Area Cafes

Started by Anmar, August 18, 2009, 12:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anmar

I'll soon be visiting Elk county, and i'm wondering if the Cafe in Grenola is still around.  I heard something about a fire but i didn't get all the details. 
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Clubine Ranch

Sad to say our good neighbors in Grenola do not have a cafe. But they do  have some very good cooks...so if you get invited to a card party you will get some great food, they also have several  fund raising events in which food is served so you might watch out for that when you travel to Grenola. :)

W. Gray

The cafe was in the old bank building and the interior was gutted in a furious fire. I think Grenola had help from Moline and Howard fire departments.

Last I seem to recall, Grenola was looking for grant funds or someone to tear down the stone walls.

I will put in a word for Swinging Bridge cafe in Moline.  But, Toots and Poplar Pizza in Howard are good substitutes.

The Elk Falls Cafe has apparently shuttered permanently.

The Lion's Den in Longton is nice and there may be a couple more eating places in Longton.

There is (maybe was) a Curly Cue cafe in Moline.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

The Stockman's Cafe in nearby Cambridge is also good, although I haven't been there in quite some time.

Hope it's still open.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

sixdogsmom

Moline Curly Q is closed, looking for a new owner.
Edie

W. Gray

Stockman's Cafe seems as though it will never close. I first ate there around 1977.

Just recently we were running late at everything we were doing and arrived there at 2:30 pm. The folks smiled and told us to sit anywhere we wanted. There were not but one or two other customers.

What we did not know was they closed at 2:30.

Once we found out they were close, we were slightly embarrassed but the waitress came over and we spent the whole meal time talking with her--and with the cook/cleanup who was enjoying getting in on the conversation.

Wouldn't happen in most places.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Anmar

Thanks for all the responses.  Is it normal for a cafe out there to close around 2:30? 
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

flintauqua

Depends on the cafe, and the area it serves.  If the area just isn't in to eating the evening meal out, then the cafe will just serve breakfast and lunch.  Conversely, some don't serve breakfast, but are open for lunch and dinner.

Of the ones in Elk County that I know about:  (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Swinging Bridge Cafe serves breakfast, lunch and dinner; and is closed on Sunday.
Poplar Pizza serves lunch and dinner, and is open 7 days a week.
Toot's serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and is open 7 days a week.

I don't know about the Longton eateries.

kdtmv2003

Please correct me if I am wrong.  :)

In Howard

Popular is open Tues-Sat for lunch and dinner.  They are closed on Mon. and only serve lunch on Sunday.

Toots is open 7 days a week but they do not serve breakfast on Mon.

Daylight Donuts is open till 12:00P.M. Mon-Sat and closed Sun.  They also serve some breakfast items other than just donuts

heather_tyler_2014

kdtmv2003, you were correct about poplars and toots' hours~ thank you for mentioning the donut shop... Mmm talking about donuts, I think one of those sounds really good! lol :)
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk