Foundation with the orphanages.

Wayne Electronics
Wayne Electronics is a large consortium that manufactures portable radios, stereo and Hi-Fi systems, movie cameras, cameras and electronics, measuring devices, scanners, surveillance equipment, computers and other electronics devices. Its other branches of business include information technology, wired networks, wireless networks and space exploration systems and satellites. It also has contracts with the aerospace, nautical and military industries

Wayne Entertainment
Wayne Entertainment owns many arenas and stadiums in Gotham and has leased out the Sommerset Stadium to the Metropolis Monarchs. Furthermore, Wayne Entertainment has working partnerships with several modeling agencies and multimedia houses and provides a large number of contacts and information. The Daily Planet newspaper, where Superman and his wife, Lois Lane, work, is operated by Wayne Entertainment. Wayne Entertainment is in direct competition with WGBS (run by Galaxy Communications) and LexCom (run by LexCorp). Those companies, along with other television and movie companies provide the same services as Wayne Entertainment. Through Wayne Entertainment, Batman has contacts in the media and entertainment industries.

Wayne Foundation
The Wayne Foundation is the holding company for the Thomas Wayne Foundation and the Martha Wayne Foundation. The Wayne Foundation funds scientific research and helps people with research by providing facilities and training.
The foundation has its own building called the Wayne Foundation Building which includes a penthouse where Batman lived for a period of time. It also has a secret elevator which leads to a matching Batcave in a secret sub-basement under the building.
Through the Wayne Foundation and the organizations underneath, Wayne not only addresses social problems encouraging crime and assisting victims in a way that his Batman persona cannot, but the arrangement also provides a large network of connections in the world of charities. He finds out about the newest trends and newest arts, but at the same time maintains connections to the streets through the soup kitchens and social services groups, which augments his crime fighting efforts.

Thomas Wayne Foundation
The Thomas Wayne Foundation is a foundation for medicine and medical help. This foundation gives annual awards for medical breakthroughs and lifelong commitment, similar to the Nobel Foundation. The Thomas Wayne Foundation is also responsible for funding the Thomas Wayne Memorial Clinic in Park Row, Gotham's infamous Crime Alley. The foundation funds and runs dozens of other free clinics all over the city and in other trouble cities like the Blüdhaven. Bruce Wayne's surrogate mother, Dr. Leslie Thompkins, ran the Memorial Clinic in Crime Alley and governed the other clinics until she left Gotham

Martha Wayne Foundation
The Martha Wayne Foundation is a patron and supporter of arts, families, education and tolerance. The foundation supports and helps to run a number of orphanages and free schools, and provides teachers for those who have learning difficulties. Artists can apply for grants from the foundation to help support them in furthering the arts. The foundation sponsors companies like Family Finders Inc. in Gotham. Family Finders is an organization directed at finding lost people and uniting families. The foundation sponsors and runs dozens of soup kitchens within the city.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

flintauqua

Holy 666 Batman, this Wayne is an optimally othodox orthographer owning omnipresent, omnifarious, oligopsonistic operations; just like Damian Thorn.  Should we be worried?

Anmar

Someone has way way too much time on their hands
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

larryJ

Holy gin and tonic, Batman, what are they serving at the nineteenth hole?

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Varmit

What got lost is the fact that you don't have to point out everyones typo's.  I would like to think that we are all intelligent enough to figuure out what a person is trying to say even though they may use the wrong form of a word in their comment. 

But for future reference, there should be two spaces after the ending punctuation of a sentence.  Guess somone needs to go back to typing class. ;D ;D ;D
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk